May 16 2011
By: Ozma9999 PlayStation MVP 4 posts

Give us the Gamer Advisory Panel (GAP) back!

32 replies 2450 views Edited May 16, 2011

To Sony:

I realize that things are just coming back online, but please don't forget all of us in the GAP! I have been a dedicated contributer on the GAP for nearly 8 years, submitting many stories over that long history, and I will never forget the purpose of this once "elite" group of gamers that Sony selected.  We were once there to help "shape the face of gaming" and to provide valuable opinions, discussions, and even assist with game development through beta testing.  I still have my membership welcome letter, my membership card, official Playstation pen, and game/memory card carrying case with Playstation stationary that came after joining.  I remember beta testing Killzone ages ago for the PS2.  It was a blast, and I'll never forget the deep discussions and dialogue that GAP members helped contribute to Sony.  It became one of the most (if not the most) under-utilized resources at Sony's disposal.  Not very long after the PS3 was released, and the Playstation Blog became the standard, it seemed that the GAP was largely forgotten.

I have owned every Sony gaming console since purchasing a PS1 in 1996, but I am not a fanboy.  I have been gaming for nearly 30 years, and also own several other consoles, analyzing every aspect in comparison to Sony's offerings as they are announched or released.  I am also equally critical of the software offerings on each console and refuse to hype up things just becase the gaming magazines say so, or just because the ad looks amazing.  As a GAPer, we always scrutinized things and decided to think for ourselves, rather than have someone else think for us.  We all had our own distinct tastes and viewpoints, rather than simply saying what may be deemed as the popular answer.  This made the GAP the most realistic and honest representation of a true gamer at heart and I would like to continue contributing to that cause!  

With the recent security meltdown, Sony has an opportunity to do  something very special for the fans that have hung tough from the GAP.  Bring back  the GAP the way it once was, making it a truly elite group for those who  care not just about Sony, but the gaming industry in general! I'm sure that records exist showing those who were still somewhat active in this community.  This is Sony's opportunity to lose...

Message 1 of 33 (2,450 Views)
0 Likes
Keyblade Wielder
9918 posts

Re: Give us the Gamer Advisory Panel (GAP) back!

May 16, 2011

I'd hardly call a group that was basically just the result of randomized email batches, "elite". If they weren't carefully selected and actually qualified to be in the program for the practical purpose Sony hoped it would serve, why the hell should they even bother with GAP? Why would anyone want some randoms making critical input that could negatively affect the outcome of the products they're purchasing? I certainly wouldn't want that.

Creating elitist groups obviously isn't the way to appeal to their customer base. Considering Sony is now more involved with the forums, doesn't it make more sense to just post your opinions and feedback? They're reading more than they used to, and an online community seems like a far more efficient magnet for feedback.

Message 2 of 33 (2,450 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
779 posts

May 17, 2011

Well said, Ozma9999. And I agree with you.

I am also in GAP for 8 years. Playstation fanboy. I picked up my first Playstation in '95 and fell in love with it since. I do want the Gamer Advisory Panel back. I remember when betas used to be available only to GAP members. I still have extra copies in a big box in my garage.

I want it back because this is where we can voice our opinions and provide developers with valuable insight on games. It's not about the games or free stuff.

Message 3 of 33 (2,450 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
20 posts

May 17, 2011

Hmmm, I was in the first wave of GAP when it first came out, but due to problems on Sony's end (I had to call in over the phone to activate my membership and they spelled my email wrong), I ended up "falling out." But then, about a year or two later, I was re-invited and was able to sign up.

To be honest, it was okay, but nothing great. Heck, I received more demos from the Playstation Underground days than from GAP.

At least I got a cool hat.

Message 4 of 33 (2,450 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
93 posts

May 17, 2011

It would be nice to see them reinvent The G.A.P but I suspect like many of the other threads have already stated it will likely be phased out and reoganized into the Playstation+. If anyone truely deserves the title of an elite critic it would be those that utilize all of their services and are active members of the entire community.

Don't get me wrong, I loved the Panel, really enjoyed the inclusion and invitation to special events. Honestly I was never really one for the blog posts, I contributed but my reviews were far less through than some of those not on the panel just handpicked from the community forums.

Do something special Foster City, don't kill it.. rebuild better, faster and stronger.. and include the truely gifted ones who like to give back.

Message 5 of 33 (2,450 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
1 posts

May 17, 2011

While I know that we as GAP members are anything but "elite" I am upset by Sonys lack of attention to the GAP program in the last couple of years. While it is true that Sony just picked me at random I did enjoy helping out the community from time to time like beta testing Jak X Combat Racing or GT4. But most of all I would LOVE to get out and do another promotion with Sony. I dont know how many of you guys got to do one but I went to the O.A.R. show to promote MLB®06: The Show five years ago and it was awesome!

My life is rated R.
What is your life rated?

Fear is not an option
Message 6 of 33 (2,450 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
4117 posts

May 17, 2011

GAP is forever gone with the old forums. Hate to break it to you but I don't think it's ever coming back. The whole program was pretty much out of place after the start of psn, Sony has moved on and I guess it's time for us to move on as well.

Message 7 of 33 (2,450 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
435 posts

May 20, 2011

Hope they bring it back, been a memeber for over 6 years.

--

Chris

Best regards,
Chris

photo Natsu-Banner PSN V 2_zpsbfnslgcs.png
Sigs
Message 8 of 33 (2,450 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
93 posts

May 20, 2011

I was in GAP for over 8 years. It would be nice if Sony would at least acknowledge our contributions somehow. Seems to me that they are using this incident to wipe GAP out of existence.

Message 9 of 33 (2,450 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
7 posts

May 22, 2011

I, too, am (was) a member of GAP for several years.  I have loved games for over 20 years and I play games on every format I can get my hands on (xbox, nintendo, playstation, ipod, ipad, PC, etc.)  Unfortunately, the "elite" status of the group made some vocal participants feel that they were better than others, even within the GAP community.  I recall posting that I was excited about the rewards program testing period and excited for the program overall.  I was trolled by other GAP members because they felt I had not posted enough over the years to justify my excitement in getting rewards for playing games.  I was somehow not entitled to share my opinion in the exact PS community in which I was invited to participate by Sony.  I was made to feel second-rate.  It was obvious that Sony stopped taking the input of GAP.  There were no longer any special betas or requests for feedback.  Even the games of the month poll stopped updating.  Perhaps it is better that Sony disband GAP and look for ways to not segregate their fan base.  We all love games and should be able to participate in our own ways without the need for special clubs that have lost their purpose.

Message 10 of 33 (2,450 Views)
0 Likes