Jan 01 2013
By: Kenshin-dono Splicer 61 posts

Do you need to format a new vita memory card?

7 replies 906 views Edited Jan 1, 2013

just wondering if you have to format a new vita memory card when you first go to use it. I know with the PSP i dont think you technically had to, but formatting it put the proper folders in place for when you were doing file transfers and stuff like that later

Do you need to format a new card with the vita too? Or is it pre-formatted/already has those folders and things?

Message 1 of 8 (906 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
13493 posts

Re: Do you need to format a new vita memory card?

Jan 2, 2013
No need for formatting.

Because the individual folders are not accessible to users. All data management is through content manager
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Message 2 of 8 (897 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
27139 posts

Jan 2, 2013

Vita cards come pre-formatted, as they can't be used in any other device (unlike the Memory Sticks), so the correct format is known at the factory.  You can format the card again, but it should not be necessary unless you are restoring the console to factory state.

GKP
Message 3 of 8 (885 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
252 posts

Jan 2, 2013

For a new memory card, no.

If you ever plan to switch PSN accounts, then you will have to once the memory card is tied to an account.

--------------------------------------------------------------------
Please Subscribe to my Youtube page!
https://www.youtube.com/user/HollywoodShono?feature=mhee
Message 4 of 8 (871 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
61 posts

Jan 3, 2013

Thanks guys. So basically a new memory card already has the needed folders and stuff, i do NOT need to format it for the first use, correct?

if thats the case im a bit concerned. Some of you mention that you cant access the card period. I cant plug it into my computer to back up the games or data? How can i do that for stuff like ps+ full games i dont want to all keep on the memory card at once? Do i HAVE to use some kinda content managment program? Cant i just move the files around on my PC or something?

Message 5 of 8 (856 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
27139 posts

Jan 3, 2013

You must use the Vita Content Manager to back up the games and other content on the Vita, and to install content on the Vita that isn't downloaded to the Vita directly from the Playstation Store. You can back up Vita content to a Windows PC, Mac, or PS3.  New content can only be installed from a PS3. The content that you back up, such as games, can't be managed on the PC without using the Vita Content Manager. The Vita memory cards are proprietary, and will not work in any PC memory card reader that you can buy.  The Vita will not allow direct access to the memory card via USB either. The Vita is designed this way to combat software piracy.  

GKP
Message 6 of 8 (848 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
61 posts

Jan 4, 2013

wow.. just.. wow. What a massive hassle/pain in the butt. So thanks to pirates, legitimate users are saddled with this clunky, restricting format? That just really sucks =(

By the way i just tried this to transfer some videos over to the vita and it was a huge pain in the rear. Its very clunky and confusing. Doesn't make much sense. I somehow wounded up transfering 2 copies of them over and 3/4 of them wont even play on the vita. I get a c2-13623-5 error message on most of them. *sigh* Thank you for the info but this is very frustrating. This coupled with the fact that i just realized vita games dont have manuals has me seriously regretting my vita purchase

please tell me theres a way to at least check your memory card data? I.e. what save games there are and stuff like that? I cant seem to find that anywhere either

Message 7 of 8 (837 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
27139 posts

[ Edited ]
Jan 4, 2013

Kenshin-dono wrote:

This coupled with the fact that i just realized vita games dont have manuals has me seriously regretting my vita purchase

please tell me theres a way to at least check your memory card data? I.e. what save games there are and stuff like that? I cant seem to find that anywhere either

The whole thing with the manuals appears to be a publisher conspiracy thing, but it is actually simpler than than.  Unlike previous Sony consoles, the Vita developer license  agreement requires all PS Vita games to be downloadable from the Playstation Store.  As all Vita games must be downloadable, all Vita games have to have a soft-copy manual built into the game's LiveArea screen.  From there it was just a short leap to the thought (well, why bother including a printed version in the retail box when there is already a manual on the console?). The Vita game cases are designed to hold a traditional printed game manual, but none of the several retail games that I have purchased includes one. The manual holder is still used for online pass code cards, for the games that use those.

The Vita doesn't have a save data facility like the PS3, or a save data folder like the PSP.  Save data for PSP, PS1, Minis, PS Mobile, etc., games can be viewed in the Settings app under Application Data Management.  Save data for Vita games is managed as part of the games' installed data.  Vita save data for games that were downloaded from the Playstation Store can be viewed in the Content Manager when you are connected to a PC, or PS3.  Vita save data for games on game cartridges may or may not be displayed in the Content Manager normally. It depends on whether the game stores its save data on the memory card, or on the game card.  If the game stores its save data on the memory card, then it is the same as for a Playstation Store game; and you can view and copy it with the Content Manager.  Game save data that is stored on the game card normally cannot be viewed outside the game, copied, or backed up; but if the PSN account on the Vita is a Playstation Plus subscriber, then you can view and copy save data on Vita game cards in the Content Manager when it is connected to your online storage over Wi-Fi or 3G.  

GKP
Message 8 of 8 (828 Views)
0 Likes