May 22 2012
By: MysteryPerson Treasure Hunter 5286 posts

Does anyone else play games mainly for trophies?

15 replies 462 views Edited May 22, 2012

Once Ive gotten all the trophies in a game the game just feels empty. I have over 2,000 trophies and out of all of those games Skyrim and the CoD games are the only games I kept playing after getting every trophy. I remember when trophies first came out I was almost in the top 100 with about 700 trophies. I stopped obsessing over them after I looked at a guy on my friends list who has a massive amount of trophies. He was level 26 or 27 last I checked. Probably level 30 by now.

Message 1 of 16 (462 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
11212 posts

Re: Does anyone else play games mainly for trophies?

May 22, 2012

I don't play games for the Trophies. Never have and hopefully I never will. I dislike seeing people ask for easy plat games because they want one but don't want to make a real effort to get them. I can also play a game that doesn't have Trophies like old PS1 classics. I really hate seeing gamers make statements like "Sony should put Trophies in PS1 and PS2 classics because I won't buy them without any." /eye roll/

Do I get Trophies? Yeah. But never in a game I don't like.

Message 2 of 16 (462 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
11419 posts

May 23, 2012

As hard as you might try to fight it, it's not always unavoidable picking up trophies in the games that don't mesh with your palette. Buying games in my corner is done through a number of ways, whether I liked the demo, whether the trailer makes it seem cool, or whether you trust in the company and the words of critics compelling you to grab this latest opus.

Last year, I ended up buying El Shaddai: Ascension of the Metatron based on factors such as the demo and the recomendation from Game Informer. In turn, while it wasn't that bad of a game, the game ended up disappointing me more than I'd like. It could have been worse, it could have better, but overall I fetched a small percentage of trophies from trying to get a ways into the game and attempt to put up with it.

By comparison, there are numerous games I've dealt with, on both sides of the scale that also fetch as few or as many trophies as I'm willing to bear the game. No matter how wonderful some games are, the path to the trophies sometimes are left in shadow (those trophies without descriptions) or the ones that are too tough to get. And then there's easier trophies that pair up with other games. Sometimes, these may end up being ones you have a dim view of.

There are several games I've gotten free through the Plus program so far, many of which have proven abysmal. I've put time into some of them, maybe collecting one, two, or as many trophies as I've been able to stomach the games. And there are a few out there such as Hydrophobia Prophecy that retain their 0%, as I've absolutely no desire to return to the game - not for trophies and definitely not for the game itself.

Message 3 of 16 (462 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3063 posts

May 23, 2012

I never buy games for trophies, that would be a waste of money. If the games I buy have trophies and I end up liking the game enough I'll go for all the trophies for it. Even after I get the platinum there are some games I don't play anymore because I literally did everything the game had to offer but the majority of times I still play the game until I get bored of it or something else catches my attention.

"I'm not a failure because I didn't win, I'm a failure because I didn't try." - Kev

Message 4 of 16 (462 Views)
0 Likes
Monster Hunter
34 posts

May 23, 2012

Trophies don't have any bearing for me.  I like it if a game I'm playing has trophies, but I won't go out of my way to get one unless it really opens up a new level of the game for me.  For instance, I won't play a level over if I killed 48 enemies and not 50.  But I'll play until the trophies indicate I've explored all of the game there is to explore.

That's not to say I don't like trophies.  It's a fun little surprise when you get that chime and you see the trophy appear on your screen.

johnny_toastburn Trophy Card
Message 5 of 16 (462 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
11927 posts

May 24, 2012

If I need trophies in order to play through a video game (or replay it) then I tend to think that the video game in question isn’t worth my time. With that being said, I don’t play video games for their trophies. I will go days (very often), weeks (often), and months (sometimes) without earning a single trophy because I will be more interested in playing through video games than hunting for their trophies. Unless I’m making a conscious effort to acquire trophies then I probably will not be increasing my trophy level very much at all. A really good example of this is Uncharted 3: Drake’s Deception. I spend a lot of time playing this video game online with my friends. At this point in time there are only 2 trophies for the online multiplayer component(s) in this video game.

Twitter: @Sweet13Poison | YouTube: Sweetest13Poison | Twitch: Sweet13Poison

Message 6 of 16 (462 Views)
0 Likes
Welcoming Committee
7479 posts

May 24, 2012

I like collecting trophies, but I will not buy a game only for trophies. What I usually do is playthrough the game first not worrying about trophies and not looking at the list. Then after I finish the game I will look at the list and go after the trophies I missed. It`s always satisfying knowing you got a platnium.

However certain games have trophies I do not go for. Like online ones for example, they are often next to impossible to get. There are even some games, who`s online has no one playing, making the trophies actually impossible to earn. If I run into a trophy I find to hard, that it makes it fustrating, I often will not bother with it, as you then begin to not have fun any more which defeats the purpose of games. As well it will increase your stress levels which is not good for you, and gaming should have the opposite effect. (relieving stress.)

So, I will only buy games that I am interested in, I got I belive 11 platnium trophies, and they were from games I was interested in. (note once in a while I do end up getting a game I thought I would like but didn`t) but I think you should by games based on if you think you will like the game.

Message 7 of 16 (462 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
13631 posts

May 25, 2012

I like to play games once through, not really worrying about the trophies. I'll still look through the list just to see if I have to start planning for any or such (like difficulty trophies or multiple character/class-type trophies...boy do I hate them). But I won't really start going for trophies until I know I like the game. If I happen to get most trophies and not really like the game I may go see if the rest are easy and grab them...otherwise I'll just let them go (look at my Mass Effect trophies, for example...both have some trophies missing because I just can't stand to play through again, though if I'm really bored I may try again...but I have to be really bored)

EDIT: As for playing games again after getting all the trophies...if the game is good enough to warrent it there's no reason for me not to play again. But since most games take a full playthrough or two to get all the trophies, that tends to be enough. Also doesn't help a lot of games just don't have enough content to continuously play several times without getting boring, which is sad. Multiplayer games and RPGs are the exception, though.

Message 8 of 16 (462 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1964 posts

May 27, 2012

I only play for trophies in my 3rd or 4th playthrough of a game. Trophies are nice to have, but they aren't my top priority when getting a game.

Message 9 of 16 (462 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
16 posts

May 31, 2012

When any game installs on my system the first thing i do is look at the TROPHIES and see  HOW MANY and maybe how difficult the might be cause some trophies requires beating the game 2 or 3 times ..THOSE  ARE THE WORST

Message 10 of 16 (462 Views)
0 Likes