First Son
9 posts

Re: VUE resolution and quality on sports

[ Edited ]
last month

I just got Vue set up last week on a new 2nd Gen Fire TV and a Aquos 1080 LED.  The picture on almost every station is noticibly better resolution (and contrast?) than the Roku 2 or Direct TV satellite service I came from.  I've watched a couple hockey games that look great.  I have noticed that something will occasionally adjust the resolution down when a show was started or I was monkey'ing with network settings.

I have 100/10 MBps from Comcast in Northern California.

Amazon Fire TV (2nd Gen), Pioneer VSX-919, Aquous LED 1080p, 100/10 MBps cable internet
Message 21 of 28 (384 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
1 posts

last month
I'm having the same issue. Netflix and other TV shows look great on my Sony Bravia. But the picture quality of sports has brought new meaning to March Madness! I can barely enjoy my favorite time of the year. Not sure I can stay with Vue if they don't fix this, too many other streaming options out there.
Message 22 of 28 (312 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
80 posts

last month
I haven't seen any march madness on vue, but sports are tolerable overall for me. We didn't stream at 60 fps a few months back, so if you think this is bad...

I've had relatively little issue though on my Fire tv. Resolution will normally be low when you first turn on a game, then settle in within 30 seconds or so. Hard to compare streaming it against Netflix or on demand stuff. Sling or direct tv would be fair though.

Hopefully it settles in for everyone but sure a lot of people are logged in watching those games. Hopefully Sony will stay on top of it.
Message 23 of 28 (287 Views)
0 Likes
Monster Hunter
32 posts

last month

CBS, NBC and Fox broadcast over the air at 1920x1080 30fps.  I get local CBS and Fox channels on PSV and the resolution is streamed at 960x720 30fps.   The 30fps is where you see the problem watching sports.  I have the Amazon Fire TV box.  When I want to watch sports on either of those channels, I use my outside antenna.  Actually, use an indoor Mohu antenna and it works pretty good.  My CBS and Fox channels are about 27 miles away.  I'm also trying DTVN and the only local channel I get with them is FOX, but it is streamed at 1280x720 60fps which is good.  Not sure why Sony isn't at least streaming the 720p 60fps on broadcast stations that use interlacing (30fps).  The streaming boxes don't handle interlacing very well.

Message 24 of 28 (279 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
91 posts

last month

nc4u-2 wrote:

CBS, NBC and Fox broadcast over the air at 1920x1080 30fps.  I get local CBS and Fox channels on PSV and the resolution is streamed at 960x720 30fps.   The 30fps is where you see the problem watching sports.  I have the Amazon Fire TV box.  When I want to watch sports on either of those channels, I use my outside antenna.  Actually, use an indoor Mohu antenna and it works pretty good.  My CBS and Fox channels are about 27 miles away.  I'm also trying DTVN and the only local channel I get with them is FOX, but it is streamed at 1280x720 60fps which is good.  Not sure why Sony isn't at least streaming the 720p 60fps on broadcast stations that use interlacing (30fps).  The streaming boxes don't handle interlacing very well.

Are using a gen 1 or gen 2 FireTV box and is it hard wired or wifi (I don't know if any of that makes a difference but I don't know that it doesn't either). I'm using a gen2 FireTV box hardwired. My locals, CBS, NBC, ABC, FOX, etc, are all streaming at 1280x720p 60fps for me. In fact all of the channels I have ever checked have all been streaming at 1280x720p 60fps.

Message 25 of 28 (260 Views)
0 Likes
Monster Hunter
32 posts

last month

I am using the 2nd generation Fire TV box and it is hardwired.  I just checked again this morning on my local CBS channel and it is 960x720 30fps.  Not sure why there's a difference unless it depends on where the source server is located?

Message 26 of 28 (243 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
7 posts

last month

My experience over beaucoup years with DirecTV is the original material is the villain.  Fox is globally notorious for using old crap hardware for sports other than the US Big 3 - none of which are watched in our hoiusehoild.

The benefit of Vue for me is that folks who required a DirecTV sub to activate apps on our AppleTV now accept Vue subs.  So, I continue my old habit of watching ESPN or NBCSN or FoxSportsGO on the AppleTV.  1080p upscaled to 4K is pretty snazzy.

Message 27 of 28 (205 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
119 posts

last month

edwardacampbell wrote:

The benefit of Vue for me is that folks who required a DirecTV sub to activate apps on our AppleTV now accept Vue subs.  So, I continue my old habit of watching ESPN or NBCSN or FoxSportsGO on the AppleTV.  1080p upscaled to 4K is pretty snazzy.

I will have to look into using these apps.  I just got an LG Oled TV and the 720p feed of PS Vue isn't all that great.  Picture looks soft.  I knew this would happen, but didn't think it would be quite this bad.  Other sources look great (Netflix, Amazon Youtube), so i'm fairly certian the 720p feed is the culprit.  Same issue with Hulu.  But going to give the apps a try. Thanks for posting....Smiley Happy

Message 28 of 28 (188 Views)
0 Likes