Dec 27 2012
By: LazyShady PlayStation MVP 999 posts

Resetting PlayStation Vita / Black Screen fix.

10 replies 29608 views Edited Dec 27, 2012

I've been working on the vita for a while and notice that many people around me are experiencing something I call Which can 

"Black Screen" occur after freezing or just randomly. 

It's when the Vita has a black screen after "Unzipping" to go to the menu or charging the Vita after Dying completely.
It can lock your Vita from loading to the "unzip to unlock" screen and keep resetting your Vita. 

This is just something I have noticed and taken into account of making a guide onto how it can fixed if it happens to anyone in the PlayStation Vita community. 

Note: This isn't an actual problem with all Vitas nor does it mean that your Vita is venerable to black screen. BUT, all 

Vitas could become frozen due to the things that trigger Black screen. Sometimes, the Vita freezing can lead to Black Screen.

Things that trigger the Black Screen

• Pressing the power button constantly while the Vita is in need of more charge. ( The Vita requires a certain amount of time to be charged enough to boot up) 
  • Ejecting the memory card while the game is being saved
  • Ejecting the memory card while content is being installed
  • Ejecting the memory card during transferring files via Ps3/PC

Before learning how to fix your Vita from Black Screen, you need to know Soft reset and Hard reset. 

In order to Soft Reset your PlayStation Vita, you need to hold down the power button for 5 - 8 seconds.

This will turn off your vita completely.

In order to Hard Reset your PlayStation Vita, you will need to hold down the Power button, the Right trigger button, and the PlayStation logo button at the same time. 

**MAKE SURE YOUR VITA IS CHARGED BEFORE ATTEMPTING.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1. If your PlayStation Vita is frozen, do a Soft Reset
  2. If your PlayStation Vita loads up with a black screen (meaning it's just blank), Do a Soft Reset                                                   ...Remember, when doing a Soft Reset for #1 Blue, the power up screen will pop up. If your Vita is frozen, the popped up power settings will not work with touch screen or analog sticks, just continue holding the power button.                                                        

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1.  *PlayStation Vita was frozen and I did a Soft Reset but I got a Black Screen.

Power off your Vita and take out the Memory card, then restart the vita and follow the prompt messages. Re insert your card when appropriate. 

2. *My PlayStation Vita loaded up as a black screen and Soft Reseting did not fix the issue.

Do the same steps as #1 Yellow.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If Soft Reseting did not work, and taking out the memory didn't work, then you might have to do a Hard Reset. 

1. Load the Hard Reset menu which will look like this. Doing it succesfully will lead you to Safe Mode.IMG_0785.JPG

Only three options here worked for me as I didn't even bother to touch the Format Memory Card.

1. Restart the Ps Vita system through Hard Reset

2. Rebuild the Database (The people that handed their Vitas to me for fixing, I made sure there was no memory card in the slot.)
3.Restore the PS Vita system

Option one usually worked for me right away. 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you need help on anything, leave a post here. Check out how to back-up your saved games here

Try my Vita theme Editor *Beta*!

photo 4fc81dda-42ac-43fc-8fa0-797ea986ead1_zpsd00221f5.jpg
Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 11 (29,608 Views)
First Son
32 posts

Re: Resetting PlayStation Vita / Black Screen fix.

Dec 27, 2012

Haven't had this problem, but this is some pretty good advice to keep in mind if my vita starts acting up.

♪ I gave up! ♪
Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 11 (29,589 Views)
PlayStation MVP
999 posts

[ Edited ]
Dec 27, 2012

MissCirque wrote:

Haven't had this problem, but this is some pretty good advice to keep in mind if my vita starts acting up.

Thanks, have your tried the Vita theme editor i made?

Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 11 (29,559 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
11 posts

Dec 27, 2012

Kudos.

Nice, you added a Disqus. 

Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 11 (29,555 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
999 posts

Dec 28, 2012

BoxToxZero wrote:

Kudos.

Nice, you added a Disqus. 

If only i got more credit...

Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 11 (29,538 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
2 posts

May 18, 2013

I have a black screen and I cant seem to get this to work. it always turns on with a blank screen, i can hear the BGM though.

Please use plain text.
Message 6 of 11 (28,811 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
8 posts

Jun 15, 2013

I had an issue like this as well.  My Vita has been on the shelf for a few months.  I sent my Vita in for repair, but got an e-mail that it was "accidental damage".  I know this is not the case, it has not been dropped.  I have pics that show there is no chips/nicks to the device.  The screen has no damage to it.  Sony said it was the under screen that was damaged.  I did purchase the accidental damage plan, but that only can be used time and I don't think it should be used for this case.  I have a few calls in to Sony to see how they handle this.  I'll keep everyone posted. 

Please use plain text.
Message 7 of 11 (28,405 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
1 posts

Dec 23, 2013
See my Playstation Vita has a cracked screen and i wanted to know how to fix that without sending it in and spending $129.
Please use plain text.
Message 8 of 11 (18,236 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
1 posts

Dec 23, 2013

My PS Vita had this problem after I was updating it, but after the update reached 100% the whole thing froze. I let it sit for a while and nothing had happened. I tried to hold down the power button, but nothing the screen wouldn't shut off so I decided to just tap the power button and it worked. It's had a black screen ever since. When I tap the power button nothing happens, but if I hold down the power button for about four seconds, the playstation button lights up blue. I have to hold the button down for five seconds to turn the light off and when I do it lights up even brighter and then flashes twice before turning back off. When I hold the power button, playstation logo, and the right trigger at the same time, it goes into safe mode and the only options I have are 1. Restart PS Vita (which only takes it back to a black screen with the logo lighted up) and 5. Update System Software. When I hit update it asks if I want to use a PS3 System, PC, from PS Vita Card, and cancel. I don't have a PS3 so I cannot use  that option. When I use my computer It says the latest version of this software is already installed. When I update from the PS Vita Card, It says "Cannot find the file." I have tried all of your steps and none of them work for me. My Vita has been like this for months now and I would really like to use it again so if you can help me I would really appreciate it.

Please use plain text.
Message 9 of 11 (18,183 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
1 posts

Apr 22, 2014
What did you about this problem? I'm having the same issue with my son's vita.
Please use plain text.
Message 10 of 11 (6,104 Views)
0 Likes