Oct 27 2012
By: Ashlotte1 First Son 7 posts

My PSVita disappeared anyway to track it down?

13 replies 2659 views Edited Oct 27, 2012

I think an app need to be made, so you can track it down if missing...

Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 14 (2,659 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
13159 posts

Re: My PSVita disappeared anyway to track it down?

Oct 27, 2012

The 3G Vita has a GPS receiver, so there could be a location app for that.  There is no way to determine the location of a Wi-Fi Vita with any precision most of the time.

GKP
Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 14 (2,651 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
7 posts

Oct 27, 2012
Is the app on the Vita, or is there anyway to find such a app on my phone?
Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 14 (2,645 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
13159 posts

Oct 28, 2012

No such app exists for the Vita.  An app like that could be developed for the 3G Vita, but there is none available today. The Vita isn't like a phone.  There are only about a dozen apps available for it (mostly video streaming and social media integration), and very few companies have been licensed by Sony to publish apps on the Vita.  Apps aren't the focus of the platform.

GKP
Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 14 (2,632 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1041 posts

Oct 30, 2012

I had suggested this in general section.

Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 14 (2,599 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1041 posts

[ Edited ]
Oct 30, 2012

gkpama00 wrote:

The 3G Vita has a GPS receiver, so there could be a location app for that.  There is no way to determine the location of a Wi-Fi Vita with any precision most of the time.

Can be determined mathmatically by WiFi logon points and given the person would probably be sitting on WiFi for a while it probably wouldn't be hard to find the exact location actually.

I have used Google maps with just WiFi and letting it determine route by math, it will work you just don't want to take the wrong turn or in this situation that the target is moving.

If you were tracking something that moved constantly sure but that person using the Vita is probably going to access WiFi from the same point every time most likely making it easier and at least not all hope would be lost to find it.

Please use plain text.
Message 6 of 14 (2,597 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
22 posts

Jan 4, 2013
i second the app request (psvita tracking app) it would come in handy even if they do not use wifi if u use a data plan u could probably ask the data plan provider might be able to shut off the data then u could notify sony that ur system has been stolen or is missing and they could temp dsable it until it is found or returned then u could notify sony that ur system has been returned or has been found and then they could reactivate the system... it sounds complicated but it would be worth it!!!!!!!!
Please use plain text.
Message 7 of 14 (2,488 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
13159 posts

Jan 4, 2013

It is complicated.  There is also the problem from Sony's perspective of determining who is the actual legal owner of the console.  Anyone can call Sony and claim that a particular console has been stolen from them, but that doesn't mean that they are telling the truth, or even know the law. Even if you purchased the console, and have the receipt; that doesn't prove that it is still yours.  You could have sold it, given it away, or just left it somewhere (in which case it legally belongs to the person that finds it, unless they choose to give it back).  For that reason, Sony will never provide an app for self-tracking consoles, or disable any console based on any claim that you make.  Any tracking or remote disablement capability would only be used when requested by a police officer, or other law enforcement agent.  Filing a false police report is a felony in most states, so Sony will believe you if the police believe you. 

GKP
Please use plain text.
Message 8 of 14 (2,483 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
22 posts

Mar 19, 2013

gkpama00 wrote:

It is complicated.  There is also the problem from Sony's perspective of determining who is the actual legal owner of the console.  Anyone can call Sony and claim that a particular console has been stolen from them, but that doesn't mean that they are telling the truth, or even know the law. Even if you purchased the console, and have the receipt; that doesn't prove that it is still yours.  You could have sold it, given it away, or just left it somewhere (in which case it legally belongs to the person that finds it, unless they choose to give it back).  For that reason, Sony will never provide an app for self-tracking consoles, or disable any console based on any claim that you make.  Any tracking or remote disablement capability would only be used when requested by a police officer, or other law enforcement agent.  Filing a false police report is a felony in most states, so Sony will believe you if the police believe you. 

the vita would be linked to your psn account 

would it not???

unless the person who stole it somehow knew how to change the account it is linked to.

lest that ever happen 

unless you sell it then that is a different story

Please use plain text.
Message 9 of 14 (2,391 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
13159 posts

Mar 19, 2013

Once the OP changed his PSN account password, the person that has the Vita now would not be able to sign in using the OPs PSN account.  That person could just do a factory reset, and use a different PSN account. If they didn't know how to do that, they could just post to this forum, and we would tell them.  Each Vita has a unique identifier that is visible to PSN, so in theory Sony could determine which PSN account that same Vita is using now.  How much work that would be in practice I don't know.  Sony doesn't offer lost device location services, so it would be an ad-hoc process.  Unless the Vita is a 3G model, and has location services enabled, then Sony wouldn't know the physical location of the Vita anyway. Just the wireless network, or ISP network that it is connected to.  Additional leg-work by law enforcement would been needed to actually locate the device; and you would have to live in a town with an extraordinarily accommodating police department in order to have that kind of resource spent to recover a $250-$300 portable electronic device.  Most police departments have more pressing matters to attend to, or certainly want to give the impression that they do.

GKP
Please use plain text.
Message 10 of 14 (2,389 Views)