Mar 14 2014
By: spfan79 First Son 26 posts

Mobile hotspot Internet issue

5 replies 1594 views Edited Mar 14, 2014

So I paid to have a 10 GB data plan with AT&T for my blackberry z10, I wantt o use it as a hot spot, I also have the ability to tether using blue tooth for my PS Vita - here is the problem:

I can connect fine however if I do a internet connection test or try to go online, I am disconnected and am given an error I have to sign into the PSN

one time I was able to get online in street fighter x tekken but that lasted about 1 minute. I have good signal strength on my phone and it is on LTE, sometimes goes to lte or 4G however I am having the same issue. Does anyone know if there are issues trying this, known issues with this phone, or it's just AT&T sucks for data sharing

tonight I am going to try and share out data to my PC and see how that goes. I have searched the net and found no one with similar problems

thank you

Message 1 of 6 (1,594 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
26 posts

Re: Mobile hotspot Internet issue

Mar 14, 2014

Ok so I decided to test and after connecting to my mobile hotspot, internet works on the web browser and the speed isnt bad, however I still cant connect to ps store, any online games like killzone and sfxt

i dont know what to do, this sucks cuz i bought this plan in order for remote play to my ps4 which still hasnt worked, and for online gaming for my vita games..

Message 2 of 6 (1,587 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
27139 posts

Mar 14, 2014

That's not a surprise.  AT&T sells a data plan for the Vita, as you are probably aware.  It isn't to AT&T's advantage for you to use a smart-phone data plan instead.  Most mobile providers limit the network protocols that you can use via mobile hot-spots or tethering, because those functions have the potential to use far more bandwidth in a short period of time than the phone itself might.  It isn't surprising that some PSN functions would not work via a phone's Internet sharing.  There probably isn't anything that you can do about it.  Remote Play on your PS4 may not be working for related reasons. If you have a 3G Vita, you would probably be better off getting a Vita data plan.  If you have the Wi-Fi Vita, then I would try it with public Wi-Fi, and establish that it works there, before trying it with mobile.

GKP
Message 3 of 6 (1,580 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
26 posts

Mar 15, 2014

yeah i think its at&t not allowing goodbandwidth through

i have the 3g/wifi vita, i can use remote play to my ps4 via internal lan wifi, but outside nope :\

ive looked at countless threads and tried everything, guess the at&t hotspot just sucks...

originally i had a data plan (3g) for my vita but wow that thing SUCKED! couldnt do a thing so i canceled it ASAP

now ive been trying to just tether and hotspot my phone but no luck

i will give at&t a call and complain

thanks for the reply

Message 4 of 6 (1,574 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
13 posts

Mar 19, 2014

Hi,

I use BlackBerry Bold 9790 (which is OS7). However I am in Canada and I use Wind Mobile plan. I am not really sure how you tether to your Vita. With my BB I tether with no problem. All apps work, PS Store works. Never tried a game, as the connection is just not so fast as on my home LAN.

One thing I do is I put both devices on power supply (connected via USB to a computer at the least). Or at least the BB gets this as the battery will die fast otherwise. At some point the Vita also gets on USB.

Second, I keep both devices close. True, the Bluetooth allows them to be a bit far, however if you keep them far, especially with let's say a whole wall in between, it will dry the battery faster as the data transfer will fall. So in order to ensure max speed and good discoverability I keep them on the same desk. 

With this config I have no problems.

Hope this helps some.

Oh and of course - both the Vita and the BB are always up to date, speaking of the system software.

Regards!

Message 5 of 6 (1,565 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
26 posts

Mar 24, 2014

yeah it's definately at&t then, if your phone provider lets you do that, they cut the bandwidth so you can't do certain things that needs a certain amount such as the ps store.. ugh

Message 6 of 6 (1,551 Views)
0 Likes