Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
First Son
18 posts

Re: Why would the Vita keep dropping my wireless connection?

Dec 27, 2012

This is pretty much my problem as well..I got mine on Christmas and connected/updated that day just fine then within a few hours to a day it did what you were saying...talking about it not connecting in time (timing out) so I did a full restart on the psv and it did the same thing worked for a bit on first then started timing out all over again.

From experiments I notice it does not work at all if I put the wpa password in manually it only works when I use the secure setup button/option on the psv and my Cisco router.

Also, "get a better stronger router" isnt good advice at all, especially considering majority of people (including me) have multiple devices working just fine off our wifi routers and our vita's alone suddenly rendering them "outdated" or in need of upgrading is highly unlikely...

Message 81 of 105 (1,681 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
218 posts

[ Edited ]
Dec 27, 2012

The Vita will automatically connect to the first wireless access point it finds you've saved in the wi-fi settings. It has for me occasionally used the mobile connection rather than establishing a wi-if connection. I've never experianced problems with it timing out, or forcing a vita reset or router reset.

The Vita will disconnect from the wi-fi hotspot a few seconds after the screen goes black unless there is something running keeping the connection open (like Skype or Music Unlimited). Otherwise it will disconnect when the PlayStation button goes dark.

Hint Hint!

The problem exists I beleive in the how the Vita displays it's current connection state and info to the user. Connecting to PSN always displays "please wait..." and nothing more. This is easily misinterpreted as any number of things, like establishing a wi-fi connection. And this isn't the only misleading information the Vita displays.

For example, it displays "NAT type" followed by "1," "2" or "3". Well "1" means a direct connection (no NAT) and is only possible when connecting ad-hoc mode. You would never actually expect to get this value. "2" means that the Vita is able to listen on a reserved port that PSN games listed on. But only one Playstation device on a network can listen on this port at any given time. So any PS3 or Vita also connected will prevent a type "2" connection.  

This leaves type "3". Which is really the only type necessary and the type you probably connect as. Other devices (your computers, ipads, iphones, erc) don't display this. It's because it's not helpful or relevent. But Sony for some reason insists it be displayed. 

Message 82 of 105 (1,669 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
18 posts

Dec 27, 2012

So I found a fix to my issue atleast. I wanted to wait atleast a day to see that this really is a fix since it took around that long to get the issue.

All I had to do was update my router's firmware. I did alot of googling and it seems that thats what a decent amount of people had to do. If this doesn't fix your issue I am sorry but if you havn't tried it I would def. look into this.

also, in replay to "MeStinkBAD" I think thats more of just a displaying issue rather than it causing anything, since when a vita displays a "please wait..." during PSN login..if there is a problem 9 times out of 10 it will not leave you sitting there and actually tell you there is a time out or other issue with the connection. But either way I agree with you that that vita displayng nat is pretty useless and  may lead to use confusion.

Message 83 of 105 (1,649 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
1 posts

Dec 27, 2012
Mine is the internet says its on then i click on say youtube and it doesent load i click on facebook it doesent load i click on browser it dont work it just loads forever, Now im on my laptop and its working fine, PLZ HELP! ive got the 3G/WIFI version and im not toppin up becos i dont need to yet, but its annyoying, i want to play online on black ops and i want to add friends! WHAT DO I DOO?
Message 84 of 105 (1,631 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
2 posts

Mar 25, 2013

The same thing happened to me. I'd turn on my Vita, only to have applications like Facebook or LiveTweet not work. I had to restore it eventually.

Message 85 of 105 (1,159 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
2 posts

Apr 20, 2013

how do i go to wireless network configation to change the channel bandwith to 20/40 mhz?

Message 86 of 105 (1,082 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
119 posts

Apr 20, 2013
Try this, in primary DNS enter: 4.2.2.2, and in secondary DNS enter: 4.2.2.1 I hope it helps.
Message 87 of 105 (1,075 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
2 posts

Apr 21, 2013

I have the SOLUTION: go back to the store where you purchase your PS 'vita and exchange it for a new one.  Did this morning and tried to connect the PS Vita to Internet via our access point and it did work with no issue at all!  I think the first unit we got was defective.

I am quite disappointed with Sony.  I trust the name Sony so much and I wonder what happened with their PS Vita product.  Where's the QA?  What happened.  Looking at the this thread of customer complaint, I am very much disappointed with Sony.  I just hope that they do something about it as this was a very frustrating experience for me and my son!

Message 88 of 105 (1,064 Views)
First Son
1 posts

Apr 30, 2013

Just bought a PS Vita (Wireless version only) today and tried to connect it to the internet.  Have at&t as the provider for the home network. When we went to put the security password in and it said it could not connect in the amount of time given.  Then we put it in manually and it did not give the error code,  but it did not work when we went to the Playstation Network.  Not sure why it is not working.  Other devices work fine.  Thank you for the help!  God bless

Message 89 of 105 (1,010 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
2 posts

Jul 8, 2013

my internet connection is perfect when it comes to surfing the web but i have just one problem with my vita and the problem is that it tells me that i left the game when i know i did not. i know its a sign that it lost connection, i hope that they fix the internet problem

Message 90 of 105 (760 Views)
0 Likes