Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Feb 04 2013
By: nduval First Son 14 posts

Vita referral problems

16 replies 382 views Edited Feb 4, 2013

Not even sure who I should try to contact about this?

I play an online game where I come into contact with people from various parts of the world.  I'm in the US.  I started talking to one guy about games, and telling him about the Vita, and PS+.  He was very interested, and later told me he planned to get one.  I remembered the email about getting a $20 PSN credit for referring a person to buy a Vita, so I registered and sent him the invite, which he accepted.  Later he got the Vita, but the site will not take his serial #.

The problem, I can only guess, is that he is in Canada.  He is supposed to get credit through for following through the registration, so we both are missing out here.  Any chance someone can lend a hand with this?

Message 1 of 17 (382 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
4 posts

Re: Vita referral problems

Feb 5, 2013

I am having the same problem, except my friend and are are both in the U.S.  Would appreciate any help

Message 2 of 17 (367 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
15439 posts

Feb 5, 2013

The referral program is available only to US residents; so yes, our long-suffering neighbors to the north have been left out in the cold again. You'll have to convince Americans to buy a Vita to earn program rewards. 

GKP
Message 3 of 17 (353 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
15439 posts

Feb 5, 2013

AnnieDayNow wrote:

I am having the same problem, except my friend and are are both in the U.S.  Would appreciate any help

The referral program is being handled by a third-party vendor.  No Sony employees are directly involved, so customer support has no way to resolve issues with the referral site, which is operated by the vendor.  The vendor seems to be expecting Sony to handle customer questions, but probably no one told the customer support management.  Make sure that your friend entered the serial number correctly. The first two characters are letters, and the remaining characters are digits.

GKP
Message 4 of 17 (350 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
14 posts

Feb 5, 2013

The email points support links right to the Sony Vita page.  I did call and speak with someone on the phone who told me to not enter the serial number (starts with HU), but said I should be entering the other number (starts with  DC+9 digits) Also it didn't mention region restrictions, so phooey on them.  I was rubbing my hands with anticipation of that $20!   I could see it was a third party, and they seem to not be doing a very good job for you guys.

Message 5 of 17 (348 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
15439 posts

Feb 5, 2013

No.  The number on the left is the model number.  That's useless.  All the Vitas of a specific hardware and firmware combination have the same one, so it isn't proof of purchase.  The serial number is the one on the right that is labeled Serial Number.  You no doubt guessed that.  I would try entering the serial number with and without the HU, but the program is definitely restricted to US residents.

GKP
Message 6 of 17 (345 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
48 posts

Feb 5, 2013

the barcode number is not useless. sony support will ask you for that number instead of the serial number

but thank you for trying

Message 7 of 17 (342 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
15439 posts

Feb 5, 2013

That is because Sony wants to know which exact Vita model that you have, and either the model number or the serial number can provide that information. The model number is better in that case, as customer support doesn't care which specific unit you have.  In this case, the model number is useless, because it isn't unique to each Vita; and therefore does not prevent the same console from being submitted to the referral program more than once.

GKP
Message 8 of 17 (337 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
48 posts

Feb 5, 2013

we are talking about the dc part on the bar code correct? how about you call sony tech support and ask them why they want the barcode number and not the serial number

Message 9 of 17 (333 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
22 posts

Feb 7, 2013

**bleep** I am in the US and someone referred me, and I have errors when entering my Serial Number as well!

Sony please fix this, I'm emailing you guys about this right now.

Message 10 of 17 (292 Views)
0 Likes