Aug 07 2013
By: AznKyd_ First Son 4 posts
Accepted Solution

Borderlands (1) has expired?

12 replies 290 views Edited Aug 7, 2013

When I got my PS3 for christmas back in 2011, it came with the 30-Day trial of PS+, and I belive in January I downloaded Borderlands because it was one of the free games available at the time. After the trial expired, I never renewed, but I kept Borderlands installed anyways.

About a month ago, I renewed my PS+, and started playing Borderlands again. Now when I went to go play it this past weekend (August 3-4) it says the game has expired, and leads me to the store, which asks me to buy the game itself.

I looked on different forums online, and a suggestion said to delete it and re-install it. Fine. I delete it, and when I go look through my downloads list, Borderlands isn't there. The only option on the store is to buy the full version.

Can anyone explain to me why this is?

Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 13 (290 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1614 posts

Re: Borderlands (1) has expired?

Aug 8, 2013

start with a more obvious question but  did your plus suscription expire?

Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 13 (278 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
4 posts

Aug 8, 2013

Oh no, I should've put renewed with a year PS+

Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 13 (274 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
12252 posts

Aug 8, 2013

That doesn't make much sense.  Any game that you download for free as a Playstation Plus subscriber, should have expired within a day of your Plus subscription's end.  The game should not have worked at all after that. If you waited a year to buy another subscription, then you would have lost all of the free games that you got during the trial, so it is no mystery why the game is not on your downloads list.  The mystery is why it worked at all since you renewed your Plus subscription. It shouldn't have.  When you downloaded the game during the 30 day trial subscription, did you play it, or just download it? How many times did you play it in the last month before it stopped working?

GKP
Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 13 (267 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
161 posts

Aug 8, 2013
You downloaded Borderlands in January of 2012? all games have 1 year to expire from when they are featured in the store.

My 30 day trial expired, and I renewed a month later so all the games I had previously were able of being downloaded again.
Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 13 (262 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1614 posts

Aug 8, 2013

wondering when you played it again this past week, did you re-download it from the free trial section?

Please use plain text.
Message 6 of 13 (259 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
4 posts

Aug 9, 2013

I understand that when your PS+ is up, it won't let you play. However, a friend told me that if I have it in my downloads list it should be fine.

I played Borderlands during the 30 day trial, I know I put in at least a good 5 hours so I know it couldn't have been a 60-Minute trial.

In the past month, I only played about 90-Minutes (Consisting of the tutorial missions and what not.)

Lastly, I also hagve the Back to the Future games that were free at the same time, and I'm able to play them no problem.

Please use plain text.
Message 7 of 13 (243 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
12252 posts

Aug 9, 2013

I don't have an explanation.  It is still in my downloads list.  If you claimed it when you were a Plus subscriber before, then you should have it as far as I know.  My understanding of the Plus subscription grace period is that it is all or nothing, although it doesn't have to work that way.  You should contact Playstation customer support at this point (https://support.us.playstation.com/app/contact_options), but don't be surprised if they don't have any insights or solutions.

GKP
Please use plain text.
Message 8 of 13 (241 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
4 posts

Aug 10, 2013

I accept CurtisC87's answer.

Episode 2 of Back to the Future won't play, and I will admit when I played Borderlands within the past month, it was no more than an hour, which means it may have been a 60minute trial.

Thank you all for your input.

Please use plain text.
Message 9 of 13 (230 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
63 posts

Aug 12, 2013
it is my understanding that plus games stay in your download list and are visible/downloadable upon renewal should your membership lapse. Am I wrong in thinking this? Swear this was official states year or so back, but things change.
Please use plain text.
Message 10 of 13 (200 Views)
0 Likes