Dec 31 2013
By: LGGHero First Son 5 posts

Trials that become available as a free game problem

6 replies 250 views Edited Dec 31, 2012
So before I left for basic training I had downloaded Resident Evil 5 Gold Edition while I still had my plus membership. I didn't play the game before I left so it just stayed there untouched.
Come around the time near the end of November (the 25 to be exact) I was looking online with my phone and it said that they were offering the game as free game for plus subscribers. So I called my brother to turn on my ps3, renew my plus subscription, and download all the games that came with it, even the vita ones. I made a strong emphasis for him to download resident evil, and he did, but he said that it showed up still as the timed trial. So I told him to delete it and download it again, which he did.
I wasn't able to contact him until I got home for Christmas exedus. So I turn on my ps3, saw that he downloaded everything, and resident evil still said it was a timed trial. So I played the stupid hour, and now it's telling me to buy the game.
I called playstation and the woman was very nice and she tried everything she could to get me the game. She said if it doesn't show up in the transaction history, then there was nothing she could do for me.
My question is, since the trial was on my ps3, does that mean that the free version couldn't be downloaded, and therefore it didn't show up in my download OR my transactions?
I know that he downloaded it when it was free, because he went and did everything else and downloaded everything that was available, and renewed my plus subscription and I have proof of all of that.
I think it's a plus problem that they never expected to happen and that Sony needs to look into because that's bull. Especially since I was in my OSUT part of my Army Infantry training at the time.
Message 1 of 7 (250 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
11368 posts

Re: Trials that become available as a free game problem

Dec 31, 2012

From the way you've described this situation, it sounds like you might've downloaded the PlayStation Plus trial for Resident Evil 5 just before you went away. Then you asked your brother to download the free version from Plus after reactivating your account. However, since it sounds as if you didn't play through the PlayStation Plus trial until you got back home from army training then the trial itself was never dissolved until that later point.

In other words, if you didn't play through the trial to deactivate it from Plus recognizing it as anything else while the game was still free to Plus members then you've missed out on that account. If you were to have to downloaded the trial, then played through the hour during the month of November, and then tried to activate the game during the month of November, then in that case I'm thinking you would have had your free copy of Resident Evil 5 waiting.

Message 2 of 7 (244 Views)
First Son
5 posts

Dec 31, 2012
But the point being was that he still downloaded the free version. Where does it say that I had to play the trial first just to get my game?
Message 3 of 7 (240 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
11368 posts

Dec 31, 2012

I'm thinking it might be that way because of how the trial nonsense gets in the way of having the game available to you. For some reason, when I had downloaded the "Free" version of Resident Evil 5 myself when it was available during the month of November, the file that was downloaded was actually a 60-minute game trial. Once the downloaded completed and was installed, I had no choice but to play through or sit and wait until the 60 minutes came to a close before the game was actually accessible.

It might be that I once had downloaded the game's trial long ago, and had forgotten about doing so. But whatever the case is, obviously the game wasn't available to play until the trial was over. That's the whole point I'm trying to make. Unfortunately, I'm thinking that since you didn't remove the trial phase before your time was up... then it seems as if you missed out on the game completely.

Message 4 of 7 (234 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
5 posts

Dec 31, 2012
That shouldn't be my fault though. I still downloaded and got the game.
Message 5 of 7 (229 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
11368 posts

Dec 31, 2012

That may be so, but it sounds as if not even the PlayStation tech support team can figure out a way to bypass the system for which it sounds as if there's one essential fault at work here that's keeping the game from being yours. And it sounds like the cause may be that you never activated the game while it was free, so in that case it never became yours to have, hold, and keep forever.

If you can find help through Sony's support line then I think that's the only way to get the game for free still, unless of course you'd rather just buy a physical copy of the game. Amazon has Resident Evil 5's Gold Edition for about $20 at the moment. That's not too bad of a deal, if you desperately want this nearly four-year-old game that much.

Message 6 of 7 (226 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
5 posts

Dec 31, 2012
It's not that I want the game that bad. I just recently bought RE6. It's the fact that they need to fix that problem. And plus I'm paying for the plus service, and I expect to get my money's worth and for them to keep their word if they say a **bleep** game is free.
Message 7 of 7 (223 Views)
0 Likes