PlayStation Moderator
4145 posts

Re: Problems With MP4 Videos On The Vita?

Feb 4, 2013

Moved from Vita General. :womantongue:

space_cape!!

Message 11 of 16 (185 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
19926 posts

Feb 5, 2013

An MP4 file is just a container.  The video can be encoded in dozens of different formats. The Vita only plays one of them, which is H.264 High profile AAC.  The Vita does not play all video formats that the PSP plays.  The Vita does not play all video formats that the PS3 plays.  

GKP
Message 12 of 16 (178 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
10 posts

Feb 5, 2013

Yes, this was/is the profile I picked when converting video files: "H.264 High profile AAC" I am aware MP4 is just a container/format but econding may differ but I made sure I followed everything to get the best results. Like I've said though, it's not about getting the Vita to play the videos but I do not know why does the Vita or the CMA software had trouble deciding whether a video file is transferrable or not? I've said before: the first time Vita or CMA will detect the video just fine and I can transfer back and forth and the next time the very same video file will be makred as non-transfferable by the Vita stating "file is not in a compatible format for the Vita to play" or something like that, the problem is, it's the same file that the Vita had once transferred before. I wanted to know what's causing this "mood swing?"

Well, if there's really no fix or anymore feedback then I'll let go. Thanks.

Message 13 of 16 (177 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
19926 posts

Feb 5, 2013

This is the first time that anyone has reported that particular behavior.  I'm not aware of anything in the Vita System software or the Content Manager that would cause that behavior.  Certainly nothing documented.  Sony has been known to sneak in anti-piracy software without notice, but that shouldn't be a problem if the videos were not pirated.

GKP
Message 14 of 16 (172 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
10 posts

Feb 6, 2013

Is converting videos off YouTube for personal non-profit usage consider illegal? Serious question, am not aware. Anyways, I'm done with this and will probably go over to m sister's place to use her Wi-Fi to stream the videos off the Vita's YouTube app.

Message 15 of 16 (167 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
19926 posts

Feb 6, 2013

defunct32 wrote:

Is converting videos off YouTube for personal non-profit usage consider illegal?

It depends on the video, but Sony is mostly concerned about piracy of commercial video disks.  It doesn't care about Youtube videos, unless they were ripped from commercial video disks.

GKP
Message 16 of 16 (164 Views)
0 Likes