Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Jan 29 2013
By: Destinkeys Uncharted Territory 1712 posts

Holding PD's feet to the fire...

[ Edited ]
26 replies 367 views Edited Jan 29, 2013

Has anyone been following the PCARS project? This is a small, underfunded company (community funded by the alpha testers) that is pulling off amazing output. Has anyone seen this, lately? PCARS Azure Coast

This is more track miles, at MUCH greater detail, including dynamic lighting, than PD have come out with in two YEARS of DLC. And it is only one of many new tracks (I'm not going to count the leftover tracks from SMS's Shift franchise). Look for the Pacific Coast Highway for yet another brand new track that is miles long...

So, what I'm trying to get at is this... How come a small game studio with few resources can come out with stuff like this, and yet a major studio like PD, with the full weight of Sony behind it, can barely develop just a few tracks in two YEARS? Have we been letting PD off the hook, letting them coast, sit on their duffs, while other hungrier outfits eat their lunch?

Rumors of Silverstone and Bathurst scans were first floated what... a YEAR ago? Don't get me wrong. I love GT5 as much as the next guy. But I am really feeling shortchanged, track-wise, these days. Now, of course I realize the PS3 is not up to the graphic detail that this video shows. But that's not the point I'm trying to make. Whether you scan and model it at PCARS detail level, or GT5's, what is plainly obvious is these guys can do it MUCH faster.

We should be holding PD's feet to the fire, making our needs and wants known, and showing them that, apparently, it CAN be done at lightning speed in comparison to PD's glacial pace of track development. One only has to think of this running on a PS4, and the GT franchise should be quaking in its boots. NOW is the time to step up the track DLC pace, not after it is too late!

Message 1 of 27 (367 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1473 posts

Re: Holding PD's feet to the fire...

Jan 29, 2013

I have heard about this game before but today is really the first time I have seen videos of the game. It's amazing how a small company like Slightly Mad Studios can create cars, tracks, and driving physics that may rival PD. I will be getting this game later on this year when it comes out. PD has had what, two years to squash the competition. Have they failed? I don't know but anyone who doubts Project Cars should take a look on YouTube and check out the videos and then try to tell everyone that PD won't lose racers to the new game.

Message 2 of 27 (345 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
3603 posts

Jan 29, 2013

A bit dramatic is it not?   I prefer the much more subtle fingers on a chalkboard.  Let's make them listen to that. 

Sure I'd love some more tracks, but I'm not that anxious about it to resort to torture references.   Besides they haven't exactly reneged on any promises and in reality they don't owe anything more for the $60 I paid a few years ago.   Nothing is plainly obvious, maybe they are not slow, maybe they are just choosing not to do it.   Maybe they're working on something else.  We don't know.

Anyway, don't take this as another PD-can-do-no-wrong reply.   I'm still having fun with this game, regardless of whether there are new tracks, and as I said I'd love some more, but just can't get that worked up about it that I need to post yet another PD-is-going-to-ruin-everything message.

Message 3 of 27 (343 Views)
Gaming Beast
2053 posts

Jan 29, 2013

I enjoy this game more and more as time goes by. I'm learning so much about racing and developing great friendships. I could care less if a new game comes out in a year or two. The only other racing game I WILL be buying is GT6 (or whatever the next title is to be). I might not be online racing as much as I used to. But thats not because I don't want to, It's because I simply don't have the time in my busy life. While the graphics and car/track list may improve from one game to another, It won't improve the amount of fun I can have while racing with my friends. Thats what GT5 is all about to me. I'm not bothered by another title being launched in the near future regardless if it could blow the doors off PD or not. I'm not worried about it. Just gonna keep on playing the game I love and continuing to meet more and more AWESOME people!! 

photo 3da2a2f2-f5ac-48ee-92a6-ef916fe7b8b4.jpg
Message 4 of 27 (336 Views)
Uncharted Territory
1712 posts

Jan 29, 2013

My post wasn't REALLY about another game blowing PD out of the water... It was simply about the PACE of their track development. It is hard to listen to people justify the lack of DLC anymore (remember, no-one is suggesting that new tracks be FREE) by saying how long it takes to do it properly. It is obvious that PD have been sandbagging horribly.

I have to confess, I am jonesing for new tracks horribly. Once you take out the rally and snow tracks (bloody near impossible to get a clean race on those!) and the ultra tight 'basher' tracks (ditto!), you start to significantly reduce the number of good raceable tracks in GT5. As our recent poll here showed, the #1 request for new 'stuff' from PD was new DLC tracks. If you are content, you are in the minority!

But we have always held that, at the level of detail that PD code new tracks, of COURSE it was reasonable they take so long to do it. Well, I'm sorry, but SMS are showing what an utter load of (well, you know!) that is. As the poll showed, driving a multitude of new cars around the old tracks isn't nearly as popular as driving the old cars round NEW tracks! And, of course (in case anyone could possible miss it) 'holding their feet to the fire' is a FIGURE OF SPEECH! Yikes!

Mind you, if this doesn't put the wind in PD's sails, perhaps they DO deserve to be blown out the water. Sure, I paid my $60... and then I bought every DLC made so far. But excusing PD with 'well, that's just how long it takes to do it right' is demonstrably false now. It can be done MUCH faster, at a level of detail that exceeds PD's by a couple of orders of magnitude.

There really no longer is an excuse. the fanbase wants tracks, they are willing to PAY for those tracks...

What's the holdup?

Message 5 of 27 (326 Views)
PlayStation MVP
2937 posts

[ Edited ]
Jan 29, 2013

Well, even with all its problems, there IS always the Course Creator.  A LOT of new tracks there, some of them quite good if you try them...

No, they do not have fresh, unique scenery.  But they are new, fresh drives.  Might just find something to hold you over, maybe?

Message 6 of 27 (314 Views)
Uncharted Territory
1712 posts

Jan 29, 2013

I'm sorry, but the fall-away blind corners of death make most of those a mockery. Not to mention, it's kind of unfair to a room to keep dragging out tracks that only you are familiar with. I'm sorry, but now that we KNOW track development really isn't the long drawn out slow process that we have all excused PD for having, I'm sorry, but Course Creator tracks are a very poor substitute for PROPER tracks.

I have always thought that blaming the slow pace on how long it takes to scan a real track doesn't quite take into account that many of GT5's favorite tracks are actually fictitious, begging the question... If you drop the time it takes to scan the track and environments, and model those to the last detail, why have fictitious DLC tracks been only the Kart Space? There's an obvious opportunity for PD to generate income making a few new ones of those. Or even (as we have seen in recent videos) return some of the favorite 'missing tracks' from GT4.

If SMS can rack up Azure Coast and Pacific Coast Highway in less time than it took to get Spa (and each of those is about Nordschliese long at least), what IS the holdup?

Message 7 of 27 (304 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
2937 posts

Jan 29, 2013

Yeah, those corners happen.  On most created tracks?  No.  On some?  Yep.  Which is why I qualified my statement with "Most".  You do get some which are unusable.  You get most though which are quite good.  And actually most of those unsuited for public racing still make good fun drives for you and perhaps a friend or two.

Unless you always use settings designed to get bad tracks.  Then I guess you could be right...  But whose fault is that?

And yes it is common courtesy to put the track you intend to use up for share and give notice to people to download it so they can get track time before the race.  Just like you give notice for any DLC you may use.  Just in this case, you know this DLC is something only you have, which is WHY you are making it DLC by sharing it.

Message 8 of 27 (297 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1645 posts

Jan 29, 2013

Regardless of the method of torture you prefer I think we'd all love a new track.  PCars has had a meteoric rise for sure but the ability to get it on a console ( no matter what they promise) is yet to be seen. Lot's of great PC sims out there already and PD won't worry till Sony starts to distance itself, highly unlikely.

Photobucket
Message 9 of 27 (272 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1044 posts

Jan 29, 2013

Destinkeys wrote:

Has anyone been following the PCARS project? This is a small, underfunded company (community funded by the alpha testers) that is pulling off amazing output. Has anyone seen this, lately? PCARS Azure Coast

This is more track miles, at MUCH greater detail, including dynamic lighting, than PD have come out with in two YEARS of DLC. And it is only one of many new tracks (I'm not going to count the leftover tracks from SMS's Shift franchise). Look for the Pacific Coast Highway for yet another brand new track that is miles long...

So, what I'm trying to get at is this... How come a small game studio with few resources can come out with stuff like this, and yet a major studio like PD, with the full weight of Sony behind it, can barely develop just a few tracks in two YEARS? Have we been letting PD off the hook, letting them coast, sit on their duffs, while other hungrier outfits eat their lunch?

Rumors of Silverstone and Bathurst scans were first floated what... a YEAR ago? Don't get me wrong. I love GT5 as much as the next guy. But I am really feeling shortchanged, track-wise, these days. Now, of course I realize the PS3 is not up to the graphic detail that this video shows. But that's not the point I'm trying to make. Whether you scan and model it at PCARS detail level, or GT5's, what is plainly obvious is these guys can do it MUCH faster.

We should be holding PD's feet to the fire, making our needs and wants known, and showing them that, apparently, it CAN be done at lightning speed in comparison to PD's glacial pace of track development. One only has to think of this running on a PS4, and the GT franchise should be quaking in its boots. NOW is the time to step up the track DLC pace, not after it is too late!

PS3 came out in 2006. Today's computers are way more powerful and can do a lot more with graphics and physics. It's much easier to develop on PCs than the PS3. PCARS is probably built upon the ISI Engine (don't know if that's the actual name) used by rFactor, since Slightly Mad bought out the people that made GTR which used the rFactor engine. And based off the modding community, the rFactor engine is very friendly for car and track developments. You can't really compare PC games to console games. 

Message 10 of 27 (271 Views)