Feb 17 2012
By: Kenobi First Son 19 posts

Touchscreen Unresponsive while Plugged In

36 replies 3432 views Edited Feb 17, 2012

Anyone else have an issue with the Vita?

The touchscreen becomes completely unresponsive when plugged in (either via the AC charger or connected to a PS3).  I spent 90 minutes on the phone with Customer Support last night trying to diagnose the problem with the unresponisve screen (no success) but noticed later in the evening that the screen worked again once I had disconnected the device (in some instances I also needed to power down and restart).

I have the WiFi/3G model with the updated firmware (I believe it is 1.6).

Any inputs/suggestions/feedback appreciated.

Message 1 of 37 (3,432 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
461 posts

Re: Touchscreen Unresponsive while Plugged In

Feb 17, 2012

A lot of devices will Clock down or get like this if your A/C current isnt supplying enough power to keep up. My phone does this, and well if I plug it into a knock-off wall usb plug it gets pretty bad. I would check your power line see if currents are going through properly or maybe you have a bad cable even...

Message 2 of 37 (3,432 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
19 posts

Feb 17, 2012

I am experiencing the issue with 3 different Vitas all using the official Sony Cables that were packed in with the units.

Message 3 of 37 (3,432 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
461 posts

Feb 17, 2012

Yea I would totaly check your outlets then. Its not possible for all 3 to malfunction like that. Do you have something like this?

Message 4 of 37 (3,432 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
132 posts

Feb 17, 2012

Ive only had this problem once with my evo 4g phone with some knockoff chargers. have you tried charging at a different location?

Message 5 of 37 (3,432 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
19 posts

Feb 17, 2012

I honestly don't think the charger is the issue since it happens when connected to the PS3 as well.

Message 6 of 37 (3,432 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
132 posts

Feb 17, 2012

all i can think of its either the outlet or the charger cable itself if it happens for more than one vita

Message 7 of 37 (3,432 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
461 posts

Feb 17, 2012

ZorrosRage wrote:

all i can think of its either the outlet or the charger cable itself if it happens for more than one vita

Which is exactly why I linked him charge tester Uhm Kenobi are you using direct-in or a power strip?

Message 8 of 37 (3,432 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
19 posts

Feb 17, 2012

Here's where it gets even more interesting: it happens with 3 different charging cables. 

I bought 3 different Vitas (one for me and one for each of my boys - ages 6 & 8).  Two of them were unresponsive out of the box (tried setting them up while they were plugged in).  The third worked initially right out of the box while charging but later became unresponsive when I connected it to the PS3).

It was/is extremely frustrating.  Have never seen anything else like this iPhone, PSP, 3DS, etc...

Message 9 of 37 (3,432 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
461 posts

Feb 17, 2012

Kenobi wrote:

Here's where it gets even more interesting: it happens with 3 different charging cables. 

I bought 3 different Vitas (one for me and one for each of my boys - ages 6 & 8).  Two of them were unresponsive out of the box (tried setting them up while they were plugged in).  The third worked initially right out of the box while charging but later became unresponsive when I connected it to the PS3).

It was/is extremely frustrating.  Have never seen anything else like this iPhone, PSP, 3DS, etc...

Thats because iphones, psps, 3ds, ec have such little power draw when charging compared to High-end phones & mobile devices. Whats happening is theyre bieng underpowered. If they all act like that then I would def check your wiring. Even if the house is new, people screw up biig time. It would also explain why the PS3 is doing the same, not enough power to PS3 = not enough power to properly supply USB with enough draw to charge the Vita at the proper levels.

Message 10 of 37 (3,432 Views)
0 Likes