Fender Bender
4147 posts

Re: Is your PS Vue buffering constantly? Comment here!

Apr 6, 2016

MegatonA wrote:

I would say it may also be helpful if everyone comments on what device they're using, as that could possibly be a factor.

I'm using the service on PS4, and signed up Monday. Other than the systemwide issues this evening, I have had no problems whatsoever. Maybe a short hiccup going from one show to the next, but that's all. The DVR has also been great for me, as I've been using it frequently and it's one of my favorite features.

I've heard that the Fire stick doesn't seem to work well with Vue, however. Maybe they should have refrained from offering it on that device if it can't work properly.

Not just what device they are using but also:

WHat is your Internet connection speed?

Is the device you are using to stream connected with an Ethernet Cable or is it Connected Wirelessly?

If wireless, what Wireless Router do you have?

How far from the Router and what kind of walls/floors does it have to go through?

Also, are you doing things other things on the same connection, Like for example I was uploading a video to youtube while watching Vue the other night then a family member got home and fired up their streaming (probably just Netfllix) but it was enough to cause buffering that was solved instantly by stopping the Youtube upload (Youtube upload, like downloading apps from Google Play store are major bandwidth hogs that don't know how to share) so if you only have issues streaming when doing things like that, that is something to think about.

Be Sure and check my thread with helpful videos on Vue http://community.us.playstation.com/t5/PlayStation-Vue-Support/PS-Vue-Tips-and-Tricks-videos/td-p/45709707
Message 31 of 814 (9,255 Views)
Fender Bender
4147 posts

[ Edited ]
Apr 6, 2016

Ffjigfj wrote:

Same issue and am sad.  I wanted this to work soooo badly.  I had cut the cable and had all the streaming services as well as Sling.  Sling seems to run better while watching a show, but I feel the Vue's pic quality is better.  The pause is a joke and not being able to start a show that you DVR until it is done is also CRAP. Nothing works as well as my TIVo with a good antenna. just need them to add Sling or Vue, if they get their act together.  When someone gets this right, they will rule the world!

Sling seams to use about half the badwidth of Vue, more in line with the bandwdth requirements of Netflix and Hulu, which would explain why it has less buffering issues. Also I don't know what your problem with the DVR is, I have on several channels (tested on both Discovery and Comedy Central) been watching a program LIVE and then Switched to Start Over in the middle of the show and had full DVR fast forward/rewind for the recorded portion, heck I even made a video Monday night showing it working with the NEW episode of Misfit Garage on Discovery channel. Here is the video:

Be Sure and check my thread with helpful videos on Vue http://community.us.playstation.com/t5/PlayStation-Vue-Support/PS-Vue-Tips-and-Tricks-videos/td-p/45709707
Message 32 of 814 (9,247 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
1 posts

Apr 8, 2016

I have a 50Mbps connection and have my fire stick tv right next to my router. Shows constantly buffer eventhough I have an excellent connection signal. I am assuming sony underestimated the demand when they rolled the service out to other cities. Hope they get it working more efficient or I am going to have to cancel.

Message 33 of 814 (9,219 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
250 posts

Apr 8, 2016

I've had the service for one month and it has gone from really good to absolutely terrible.  I have Optimum Online 50/25.  My bitrate speed  is 5200 with download speed  between 38000.00 and 42000.00 on a wired (CAT cable connected) connection from apple extreme router to the PS4. Vue  App version is 2.4.3.26

I'm off work today, I'ts 8:40 AM EST right now and was trying to watch Disney XD Star Wars rebels (episode "always two there are") live and after a few minutes it was skipping and buffering, again I'm on a hard wired connection as described above with bitrate etc the same.  I'm trying to watch DVR of same episode and there is skipping/buffering every 3-5 seconds.  Also my DVR shows make me suffer 5 minutes or more of the previous show (in this case it was lab rats) before the actual episode of rebels airs.  Ugh, I hate this.  

This does not happen with live TV for the most part but I have had problems with it once or twice over the month.  This is at least the 4th time in a month that this happens with DVR show and it's not just rebels.  

It took a very long time to convince my wife to cut cable service with Optimum; her biggest issue is only having DVR for 28 days.  It's only been a month so far but the DVR is driving her crazy too, it happens on the major networks (ABC NBC CBS).  Her connection is also wired to an amazon fire tv.  

We have no issues with Netflix, Amazon Prime, or youtube on both the ps4 and the Fire TV.  I also have no issues with Apple TV wired or wireless with the same apps so it's not my internet connection.  

I'm sorry to say if this continues I might have to reluctanctly make a deal with the pesky customer service representative that keeps calling me to offer me the triple play for 79.99 plus taxes/fees but I've had enough of them jacking up the rate after a year and the hidden fees, and going through the hassle of returning the cable boxes remotes etc.  I went to playstation vue to teach them a lesson.  I didn't do so until ABC/Disney was picked up.  

I am trying to ride this out because i'm that sick of the cable company monopoly going on between Optimum, Time Warner, Verizon.  I live in an area where there is only Optimum so they really don't do much for you until you leave them for a month or so.  If  I had option of verizon FIOS I would have no problem flip flopping every year or two to whoever gives me the best deal. 

Hopefully they fix this issue, in the meantime I have to find another way to catch up on Star Wars Rebels.  

x------Infinitygamer.com - Next Gen Gaming news for the hardcore gamer! - Coming Soon!
Message 34 of 814 (9,203 Views)
First Son
5 posts

Apr 12, 2016
Seems to be a buffering issue on channels that are highly watched during peak hours. This is coming off the PlayStation Vue servers. They didn't seem to expect this much traffic this fast it seems. If you watch a channel that doesn't get super high ratings, it's fine. So as you watch a national channel with a highly watched show, I can't see more than 10 seconds at a time. It's a shame.
Message 35 of 814 (9,144 Views)
First Son
7 posts

[ Edited ]
Apr 12, 2016

I've had the same problems.  I live in St. Paul, MN and use Comcast for my internet service.  My speeds are 75mb/s down and 5mb/s up.  My only device is the PS4, and I'm subscribed to the Core Slim package.  I have used 3 different routers on both WiFi and LAN connections to test the service, and it made no difference in terms of performance.

The service seemed to work OK when I started my one-week trial during the nation-wide launch weekend, but it has gone downhill ever since.  I have noticed occasional buffering, but the biggest issue for me is the difficulty that Vue seems to have with maintaining a solid HD picture at 60 fps.  This probably isn't noticeable for people watching regular TV shows and movies that are filmed at 24 fps, but it's a big problem for sports fans.  Based on my experience, ESPN and ESPN2 are the only sports channels that are consistently running at a smooth 60 fps.  Other sports channels like NBCSN, FS1, FS2, and Fox Sports North (regional) rarely make it past 30 fps and sometimes scale down in terms of resolution.

I'm really not sure what is causing these issues, but it's almost impossible to watch fast-moving sports like hockey at 30 fps.  I have reported these issues to the Playstation Network page on Twitter, but the only responses I received were the typical "please power cycle your modem" and "check for the latest firmware/software updates."  I can guarantee it's not a hardware issue because Netflix, Hulu, and Sling TV never had these problems.  Sony has even admitted that Vue service has a 30 fps limit on all Amazon Fire devices (see link below), so it's possible they may have placed the same limitation on certain channels regardless of device.

http://community.us.playstation.com/t5/PlayStation-Vue-Support/Choppy-video-is-everything-streamed-a...

I really hope they can get these issues fixed because Playstation Vue has the potential to seriously compete with cable and satellite TV.  I was so excited when this service launched, but I am probably going to cancel after just one month if the performance doesn't improve. 

Would anyone from Sony care to comment on this?  Are there certain channels that are capped at 30 fps regardless of device?  Does it make a difference which market/region the subscriber is located in?  I think Vue subscribers would appreciate honest answers more than anything else.

Message 36 of 814 (9,139 Views)
First Son
5 posts

Apr 12, 2016
I was really excited to cancel my uverse tv service. I am a AT&T employee. I know the ins and outs of every bit of the Internet service as I work on it. This is not a provider problem. This is as stated above. A app issue on Amazon Fire tv, or as I believe a issue with the massive amount of unexpected traffic. This needs to be resolved quickly. I will cancel quickly as I have 6 tv's and kids who are mad that this does not work as well as our last tv service. Please fix this!!!
Message 37 of 814 (9,133 Views)
First Son
11 posts

Apr 12, 2016
I had same problems but i plugged muy ethernet cord in and out has been flawless since. Full bars no buffering even when downloading on muy laptop it plays with no buffer. Change ps settings yup wired connection. Hopefully this helps. I was frustrated ready to cancel now i really enjoy vue.
Message 38 of 814 (9,107 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
2 posts

Apr 12, 2016

mines been working flawless for the past 2 weeks, i love it. i had a little bit of buffering problems a week after launch but they have since disappeared, i have also since upgraded to the top plan.

Message 39 of 814 (9,103 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
4129 posts

Apr 12, 2016
Mine works really well. Rarely a hiccup.

Comcast 25 down 5 up
Message 40 of 814 (9,074 Views)
0 Likes