Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
MVP Support
14369 posts

Re: Final Fantasy 3 wont download on my VITA

Sep 30, 2012

theMoink wrote:

where as the PSP is a dead system in the NA market and FF3 wasn't even released a hard copy because of that same reason and although there may be some players who still own a PSP, the vast majority now own a Vita under many impressions stated by Sony themselves specifically saying prior to launch that "the Vita will play all new PSP titles so jump onboard to the Vita bandwagon" FF3 is post Vita launch and this problem should not have existed. period.

Sony wishes that the vast majority of portable Playstations sold were Vitas, but unlike some people, Sony actually reads sales figures.  The PSP isn't dead in the North American market.  It is still being manufactured and sold, although some retailers have stopped giving it shelf space.  You can still buy them from any major retailer online, and they aren't even discounted. Even the PSP Go is still being manufactured and sold in the North American market, and that console was discontinued everywhere else last year. Sony doesn't continue to manufacture 8 year old products that aren't selling.  No company does that.  If the PSP is still being made, then you can be sure that they are still selling. The number of people that own and use PSPs exceeds the number of people that own and use Vitas ten to one.  If the PSP is dead, then why do you suppose that Square Enix released FF III as a PSP game?  It was released six years ago as a Nintendo DS game, and has already been released on smart phones.  They could have released it as a Vita game, but they didn't.

The Vita isn't selling very well, and Sony knows why.  There aren't many games available for it, and many of the ones that are available are ports of PS3 games that were released years ago. Which I assume is why people are so agitated about not being able to play a port of a six year-old Nintendo DS game on their Vitas today.  Apparently you have nothing better to play on your Vita.  That's the Vita's real problem.

GKP
Please use plain text.
Message 31 of 46 (426 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
2 posts

Sep 30, 2012

As of 12:08 30/09/2012, FF3 is advertised on the Playstation Store as 'Compatible with PSP and Playstation Vita'.

I ain't no sales genius, but isn't that false advertising?

If they took it off the store, then change the statement.

Admittedly, its the PS Store on my PS3, but the statement is clearly incorrect. 

I nearly bought it on my PS3 to copy to the vita, but decided to check the vita store first.

As a genuine 'customer' (I will buy it when the issue is sorted) , shouldn't Sony look to make things clearer for me?

I ain't asking for a remake of 'Panzer Dragoon Saga' on PSN (although that would be nice), all I'm after is a bit of honesty.

Sorry for the rant, but I wanna hear it for the little guy.

Peace and love

Dem

Please use plain text.
Message 32 of 46 (412 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
26 posts

Sep 30, 2012

I have tons of games to Play on my Vita and you're inserting different arguments to try and validify yourself and you are failing at it... I own the six year old DS game and I own multiple versions of FF on different platforms. I own all the PSP versions including the Go as well. Why do I want it all on my Vita? Because its the only mobile device I currently play from Sony. My problem isn't the fact I can't play it on my vita, it is the fact the consumer base was told as a whole that this was compitable on the Vita, available on the Vita Store and subsequently removed from it immediately after with ZERO word of why or notification.

This isn't the first time Sony has made such idiotic mistakes and it is growingly clear that SCEA is having serious issues on how to manage a digital market while their other conterparts can clearly keep that ball rolling. I even view that failing a clear reason as to why the Go lost the battle in the PSP market because of poor managment and failing to release old PSP titles and new onto the digital market. If your didn't have such a high regard to that Sony stick shoved so far up your rectum you would understand where this discontent is coming from.

You mention that the PSP 3000 is still being made and yet this specific title was released in the digital market only and yes someone can still download it on their mem cards since its only 233mb and play this title fine but it is very clear that a very large third party company sees that the PSP is going to be an eventual dead monkey.

You don't just sit there while your company has an issue with a product and fail to provide a reason why, it creates upset and a lesson they should've learned from when they were hacked.

Please use plain text.
Message 33 of 46 (374 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
16 posts

Sep 30, 2012
It does upset me how Sony doesn't think it ever needs to explain anything. All we have about so many things are theories.
Please use plain text.
Message 34 of 46 (349 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
14369 posts

[ Edited ]
Oct 1, 2012

Demetros wrote:

As of 12:08 30/09/2012, FF3 is advertised on the Playstation Store as 'Compatible with PSP and Playstation Vita'.

I ain't no sales genius, but isn't that false advertising?

No, but that is a common misconception.  To win a false advertising case, you have to prove that the advertiser knew that the statement was false at the time that the ad copy was completed, and made the statement with the deliberate intention to deceive the public.  It's not enough to simply show that what was advertised, was different than what was delivered.  Advertising is often arranged months before the product is released.  It is not a binding contract with all consumers.  Advertisers are not allowed to be deliberately dishonest, but they aren't required to predict all future eventualities either. Nor are they prohibited from changing their plans if circumstances warrant, or from making mistakes. You are certainly not entitled to any compensation because the advertiser was temporarily unable to deliver something advertised, for reasons that the advertiser had no reason to expect to happen.  False advertising laws do not protect you against disappointment.  Only deliberate fraud. They don't allow you to absolutely rely on any statement made in advertising either.  It is your responsibility to verify that the product that you are purchasing is suitable for your needs at the time that you purchase it.

GKP
Please use plain text.
Message 35 of 46 (327 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
14369 posts

Oct 1, 2012

theMoink wrote:

You mention that the PSP 3000 is still being made and yet this specific title was released in the digital market only and yes someone can still download it on their mem cards since its only 233mb and play this title fine but it is very clear that a very large third party company sees that the PSP is going to be an eventual dead monkey.

In the long run everything is dead, but that has nothing to do with Square Enix's decision to not release FF III at retail. That decision was obviously a recognition of the fact that there is very little retail market for PSP games at this point.  Anyone that has walked into the games section of a Toy R' Us, Best Buy, or Walmart store recently has noticed that very little shelf space, and no promotional effort, is being allocated to PSP retail games these days.  Some companies, such as Atlus, and Xseed, still ship PSP games in retail packages; but that is because their products appeal to the otaku and collector markets, which want physical copies. Most of those are sold online. Square Enix isn't going for that market with FF III, so even though the company isn't a big fan or supporter of the Playstation Store, that is the sales channel that makes sense for this product.  Few retailers would have any interest in stocking this game, so there is no retail release.  It is that simple. It probably had very little to do with the Vita.  Frankly the installed base of the Vita isn't big enough to justify releasing this game at all, which is why it is a PSP game. 

theMoink wrote:

This isn't the first time Sony has made such idiotic mistakes and it is growingly clear that SCEA is having serious issues on how to manage a digital market while their other conterparts can clearly keep that ball rolling. I even view that failing a clear reason as to why the Go lost the battle in the PSP market because of poor managment and failing to release old PSP titles and new onto the digital market.

Sony is losing billions of dollars per year, so clearly it has made some management mistakes. My view of these events is informed less by any admiration for Sony, and more from decades of working at another large technology company with many of the same issues.  I understand how large businesses work better than the vast majority of people that post to the forums.  Big companies spend a lot less time thinking about individual consumers than many consumers suppose, and they certainly can't be bothered to deliberately do things to make people angry.  Usually there is a very deliberate strategy behind what large companies do, or do not, say or do; and sometimes a particular interest group is just too small to worry about.  That's life.

The PSP Go is a perfect example of the dangers of listening to what consumers say that they want, and trying to deliver it in a reasonable way.  The consumers don't usually understand business, and will often expect things that are not possible.  The reality is that there was never any chance that all PSP games were going to be in the Playstation Store, because most PSP games are not published by Sony, and Sony had no power to compel publishers to offer all of their games in the Playstation Store.  Some of contracts under which Sony licenses PSP game publishers were signed a decade ago; before the PSP Playstation Store existed, or was even planned.   Sony couldn't have predicted the PSP Go, or even the Playstation Store, that far back; so it could not have included terms in the license contract that would require publishers to offer their games in a Playstation Store that might never exist. Those contracts could not be arbitrarily rewritten by Sony several years later when the PSP Go was designed, so publishers had no obligation to support the PSP Go with games.  Sony wouldn't have thought that was a problem for the Go. According to their market research lots of gamers wanted to buy games digitally, and if gamers want to buy something, then there was no reason to think that game publishers would not want to sell it to them. 

As it turned out, most of the people that said that they wanted a download-only PSP, were only willing to buy one if it not only offered the entire PSP game catalog, but also protected their investment in UMD games by offering download access to those as well.  I doubt that many of the people that Sony interviewed mentioned to Sony's marketers that this was the only way that the product would be attractive to them; because if they had, the Go would have been abandoned in the concept phase.  Given the easy availability of used games in the USA, there is no way that publishers would agree to give free digital downloads to anyone that had the UMD for the game.  That's just giving product away to people that never paid a dime to the publisher.  Few gamers keep their receipts for games, so there is no practical way to tell who purchased the games new, and who did not. Publishers weren't interested in investing more money in packaging old PSP games that didn't sell well here in the first place, just so Sony could say that the entire PSP catalog was available to download.  In some cases the publishers weren't even in business anymore, or had lost the licensing rights to the games.  And then of course there is the rampant piracy of downloadable PSP games on consoles running unauthorized System software.  Given all of the negatives, I'm surprised that there are as many PSP games in the Playstation Store as there are today; but it wasn't nearly enough to meet gamer's unrealistic expectations, so the PSP Go failed.  Ironically, if more PSP Gos had been sold, more games would have been offered in the Playstation Store later.  That's how markets work.  Not the other way around.

With the development of the PS Vita, Sony had an opportunity to write new license agreements, and this time obviously Sony required that all Vita games be sold in the Playstation Store; with the retail package being optional.  Too late to save the PSP Go obviously, but soon enough to make sure that the Vita offered the same buying options as smart phones.  Changing the license agreements didn't do anything to address the piracy threat, although Sony did a lot in that department also; by making it very hard to put anything on the Vita, or remove it, without going through the System software; and by making the Vita incompatible with all standard media and I/O protocols.  That is why the Vita is so much more closed than the PSP was.  The problem now is that the Vita isn't very attractive to third-party publishers, and therefore very few third-party games have been announced for the console.  Sony is going to have to sell a lot more Vitas to convince third-parties to take a risk on the platform, but as long as gamers keep waiting for more games to be released before buying the console, that isn't going to happen for a long time. Sony is investing in a lot of first party content, but no console can succeed today on first party games alone.

Hindsight is 20/20, and it is easy to make all of the right decisions, years after the decisions had to be made. Business managers have to make decisions about things that won't happen for years, with incomplete information, and no knowledge of future events.  That's not so easy, and if you haven't done it yourself, then you really have no clue as to which decisions were idiotic, and which ones were based on reasonable assumptions that just didn't work out as planned.

GKP
Please use plain text.
Message 36 of 46 (320 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
26 posts

Oct 1, 2012

Seriously GKP with your long and well thought essay about big business and their decisions completely missed the point even made from my argument...

How difficult is it to write an article explaining why any said game is pulled from a market so that the general audience is informed? The answer? It isn't and quite honestly one of the few companies pull a stunt like this is Sony.

If Apple were to pull all IPhone 5's from the market and didn't provide a reason why they would have a fecal fest of angry consumers and quite possibly lose some over the deal.

If EA pulled the plug on one of their major franchises and failed to submit why there would be the same outcome... But wait... EA did just cancel an IP... and to boot they explained why and what they're doing. "Who cares if its a basketball game?" Right,  is that what you were going to say? Doesn't matter, they still explained themselves and I bet there are a lot more people who are more disappointed than upset over that decision because atleast they now know why it was canceled.

Sony is providing a service to the public. Sony made available this game to the Vita market and subsequently pulled shortly there after. It doesn't matter that the product is six years old, it doesn't really matter that it was pulled from the market. What matters is how they handle situations in front of the public eye. Ya this title may be a small miniscule app to them but no matter how small or how large something is, you take care of it and make sure the mud doesn't come rolling back your way. Period.

Please use plain text.
Message 37 of 46 (296 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
16 posts

Oct 1, 2012
Seems like we're putting a lot more time and thought and energy into this than Sony.
Please use plain text.
Message 38 of 46 (283 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
2 posts

Oct 1, 2012

Ok, thanks for taking the time to reply.

But.....:smileyhappy:

Isn't 'advertising' words and images used to send a message?

A sort of a communication between?

A way of a company letting it's customers know exactly what their product or service is?

If person 1 says to person 2 'I can sell you this...it will do this....and you can use it on this....all for only £x amount' and person 2 believes and trusts them, and then decides to purchase 'this', and then it doesn't do what was promised... isn't that wrong?

Forget legal, just morally?

As sony now knows that FF3 wont play on a vita, why don't they change the statement on the store that says 'compatible with psp and vita'?

It surely can't be that hard?

And if they do make it compatible in the future, then change the statement back.

Honesty...?

Still peace and love

Dem

Please use plain text.
Message 39 of 46 (262 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
12 posts

Oct 1, 2012

At first I thought GKP was trying to be helpful, but now I think he just likes reading his own comments. Honestly, do we really need a speech defending every one of Sony's blunders? I understand running a corporation like Sony is difficult, and overall I think they're doing an OK job, but their North American branch (SCEA) is f***ing up left and right.  This game is available in other regions, SCEA just continues to embarrass itself. If hindsight is 20/20, how about SCEA looks back and listens to all the complaints of people who bought a 20 dollar game that they can't even play? Anyways, this whole thread has become useless, as it in no way, shape, or form, is helpful to anyone who bought this game to play on Vita. I will post an update if I see FF3 in the vita store or on my download list(I check twice a day or so) and I hope anyone else here would do the same.

Please use plain text.
Message 40 of 46 (260 Views)
0 Likes