Mar 29 2012
By: SapphicPoison First Son 19 posts
Accepted Solution

What do Trophies do?

17 replies 9808 views Edited Mar 29, 2012

I'm sorry if this has been asked before, I browsed around a little bit but couldn't find anything on this question.

I was playing Red Faction: Guerrilla and LittleBigPlanet and I kept noticing that this thing would pop up on my TV, saying that I have earned a trophy, it isn't annoying and really I think that it's kind of neat, but do the trophies do anything?

Like for an example.. does earning a trophy give you points of some kind to use in the Store, or do they unlock in-game material, or are they there for show?

SapphicPoison Trophy Card
Message 1 of 18 (9,808 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
11841 posts

Re: What do Trophies do?

Mar 29, 2012

Trophies are just for show. They help you increase your trophy level. Each type of trophy is worth a certain number of points and each trophy level requires a certain number of points.

Bronze = 15 pts

Silver = 30 pts

Gold = 90 pts

Platinum = 180 pts

These trophies do little more than sit in your profile and (supposedly) give you self-satisfaction. XD

Twitter: @Sweet13Poison | YouTube: Sweetest13Poison

Message 2 of 18 (9,808 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
19 posts

Mar 29, 2012

Hi there Sweet.

So if I'm understanding right, the trophies are for show in your profile, and they have a leveling system of their own?

I'm thinking similar to a ranking system?

I can't say that I have experienced self-satisfaction from the trophies that I have gotten, but I experienced a moment of "Oh, I didn't know I did that!" and felt more interested in the game itself than before. lol

Thanks for the answer!

Message 3 of 18 (9,808 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
11841 posts

Mar 29, 2012

I can’t say that trophies have given me self-satisfaction either.

Here is an interesting website for some of your GamerCard needs:

http://www.yourgamercards.net/generators/trophy

Yes, there is a ranking system that goes with this trophy business.

Twitter: @Sweet13Poison | YouTube: Sweetest13Poison

Message 4 of 18 (9,808 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
19 posts

Mar 29, 2012

Thanks for the link!

Those GamerCards look pretty cool, I think I'm going to choose the LittleBigPlanet one!

My rank is going to be low, but I'm ok with that.

Now, to read where to put this GamerCard code to flaunt it.

Figured it out already! That was easy.

Thanks, Sweet!

Message 5 of 18 (9,808 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
11368 posts

Mar 30, 2012

Beyond being put there to have on display, trophy data and leveling has turned into a pack-hunting game for trophy enthusiasts. If you've gotten a Platinum in a game, with Platinums being the grand prize for unlocking all other trophies in a game, consider yourself a skilled warrior of trophy-attired fashion. There are sites out there for gamers that have a niche for wanting all a game has to offer, such as ps3trophies.org and ps3trophies.com.

On those two sites trophy guides are pieced together to show you the way of getting every single trophy you might have trouble doing yourself. The satisfaction some gamers receive from accomplishing a trophy task is that it can add longevity to a game. Say you've beaten a game already. Unlocking 8% or 26% of the trophy checklist already, you've still a ways to go afterward. If it means you have to complete the game a second time in order to achieve victory for one particular trophy or more, this then would add to that goal.

Not only increasing your trophy card data, it would give you something more to do with the game if you really had the inkling to want to do it all over again. Trophies are not at all a requisite for being a PlayStation 3 gamer, but nevertheless most games from 2009 onward have included them (and some before then). Whether you want to gather trophies just to say you have them or to show off to friends, or to give yourself extra credit with the game(s) you're currently digesting is all up to you.

Message 6 of 18 (9,808 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
19 posts

Mar 31, 2012

GrayGargoyle wrote:

Beyond being put there to have on display, trophy data and leveling has turned into a pack-hunting game for trophy enthusiasts. If you've gotten a Platinum in a game, with Platinums being the grand prize for unlocking all other trophies in a game, consider yourself a skilled warrior of trophy-attired fashion. There are sites out there for gamers that have a niche for wanting all a game has to offer, such as ps3trophies.org and ps3trophies.com.

On those two sites trophy guides are pieced together to show you the way of getting every single trophy you might have trouble doing yourself. The satisfaction some gamers receive from accomplishing a trophy task is that it can add longevity to a game. Say you've beaten a game already. Unlocking 8% or 26% of the trophy checklist already, you've still a ways to go afterward. If it means you have to complete the game a second time in order to achieve victory for one particular trophy or more, this then would add to that goal.

Not only increasing your trophy card data, it would give you something more to do with the game if you really had the inkling to want to do it all over again. Trophies are not at all a requisite for being a PlayStation 3 gamer, but nevertheless most games from 2009 onward have included them (and some before then). Whether you want to gather trophies just to say you have them or to show off to friends, or to give yourself extra credit with the game(s) you're currently digesting is all up to you.

Hi there Gray.

When it's put like that, I can see where hunting for trophies would be a fun thing to do that increases the games replay value over a long period of time. If I'm right in the way I'm understanding it, then trophies can be sort of like a bunch of in-game side quests that, once finished can be shown off, or kept hidden away.

I looked at a couple of those trophy guides and I decided that I don't really want to know what I need to do to get a trophy, and I don't want to know because when I do get a trophy like I have been in Red Faction: Guerrilla, half of the time I don't even know what I did to get that trophy until I go and look at the accomplishment that unlocked it, then I feel ridiculously excited because I accomplished something without knowing it. lol

So, in my case I think I would be just the casual person who likes to get them, but isn't going to hunt for them now that I know their purpose. Although it's possible that point of view might change.

Message 7 of 18 (9,808 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
11368 posts

Mar 31, 2012

Where normally you might not care too much about whether you get a trophy or not, one day you might find yourself analyzing the list of trophies for a game you've popped in. Maybe you'll think... "Collect 5 Nero Bombs in under 2 minutes? Hey, I can do that!" And if you really can, will you do the same for the next challenge: getting 10 in under 4 minutes?

If you find yourself able to muster up the experience for 80% of the trophies in a single game, what's to stop you from attempting the record-breaker of all 100%? That's part of what trophy collecting is all about, is overcoming a series of difficulties you didn't know you had in you.

Sometimes it's about completing a game on the hardest setting. Other times it involves developing a level 50 character. Granted, some trophies will come across as improbable at your own skill level. Having to gain a Platinum on every or any game you play doesn't have to be done. If it looks like you can get there though, the only thing ever stopping you is yourself. Whether you have the drive to do it or not is all in your corner.

Message 8 of 18 (9,808 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
19 posts

Mar 31, 2012

Very well said, Gray!

I agree with every point, and they're points that can be applied to gaming and even to times in real life.

In Red Faction: Guerrilla, I think that I'm up to 34% and I have thought about taking it the rest of the way, just to see if I can do it.

I earned some trophies in LittleBigPlanet, too but I have been into the story of Red Faction and I wanted to finish the story, but now that I've beaten the story I can focus a little more on LittleBigPlanet, but I digress, I may still go for all of the trophies in Red Faction.

LittleBigPlanet is so much fun, when I play it I can't get enough of it.

It makes me laugh, it's cute, challenging and creative, so I think that if I can't get all of the trophies in Red Faction.. LittleBigPlanet may be the one that I complete; and that completion might just be unintentional. lol

My skill level is on an average level, I would say..

I was having trouble with one of the missions in Red Faction, I didn't think that I would be able to do it, but I stuck to it and I eventually got it. I think when your skill is challenged, it really comes down to your perseverance, or your "drive" as you call it.

Message 9 of 18 (9,808 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
849 posts

Apr 2, 2012

Hek!

I my self need more torphies,,,,

I get a craving for them !

I NEED MORE!!!!!

@_@