Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Jan 30 2014
By: meekboss First Son 4 posts
Accepted Solution

(Online Storage) My beef with playstation plus

[ Edited ]
6 replies 563 views Edited Jan 30, 2014

Joseph M.: Hi, my name is Joseph M.. How may I help you?
 chris meek: yes i would like to know how to disable cloud saving entirely
 Joseph M.: I understand this can be frustrating, chris. I'd be happy to look into this for you today.

chris meek: thank you I was not aware of this service at all when purchasing ps+ and i appreciate you help
 Joseph M.: This will be a moment. 
 chris meek: no problem :smileyhappy:
 Joseph M.: Unfortunately there does not appear to have an option to disable. 
 chris meek: so I have to stay offline while playing a game even though i am paying to be able to play online?
 Joseph M.: Unfortunately no. Is the update interfering with the online game? 
 chris meek: well i often go over to a friends house who has no internet to play some games and as i found out these past days my saves were not saved onto my system because of your cloud saving service 
 chris meek: then when i proceeded to go replay the game it wiped all of my save progress and i had to begin anew losing 10+ hours of progress 
 Joseph M.: I understand how you feel. Unfortunately at the moment there is no way to disable the online storage. There should be in the future. This will require an update. We do not have information on future updates at the moment. 
 chris meek: So after about a month of searching to buy your latest console and then purchasing ps+ I cannot disable a feature i had no idea came with this service that causes me to lose data on a regular basis you think that whomever made this service mandatory would have thought about this before doing so
 chris meek: I do apologize for taking this out on you i realize its not your fault but losing 10+ hours of data everytime i decide to go over to a friends house is extremely frustrating 
 Joseph M.: I understand how your fee. I would feel the same way if the data was lost on my system. Normally it should not overwrite the data on your system with older data, but overwrite the data online with the newer data from your system. 
 Joseph M.: I understand how your feel. I mean. 
 Joseph M.: Are you still there?
 chris meek: That is exactly the problem unless i have my system disconnected from the internet it uploads the data off of my system and puts it into cloud storage and hence when i go to a  friends house i must start anew every time if i choose to do so when i return to my house my cloud save get overwritten and i must begin back at where i left off at a friends house making it a vicious cycle  
 chris meek: so in short i must either A: keep my system offline entirely 
 chris meek: or B: never go to a friends house 
 chris meek: all because of a service that i am paying for
 Joseph M.: The only suggestion I can offer is to create a new user to play the games at when you are off the Internet, That way this data will be saved on your system and not overwrite the data online when the system is back online. 
 chris meek: That does seem to be the quick fix i just think its outrageous that a service i am paying for would require me to do such a thing in the first place
 Joseph M.: I understand how you feel. The online storage is one of the benefits of subscribing to PS Plus. 
 chris meek: It would have been nice to know such a thing before making the purchase instead of leading me to believe everything would work the same way as it did with the ps3 as my last encounter with ps+ was when all of that data got leaked and everybody was offered a free month of the service  
 chris meek: Also when i do make the new offline user is it possible for me to keep my current data or will i have to begin anew yet again?
 Joseph M.: I understand how you feel. I wish there was more I could offer. 
 Joseph M.: You would have to start over again. The saved data can not be transferred between users. 
 chris meek: ok well thank you for your time it seems I should have gone with the xbox one after all I would have had it a month sooner and without all of this headache
 Joseph M.: Is there anything else I can assist you with today?
 chris meek: thank you for your time  no that will be all you have a good day i apologize again for taking this frustration out on you
 Joseph M.: That is fine. Thank you for contacting PlayStation Chat Support, there is a brief survey at the end of this session.  Once we disconnect, please feel free to answer some questions regarding your chat experience with us.
 chris meek: alright thanks

Had I known that any of this were to happen i probably wouldnt have bought a ps4 at all gone with the more widely avalable xbox one. and for sure wouldnt have bought ps+ but the fact is i had no idea about the cloud saving and its overbearing problems

so it looks like i am paying for a service i cant even use if i still want to have a social life.

Please playstation let people know before you decide to ram somthing down there throats like this or at least have a turn off function for your great new ideas that more than likely nobody needs and some dont want.

anywho i apologize for the bad grammar but seriously I am paying for a service that is gonna make me have a second profile for offline wth is this.

Edit: updated thread title to reflect content

U--J

Message 1 of 7 (563 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
16762 posts

Re: My beef with playstation plus

Jan 30, 2014

You've got this all completely wrong.  Online storage is never a "problem".  You don't have to use it. At all.  This is a PS4.  Not an XBox.  Online storage isn't an either-or proposition on the PS4, or the PS3, or the Vita.  Games can't write data directly to online storage, or read data directly from online storage.  The console can copy your save data to online storage automatically; a feature that can be disabled.  Even if it does, the save data is still stored on your console also. Online storage never overwrites existing save data without prompting you, unless you choose to have it copy data automatically. It never does that by default, largely because the capacity of your online storage is limited to only 1GB, and can easily be exceeded if you copied everything to it. If a PS4 is not attached to the Internet, then it is not interacting with online storage in any way; obviously.  Online storage is not causing any data loss on your friend's PS4, if you friend's PS4 is not even connected to the Internet. That makes no sense at all. You need a Plus subscription to play online on the PS4, but that does not obligate you use online storage in any way.  Just disable automatic upload of save data to online storage for all of your games, and then just pretend that online storage never existed. 

Your save data will be stored locally on all consoles that you play on.  If you want to move save data from one console to another, and you don't want to use online storage, then you have to copy it from the PS4 to a USB storage device instead.  That would not work with your friend's non-Internet-connected PS4, because you have to be signed-in to PSN on the PS4 in order to copy saved data, even to or from a USB storage device.  That limitation of the PS4 has nothing to do with online storage, and would be true even if you were not a Plus subscriber.  If your friend's PS4 is not Internet-connected, then you can't copy your save data to or from it, for reasons that have nothing to do with Playstation Plus.  You need to understand that while the PS4 does not require an Internet connection to play disc games, the PS4 is designed to be used with a broadband Internet connection, and is not fully functional without one.  If you have not signed in to PSN on your friend's PS4, then the save data you created is not associated with your PSN account.  It isn't yours as far as the PS4s are concerned.  You just think of it as being yours. You are not going to be able to get that save data on your PS4 until your friend connects his console to the Internet, but your save data is still on your friend's PS4 if your user profile there has not been erased.  That's the way it is.

GKP
Message 2 of 7 (548 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
4 posts

Jan 30, 2014

Dear mr gpk I would have to strongly disagree with you online storage for me is a problem as you cannot disable it the ps+ tech told me that as you could have read and there is no way that i know of to stop it from automaticly uploading downloading and overwriting.

also my freinds does not have a playsytation 4 as per why i lug my ps4 over to his house physicly.

The ps4 cannot write to the online storage while offline thing is true but why would i pay for a online service just to stay offline?

Online storage never overwrites existing save data without prompting you, < as for this i have never once been prompted for anything like this it just does it when it autosaves 

The console can copy your save data to online storage automatically; a feature that can be disabled. < This is exactly what i ask the ps+ tech and he said it will be avalible in future updates but not now 

Even if it does, the save data is still stored on your console also < this may only because i have only tried very few games but after they upload to cloud i can no longer access those saves while offline as per why i have to start again 

anywho i appreciate your quick response 

Love the boss

Message 3 of 7 (535 Views)
0 Likes
Welcoming Committee
6904 posts

Jan 30, 2014
Your problem seems strange, but what gkpama00 said was correct, game saves are not able to run directly off of the online storage, they must run off the system, and auto upload can be turned on or off through the settings, and it does not over write any data on the system, as said it can over write data in the online storage, but your problem shouldn`t be happening if you have the data on the system.
Message 4 of 7 (528 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation Support
5145 posts

[ Edited ]
Jan 30, 2014

@meekboss 

Looks like the agent was mistaken.

Go to Settings>System>Automatic Downloads and Uploads>Uncheck the box to disable automatic uploads 

You can then manually upload saves to online storage by going to Settings>Application Saved Data management>Saved Data in System Storage>Upload to Online Storage

Thanks,

U--J

PlayStation Moderation and Support Guy @ www.playstationsupportforum.com
Message 5 of 7 (516 Views)
0 Likes
Monster Hunter
35 posts

Re: (Online Storage) My beef with playstation plus

Jan 31, 2014
um. unicorn i need som help.
Message 6 of 7 (500 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
4744 posts

Re: (Online Storage) My beef with playstation plus

Feb 4, 2014

dragonfamily310p wrote:
um. unicorn i need som help.

What do you need help with?  This thread has been "solved" so they may not be coming back.

Message 7 of 7 (470 Views)
0 Likes