May 13 2012
By: Asraik Survivor 2224 posts

PSone Games - Should They Have Trophies?

7 replies 4573 views Edited May 13, 2012

I never understood this, when playing a PSone game (downloaded from the PlayStation Store) they lack the trophies to be obtained through a playthrough/meeting certain tasks the so many other games have. I find it strange as a PS+ member that I get these PSone games that I have usually (there are a few exceptions) no reason to play. I think that the additions of trophies should be included in all current, and future PSone releases on the PlayStation Store. I would even go as far to say that there should be a platinum trophy included (however that is not a prime concern of mine) but I would be happy if they added atleast some trophies and didn't include a platinum.  I don't understand why PSone 'classics' lack a trophy system yet many PSN games such as RISK: Factions, Sonic The Hedgehog 2, ect have trophies.

Sony officially stated (in a blog post) that the PS3 requires paid games to reward players with trophies (at least when discussing DC Universe Online) so why is it that PSone games lack a trophy system? Although as PS+ I get them free, I technically "bought" the game and should have trophies with them. Even if I wasn't a Plus member and I bought a PSone classic, it would still have trophies absent.

Untitled.png

Taken from: http://blog.us.playstation.com/2011/09/19/dc-universe-online-for-ps3-is-going-free-to-play/#comments

So what do you think of the subject? Should PSone games have trophies, and if so should they have a platinum included with it? (Sorry if this has been posted before as I looked using the search bar and didn't see a topic on it. I also believe this would be the correct section for discussing trophy related topics so yeah.)

Message 1 of 8 (4,573 Views)
PlayStation MVP
11241 posts

Re: PSone Games - Should They Have Trophies?

May 16, 2012

I fail to grasp why this should be an issue to start with. You're talking about games that are at least 10 years old and 2 systems ago. These games are only re-released in digital format and run using a PS 1 emulator program. These games were never coded with Trophies to start with and have no need to have them added. They are classics and thus should be left in their original, non-Trophy, states.

Why do gamers insist on having Trophies or Achievements as the sole reason to play a game to start with? I have bought a few PS1 classics over the years and play the games because they interest me. The incentive to play an older games should be for the experience. Honestly that is why I game as it is. I don't buy games for Trophies or Achievements. I buy a game for the story, the experience, and to keep myself from going crazy while out of work due to disability.

"Sony officially stated (in a blog post) that the PS3 requires paid games to reward players with trophies."

The above quote is in reference only to PS3 games. They sadly made that decision in regards to all newly created PS3 and PSN games.  Not PS1 games re-released for the PSN store. Not PS2 games re-released for the PSN store. Only brand new PSN and PS3 games. Thankfully they left the classics alone.

Trophies should not be the "incentive" to play a game. If that's the only reason you feel you can play a game, then in my opinion you're gaming for the wrong reasons.

Oh and if you're obtaining games for free via PS+ they are not considered to be bought because the moment your membership lapses you lose access to them.

Message 2 of 8 (4,572 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1042 posts

May 17, 2012

I agree, unles it is a remake from a PSone game I don't believe trophies are necesary, altough I'll take one trophy for owning the game, just one

http://gamercards.playfire.com/_/psn/1189198/0/1.png?WZwNPcMzbf

Message 3 of 8 (4,572 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
16 posts

Jul 11, 2012

That would be fun playing old PS1 games for trophies and would boost PS1 game sales for Sony.  Not entirely sure how many of those old games are being purchased now but would definitely increase with trophies.

Just wonder how much work that would take?  Does it have to involve the original studio?  If so some games might not have that studio around anymore.

Message 4 of 8 (4,531 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
5698 posts

Jul 13, 2012

I know that you never liked trophies Pop, but I do understand your argument with this particular post.

Asraik, you make it sound as if you cannot enjoy a PS1 game simply because it does not have a trophy attached to it. Coming from a trophy hunter, I find that odd. Sure I love trophies and I am all over the chance to collect them, but I still do not need them in order to play a game. I stand with Pop on this one, sure I don't see all his views on trophies, but I can understand his statements. I have gone out of my way to collect trophies on games I would never touch before, but if there was a game I wanted to play. Trophies would have little or no role in my decision to play it.

Cheers, Brrnout

PS MVPs: Motivated. Vigilant. Passionate.
Proud to be an MVP and serving our community since June 2010
Message 5 of 8 (4,519 Views)
0 Likes
Monster Hunter
35 posts

Jul 20, 2012

I would have loved to see trophies on PSOne classics. My favorite game would have to be MediEvil 1 and 2. A game ahead of its time imo. It had collectibles and a lot of different weapons. Great story as well

Message 6 of 8 (4,489 Views)
0 Likes
Survivor
2224 posts

[ Edited ]
Jul 31, 2012

Brrnout wrote:

I know that you never liked trophies Pop, but I do understand your argument with this particular post.

Asraik, you make it sound as if you cannot enjoy a PS1 game simply because it does not have a trophy attached to it. Coming from a trophy hunter, I find that odd. Sure I love trophies and I am all over the chance to collect them, but I still do not need them in order to play a game. I stand with Pop on this one, sure I don't see all his views on trophies, but I can understand his statements. I have gone out of my way to collect trophies on games I would never touch before, but if there was a game I wanted to play. Trophies would have little or no role in my decision to play it.

Cheers, Brrnout

I never meant to say you can't not enjoy it for the lack of trophies, however it was a suggestion. You even said you go out to collect trophies on games you wouldn't touch before, although trophies don't influence games you want to play they do the opposite and get you to play ones you may never have touched otherwise.  If PSone games had trophies, than we could see an increase in sales among gamers for PSone games and it wouldn't be a horrible addition. I also play games for fun, and not just trophy hunting (Uncharted 3's Multiplayer after getting 100% for example) and have played my fair share of games that lack trophies (Dynasty Warriors 6, Assassin's Creed.) I just think it would be good, not like it will negatively impact your gaming experience so I don't see the harm in adding tophies.

Papawarlock wrote:

I fail to grasp why this should be an issue to start with. You're talking about games that are at least 10 years old and 2 systems ago. These games are only re-released in digital format and run using a PS 1 emulator program. These games were never coded with Trophies to start with and have no need to have them added. They are classics and thus should be left in their original, non-Trophy, states.

Why do gamers insist on having Trophies or Achievements as the sole reason to play a game to start with? I have bought a few PS1 classics over the years and play the games because they interest me. The incentive to play an older games should be for the experience. Honestly that is why I game as it is. I don't buy games for Trophies or Achievements. I buy a game for the story, the experience, and to keep myself from going crazy while out of work due to disability.

"Sony officially stated (in a blog post) that the PS3 requires paid games to reward players with trophies."

The above quote is in reference only to PS3 games. They sadly made that decision in regards to all newly created PS3 and PSN games.  Not PS1 games re-released for the PSN store. Not PS2 games re-released for the PSN store. Only brand new PSN and PS3 games. Thankfully they left the classics alone.

Trophies should not be the "incentive" to play a game. If that's the only reason you feel you can play a game, then in my opinion you're gaming for the wrong reasons.

Oh and if you're obtaining games for free via PS+ they are not considered to be bought because the moment your membership lapses you lose access to them.

I never said it was an issue, I said it as a suggestion. PSN games have trophies, so I see no harm in them coming to PSone games. I am just saying it would give people more of an intiative to play and also be good for people who like trophies. I also never stated I only buy games that have trophies, and I wouldn't buy a game just based on that. Starhawk is a good example, I dislike the game (played the Beta) with a passion and would not buy it to satisfy some trophy/achievment satisfaction. Technically that quote says "paid games" and PS2/PS1 classics are paid for and could be considered the same as buying a full PS3 game (sure not as expensive, however it is still a game that you buy.) I also never said trophies should be the only reason to play a game, however I enjoy a challenge and pushing my abilities to certain tasks, it feels good to know that you did something after putting a lot of hard effort in. I am just saying, it would be a welcomed addition and allow for players to do certain tasks to feel accomplished and to show off their skills. Technically, although you must renew your service, so long as you do so you keep the games. Also renewing it at anytime gives you access to those  games again, so technically paying the subscription based fee acts like buying them so long as you keep it up.

In the end, I am not saying the only reason to play games in because of trophies or that I or anyone else solely games for trophies (I am sure even trophy hunters have some joy in many games of their choice that may or may not have trophies.) I am just suggesting it would be a nice addition to these classics. Although you may disapprove, it won't outright hurt anyone in the end will it? In my eyes, adding trophies will solely give more reason for people to play (to return to their classics or to trophy hunt), will get companies who are selling these more money, and make the games funner (to do certain tasks to feel rewarded.) I am just saying, although you may like or dislike trophies, they are a part of gaming on the PS3 and I see no harm in adding them.

Message 7 of 8 (4,435 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
587 posts

Jul 31, 2012
It woulde be great to have them on PSOne and 2 but it'll never happen.

Pinball totally rules!
--------------------
Message 8 of 8 (4,430 Views)
0 Likes