Reply
Aug 30 2016
By: aorian_star First Son 3 posts
Offline

Playstation VR: Watching 3D movies...

31 replies 12818 views Edited Aug 30, 2016

Can you watch a 3D movie with the  PS VR headset?  If not, are you planning that at an upgrade feature in the future?

 

Thanks

Message 1 of 32 (12,818 Views)
Uncharted Territory
Registered: 10/21/2011
Offline
1171 posts
 

Re: Playstation VR: Watching 3D movies...

[ Edited ]
Aug 30, 2016

I think you can (I think there was a post about that to that effect some time ago). But while it will give you the impression of being in front of a giant screen, that giant screen resolution will be worse than what you can get on a regular 1080p TV. So yeah, that'll work and the effect will be somewhat cool, but personnaly, I'd prefer watching movies on my large TV and get the full image details. 

 

 

Message 2 of 32 (12,805 Views)
First Son
Registered: 03/12/2014
Offline
11 posts
 

Re: Playstation VR: Watching 3D movies...

Aug 30, 2016

RE4LNOiZE_42 wrote:

I think you can (I think there was a post about that to that effect some time ago). But while it will give you the impression of being in front of a giant screen, that giant screen resolution will be worse than what you can get on a regular 1080p TV. So yeah, that'll work and the effect will be somewhat cool, but personnaly, I'd prefer watching movies on my large TV and get the full image details. 

 

 


many Tv's drop resolution to 720p when in 3d mode.

Message 3 of 32 (12,799 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
Registered: 10/21/2011
Offline
1171 posts
 

Re: Playstation VR: Watching 3D movies...

Aug 30, 2016

Princess_Anania wrote:

 

many Tv's drop resolution to 720p when in 3d mode.


Not really. 720p is 1280x720. Or 921,600 pixels.

 

What you are reffering to are passive 3D TVs, which halve the horizontal lines, but not vertical ones. What you get is 1920x540 per eye. Or 1,036,800 pixels. Which is more than 720p. Some argue that those two interlaced images almost look as good as 1080p. Although I agree it's debatable.

 

Now, in a VR headset, because of the lenses providing a large field of view, only a portion of each screen actually display what you're looking at in front of you. Otherwise, the image would be way too distorted to work. That means even if a single eye gets a 1080p screen, only a fraction of those pixels will be used to show what's in front of you. BOTH horizontaly and verticaly. Some filtering and having two eyes looking at different screens in the device might help alleviates this. But up to what extent is still not clear.

Message 4 of 32 (12,793 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
First Son
Registered: 05/04/2009
Offline
19 posts
 

Re: Playstation VR: Watching 3D movies...

Oct 17, 2016

Got one and tried it and the answer is yes and no. You can watch the movie through the PSVR headset but you are looking at flat 2d image of the movie.It's like looking at 3d view of your flat 2d television screen. Hopefully in the future they will support watching 3d movies through the PSVR headset but at this time it does not appear to work

Message 5 of 32 (11,321 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
MVP Support
Registered: 10/01/2008
Online
10124 posts
 

Re: Playstation VR: Watching 3D movies...

[ Edited ]
Oct 17, 2016

aorian_star wrote:

Can you watch a 3D movie with the  PS VR headset?  If not, are you planning that at an upgrade feature in the future?

 

Thanks


Nope. The Playstation Blog, Playstation VR FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions) says:

 

"NO. In Cinematic Mode, Playstation VR will display 3D games and films in 2D when playing on a 3D compatible TV. When playing with non 3D compatible TVs or without a TV, PS4 won't play 3D games and films. "

 

When asked if Playstation VR will support 3D content in Cinematic Mode in the future, Sony said:

 

"We have nothing to announce at this point in time."

 

Playstation VR FAQ

 

no

Here's symbols to copy & paste into your friends list comment. ℡ № ª
⇒⇔ ¹ ² ³ ® ™ ‰ © ½ ¼ ¾ ←↑→↓ψ † ‡ ※♪♭♯★ ☆▲▼△▽◆ ◇ ○ ◎ ● ■ □ 回 〓 √∞♂♀ 웃 유
Ω ①②③④⑤⑥⑦⑧⑨⑩⑪⑫⑬⑭⑮⑯⑰⑱⑲⑳ ㎎ ㎏ ㎜ ㎝ ㎞ ㎡ ㏄ ≒ Æ æ η α β ε α₩£ ≡ » « ¶ † εïз ∵
∴ #’〈 〉《 》「」『 』【 】〔 〕ミ 彡 ッ シ!#@ $ %
&()*+,-./0123456789:;<=>?ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZabcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz[\
]^_`{|}~¢£ㄻ ㄼ ㄽ ㄾ ㄿ ㅁ ㅂ ㅄ ㅅ ㅆ ㅇ ㅈ ㅊ ㅋ ㅌ ㅍ ㅎㄱ 을 ㄺ卍∃⊥ ∀ Ξ Σ Π 文 ≒≠ ≡≦
≧ⅠⅡⅢ Ⅳ Ⅴ Ⅵ Ⅶ Ⅷ Ⅸ Ⅹ ⅰ ⅱ ⅲ ⅳ ⅴ ⅵ ⅶ ⅷ ⅸ ⅹ¬ ̄ ±∂∩∀∇∠∧∨∩∪∫∬⊂⊃⊥⊿⌒─│┌┐└┘├┤┬┴┼─
━│┃┌┏ ┐┓└┗ ┘┛├┝┠┣ ┤┥┨┫┬ ┯ ┰ ┳ ┴ ┷ ┸ ┻ ┼ ┿ ╂ ╋
Message 6 of 32 (11,261 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
Registered: 06/13/2013
Online
1573 posts
 

Re: Playstation VR: Watching 3D movies...

[ Edited ]
Oct 17, 2016

Of course not, sony wants to still try and sell their failing 3d tv brand... why would they let you view 3d movies in a device that can already support it, thats almost as mad as expecting the ps4 pro to play 4k blurays, who do you think you are a respectful customer? *laughs in your face*

Message 7 of 32 (11,254 Views)
First Son
Registered: 09/12/2015
Offline
7 posts
 

Re: Playstation VR: Watching 3D movies...

last month

Does PS VR support 3D Movies?

PS VR has a feature called Cinematic Mode, which lets users enjoy content in 2D, including PS4 games and movies, on a giant virtual screen while wearing the VR headset. However, in Cinematic Mode, PS VR will display 3D games and films in 2D when playing on a 3D-compatible TV. When playing with non 3D-campatible TVs or without a TV, PS4 won't play 3D games and films.

 

Will the PS VR support 3D content in Future?

An official blog of PlayStation shows that they they nothing to announce at this point in time.

Message 8 of 32 (3,231 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
Registered: 03/20/2015
Offline
165 posts
 

Re: Playstation VR: Watching 3D movies...

[ Edited ]
last month

Janice520 wrote:

Does PS VR support 3D Movies?

PS VR has a feature called Cinematic Mode, which lets users enjoy content in 2D, including PS4 games and movies, on a giant virtual screen while wearing the VR headset. However, in Cinematic Mode, PS VR will display 3D games and films in 2D when playing on a 3D-compatible TV. When playing with non 3D-campatible TVs or without a TV, PS4 won't play 3D games and films.

 

Will the PS VR support 3D content in Future?

An official blog of PlayStation shows that they they nothing to announce at this point in time.


Well @Janice520, your post is 100% accurate -- for one day.

 

Firmware 4.50 will be released later today, and one of the announced updates is PSVR 3D Bluray support:

 

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2017/02/03/ps4-system-software-update-4-50-features-detailed/

 

Yaz.

 

Message 9 of 32 (3,227 Views)
First Son
Registered: 03/09/2017
Offline
14 posts
 

watching 3d bluray on ps4 vr with the new update

[ Edited ]
last month

Hello I am just wondering how you do this ..i have downloaded the update and tried a blu ray 3d and the picture is split in two halves when viewing it 

 

forgive me for being dumb but do you need glasses to watch them ? i kinda thought you wouldnt need to wear them due to the vr headset 

 

dont laugh at me ...any advice ...

 

MOD EDIT: Merged with existing thread. -minako85v
Message 10 of 32 (3,136 Views)
Reply
0 Likes