Nov 15 2016
By: darthpibe Lombax Warrior 95 posts

Ps4 pro and Ps Vr no HDR passthrough

36 replies 4831 views Edited Nov 15, 2016

So I want to understand something, Sony create Ps4 Pro so it can benefit the Ps Vr with the extra power, but the Vr Box can't pass through HDR?, is there going to be a fix for this?, like a firmware or something?, I'm not going to keep plugging and unplugging the hdmi cables every time I want to use one or another, please, this needs a fix ASAP!

this is from Sony:

Q: Does the Processor Unit support 4K and HDR pass through?
The PS VR Processor Unit (PU) supports video pass through so that you can enjoy regular non-VR content on your TV when you have the PS4 connected to the TV via the PU and the PU is connected to power via the AC adapter and the PS VR headset is not in use. This pass through support works for regular 1080p signals and also supports 2160p (UHD or ‘4K’) content in YUV 420 color format at up to 60 Hz from a PlayStation Pro.

However, HDR signals are not supported for pass through by the PU. This applies to both 1080p and 2160p HDR. If you have a HDR capable TV and want to view PS4 content in HDR, it is necessary to cable the PS4 directly to the TV.

Message 1 of 37 (4,831 Views)
First Son
10 posts

Re: Ps4 pro and Ps Vr no HDR passthrough

[ Edited ]
Nov 16, 2016

When will that be patched? Major design flaw or oversight. 

Message 2 of 37 (4,820 Views)
First Son
10 posts

Nov 16, 2016

I wonder if an HDMI splitter would solve the problem or would the PS4 PRO still be able to detect the VR processor unit and not allow HDCP 2.2. 

Message 3 of 37 (4,812 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
101 posts

Nov 19, 2016

Another Sony blunder, they better come up with a solution besides keep switching cables. This and no 4k drive, way to hand the console war back to msft...who's making the decisions over there?  eesh.  Smiley Mad

Message 4 of 37 (4,693 Views)
First Son
10 posts

Nov 19, 2016

I really hope the UHD drive is built in and just needs an update to enable. I still hate the fact there's no IR to bluetooth adapter like the PS3 had made by Logitech. SMH

Message 5 of 37 (4,691 Views)
Lombax Warrior
101 posts

Nov 20, 2016

There's no 4k drive in it from everything i've read.

Message 6 of 37 (4,655 Views)
First Son
1 posts

[ Edited ]
Nov 24, 2016

Totally in shock that the 4K HDR signal can't pass through the VR.  What a pain to have to swap the HDMI connection every time I want to use the VR.  Come on Sony!  For the most part, I love your electronics, but this is just a miss.  Why supply a high speed HDMI cable if you can't even use it for it's purpose.  You need to get this one fixed without requiring us to have to purchase the next gen. 

Message 7 of 37 (4,530 Views)
First Son
1 posts

Nov 27, 2016

Unbelievable! and this is the reason why i didn't bought the ZD9 but u i went straight to the LG E6, how's it happen? the engineers was drunk or what? Sony is pushing us to buy the new ps4 pro with the ""super"" experience of the VR using their new flagship ZD9 with the best HDR blablabla.. and when you finally bring all togheter ... you can't even play a game in HDR because the VR PU doesn't support HDR passtrhu and definetly not support the HDCP 2.2 !! i don't think this can be fixed by firmware update, it's the hardware.

I would like to know what sony will tell to their customer like us who bought the "full set" .. "oh sorry we forgot to mention that if you are going to buy the VR you can't play at any games using HDR! the only way is: UNPLUG THE CABLE FROM THE VR AND PLUG THE TV DIRECTLY!"

Sony are u playing with our money or what? how you can even think to let your customer plug and unplug the cable everytime want to play with the VR or viceversa?

sorry for the outburst but i don't really like the way SONY joke us.

best

Nick

Message 8 of 37 (4,417 Views)
First Son
4 posts

Nov 29, 2016

It will not and cannot be patched.  The PSVR box, unlike even the original launch PS4, is incapable of HDMI 2.0, it only supports 1.4.  Furthermore, even using a splitter will not help you unless you physically power down the PSVR breakout box each time you don't use it (not just hitting the standby button on the PSVR cord) because a splitter will always default to the lowest shared connection settings.... meaning you drop down to HDMI 1.4 whenever the PSVR is plugged in.  An HDMI switch is an option, but unless you can find a powered 1x2 (1 in 2 out) HDMI switch you're going to run into some problems there, too.

Sony has left us with sub-par hardware, no apologies or explanations, and no proposed action plan.  About the best thing you can do for now is wait.  Do not buy the PSVR if you plan on using HDR.  For those who already own, just suck it up and ignore the lack of HDR on that fancy $400 upgraded system, because the alternative is going to wear down your PS4 Pro's HDMI ports over time and leave you with a fancy paperweight.

Message 9 of 37 (4,323 Views)
First Son
3 posts

Dec 9, 2016

If this isn't rectified by the end of the year, I say we all file suit and seek Class Action status for the THOUSANDS  of #ScrewedBySony  I mean come on, their flagship $900 bundle isn't compatible with ITSELF?!? 

Message 10 of 37 (4,024 Views)