Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Uncharted Territory
1846 posts

Re: Why would the Vita keep dropping my wireless connection?

Feb 17, 2012

Others here have posted about the same exact symptoms and it appears that Sony has set it so that the wifi will disconnect when it's idle, for some reason. I guess to save battery power.

Get your Portable ID!
Motorstorm 80GB Bundle w/ 320GB HDD
Please use plain text.
Message 31 of 105 (987 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
22 posts

Feb 17, 2012

Count me in as another with this same issue, if it is indeed an issue and not a feature. It seems kind of random when the WiFi goes away though.

I also found d/ls last night (from PSN) were super-slow and it seemed like maybe when the Vita went to standby the WiFi was shutting off and pausing the download. But I need to experiment more on that one...

Oh and hey yeah, it might help if we compiled a list of routers that are exhibiting the problem.

For me, I'm on a FiOS provided ActionTec router.

Please use plain text.
Message 32 of 105 (987 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
662 posts

Feb 17, 2012

I'm going to do some tests myself.

I *seems* to me that the wireless connection credentials are stored in memory or something and there is a problem when the unit suspends, goes into low-power and then tries to "wake-up" and access the wireless access point.

Of course, I'm moving between access points.

I have done two things that seem to be successful:

1) Power off the Vita and power it on again (complete cycle)

2) Power off the access point and power it back on (which is something I only do with my mobile hotspot - I'm not rebooting my LAN routers every time the Vita has a hissy-fit.

My home router (Apple Extreme BaseStation) seems very happy with the Vita.  My mobile hotspot (Apple 4 iPhone is less pleased to serve it consistently - or the other way around)

I can see the Vita attempting to communicate with the hotspot when I go and select "connect" - so this is why I think it's a credential issue and not just a power issue.

Please use plain text.
Message 33 of 105 (987 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
11 posts

Feb 17, 2012

The Wifi goes off to save power, it turns back on when you need it. So if your loading an app

or a game the requires it, then it kicks back on.

Please use plain text.
Message 34 of 105 (987 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
78 posts

Feb 17, 2012

That's all good but most of the time it don't come back on, good example when in the content manger in order to trasfer you have to be signed in and it causes issue when your connection stops or is not connected  and having to connect all the time really sucks, There should be a option to keep this on or have a power save option

Please use plain text.
Message 35 of 105 (987 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
296 posts

Feb 17, 2012

If that's true, Sony are a bunch of idiots.  If I'm at home, I sure don't want it to disconnect, unless I physically do it...God this thing is just crashing and burning the more I read....

Please use plain text.
Message 36 of 105 (987 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
142 posts

Feb 17, 2012

I can just imagine the whining if it didn't disconnect when it isn't being used and your battery was dead in 3 hours.

I think it is setup perfectly.

Please use plain text.
Message 37 of 105 (987 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
673 posts

Feb 17, 2012

Guys, just be patient. Give it a month at least, and I'm sure we'll have an update fixing some of the problems. It's in "beta" stage really, because it's not released globally for another 5 days.

Please use plain text.
Message 38 of 105 (987 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
22 posts

Feb 17, 2012

I can't speak for anyone else, but I'm not being impatient..just trying to ascertain whether this is a bug or a feature.

Is anyone NOT having this issue? Does anyone have a Vita that just stays connected to WiFi all the time? If it's happening to everyone then I'll assume its a feature.

Saying it's a battery-saving feature is great except then why does it happen when the Vita is connected to the charger? And why doesn't the 3G also shut down? My worry is that this is eating into my 250 mb of 3G bandwidth. I'm assuming the Vita is checking to see if I have messages from friends and stuff every so often, and when I'm home I'd rather it do that via WiFi than 3G. As far as I can tell it isn't...it's using 3G to do all that stuff.

If it's a bug, then I'd like to try to either fix it on my end, or give Sony data they can use to fix it on their end.

Please use plain text.
Message 39 of 105 (987 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
1 posts

Feb 17, 2012

Add me to the list of people with the problem. I have a wifi only model.

The wifi also disconnects after doing a test connection and doesn't automatically reconnect. I'll be sitting at the wifi settings watching the list refresh over and over without it actually connecting to my access point. It should be doing this especially since I didn't check off the box in advanced settings titled "Do not automatically connect". The PS3 has no problem automatically connecting to my access point.

As harsh as this may sound I really hope these aren't isolated issues so that it gets looked into and that an answer will come to us soon.

Please use plain text.
Message 40 of 105 (987 Views)
0 Likes