Aug 04 2012
By: Battle_Cleric_99 First Son 4 posts
Accepted Solution

WPA-Enterprise Wi-Fi Update?

5 replies 1684 views Edited Aug 4, 2012

I've searched for updates on whether or not there are plans to update the Wi-Fi on the Vita to function in WPA-Enterprise environments like the on I have on my 30,000 person campus.  http://www.itap.purdue.edu/newsroom/detail.cfm?NewsId=2511

Neither google nor a forum search here has yielded promising results. 

Does anyone have a solution around this? 

Yes I have the 3G model and I've ponied up the $30 for one month but this is absolutely crazy that I have free Wi-Fi all over my campus and I might as well be in the middle of a cornfield having to puddle along on 3G.

Would custom firmware need to be in order to use this type of Wi-Fi? i.e. like the remote play PS3 functionality I see on Youtube that is bluntly blocked on Sony's end?

Why can an IPOD have this but the Vita cannot?  Are they so busy trying not to be seen as a potential competitor that they're sabotaging their own product? 

Sony, just because someone else made a round wheel first doesn't mean your wagon needs square ones.  This Wi-Fi oversight is pretty glaring, unecessary, and easily fixed.

Please consider removing software chokes to your device.  Honestly, you're not getting that much of a cut from the AT&T deal. More Vitas sold > AT&T cut.

Message 1 of 6 (1,684 Views)
MVP Support
19663 posts

Re: WPA-Enterprise Wi-Fi Update?

Aug 5, 2012

This forum isn't the place to request new features for Sony products.  No one that works in Playstation Vita product development ever reads this forum.  They probably aren't allowed to.  If you want to request this from Sony, you need to post it to the PS Blog Share site (http://share.blog.us.playstation.com/).  That is where customers can post ideas for Playstation products that Sony will actually read and consider. No Playstation product has ever supported an enterprise wireless security protocol, and it isn't likely that the Vita will be the exception.  It is a licensing cost issue, primarily.  Adding these protocols would cost Sony a lot of money in license fees, and few users would ever use them; because this is a consumer device.  By the way, the reason that campuses use enterprise wireless protocols is to be able to track student use of the computer network better.  The school obviously isn't interested in supporting a broad range of wireless devices, and that isn't Sony's fault.  WPA-enterprise isn't more secure from hacking than WPA-PSK.  It just allows more control over network access. 

GKP
Message 2 of 6 (1,673 Views)
First Son
4 posts

Aug 6, 2012

Thanks for the reply. 

Over in the Sony Online Entertainment division (EQ2) I've been trained that forums were the go to place for consumer-company dialogue and it is good to know that this forum isn't where policy changes.

I also didn't realize that fees to license a non-ubiquitous product (PS Vita) to access Enterprise networks weren't trivial.  I speculated that if every petty device had one there weren't that many technical reasons why the Vita could not.

On my campus I think that most of the reason the network must be controlled is so that the university isn't sued by movie/music IP owners who hold the institution responsible for illegal sharing although now since 2006-ish when Apple got the system right it's more effort to pirate than it is to purchase legitimately. 

Back in 08' some music studio slammed a couple of token undergraduates with $9,000 in fines to scare the rest of their age group into line.  They were able to do it since Enterprise leaves a clear trail

Thanks again..

Message 3 of 6 (1,662 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
1 posts

Mar 7, 2013

thats rubbish. its nothing to do with not wanting to support a broad range of devices - its all to do with

ensuring that people can use the wireless in a secure fashion (WPA2/AES being the most secure encryption for

wireless transit) and have a way of ensuring only the right people join the campus network - ie they've validated

themselves using their userid/password  (its got nothing to do with 'tracking people' as thats against most laws).

WPA2/PSK cannot be used...because everyone would use the same password....and after a tiny fraction of time the WORLD

would know what the password was to get wifi on that campus....and if someone did something dodgy then you

cannot simply stop them from accessing the network with any device - you'd have to change the password.  so that'd

be a daily change of the password that everyone needs to know.

web based authentication is also poor/bad - as not only do you not have any wireless encryption, but all traffic passes

through the captive portal(bottleneck/SPF) but also a LOT of devices are a right pain to have to open a browser and

type in details.

802.1X is *THE* way of doing things properly.....and excuses from manufacturers who dont support it just dont wash. even basic smartphones do it these days - and its just a fail that the PS Vita doesnt support it.... especailly since a major demographic of Sony - that of the 18-24 year olds will be students at Universities - where they have 'eduroam' wireless network...which is not just WPA/WPA2 enterprise but also allows them to log into the wireless at all other universities who are part of the eduroam service. which is thousands.

I'd like more info/evidence on these licencing costs for WPA/WPA2 Enterpise that you talk about 

alan

Message 4 of 6 (1,412 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
51 posts

[ Edited ]
Oct 26, 2013

There isn't any licensing cost associated with (most) wireless protection protocols...they are industry standards that are publicly defined by the IEEE and freely available, not software.

PEAP / EAP-MCHAPv2 (the protocol you probably have on your university, its what i have), which was jointly developed by CISCO, Microsoft and RSA  also has no licensing cost...These are not proprietary things, there is even an open source PEAP project...Companies create these protocols so that they can try to increase wireless security.

The fact that Sony is unwililing to support this, the most common wifi authentication protocol on Campus' in NA is kind of weird.  So what if it has never been supported before...

Message 5 of 6 (932 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
19663 posts

Oct 27, 2013

There is a licensing cost if you don't want to write your own networking code from scratch based on the published protocol specifications, which Sony isn't going to do, because it isn't in the networking software business.  The fact that a protocol is published doesn't mean that it doesn't infringe on patents that would have to be licensed before you could sell products based on the protocol either. Commercial companies create everything in the hope of making money.  Not to increase security for the public good.  Even universities are not that altruistic anymore. Hopefully you don't actually work in this field.

It is irrelevant anyway.  Playstation products are intended for recreational use, and are designed to be used on home and public Wi-Fi networks; which never use WPA-Enterprise because it would be impractical to issue unique passwords or X.509 certificates to each user or device on those networks.  Playstation products are not designed to be used on institutional networks, which are the only ones that use WPA-Enterprise.  WPA-Enterprise doesn't protect data in transit any better than WPA2-PSK does. What WPA-Enterprise does is to identify who is using the network, and what specific content they are transferring. Universities have started to adopt enterprise security, not to protect student data, but to protect themselves from copyright-holder lawsuits resulting from students that continue to download and share pirated music, videos, and software; after they were instructed to stop doing that on the school network.

That isn't Sony"s problem.  It is very unlikely that Sony will go to the expense of supporting enterprise Wi-Fi protocols, just so that a small percentage of Vita owners can connect their Vitas to Wi-Fi networks at work, or on campuses.  That isn't likely to increase Vita sales in the US enough to make it worth the investment.   

GKP
Message 6 of 6 (915 Views)
0 Likes