Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Jan 10 2013
By: DukeofJahan First Son 5 posts

Backing up PS3 saved game data files

6 replies 2378 views Edited Jan 10, 2013

Hello there!

I'm thinking about getting a new PS3 but I really don't want to lose any of my saved game files. I've copied all the files I can to my USB. I couldn't copy everything which worries me. For example, I can't copy my saved game files of Mass Effect 1 (I bought the 3 disc trilogy a month ago). But I can copy the Mass Effect 2 files.

Will the PS PLus membership allow me to copy all of my games files? (Like my Mass Effect 1?)

Another question. If I do get a Plus membership with my current PS3, will I be able to access the account on another PS3 (if I buy another one?)

I really just want to save my game files when I get a new ps3. My current one is giving me trouble.

Thank you.

Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 7 (2,378 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation Community Manager
1474 posts

Re: Backing up PS3 saved game data files

Jan 10, 2013

DukeofJahan wrote:

Hello there!

I'm thinking about getting a new PS3 but I really don't want to lose any of my saved game files. I've copied all the files I can to my USB. I couldn't copy everything which worries me. For example, I can't copy my saved game files of Mass Effect 1 (I bought the 3 disc trilogy a month ago). But I can copy the Mass Effect 2 files.

Will the PS PLus membership allow me to copy all of my games files? (Like my Mass Effect 1?)

Another question. If I do get a Plus membership with my current PS3, will I be able to access the account on another PS3 (if I buy another one?)

I really just want to save my game files when I get a new ps3. My current one is giving me trouble.

Thank you.

Yep, you can a) back up any and all PS3 save files on the cloud; up to 1GB. Note that PSone or PS2 Classic save data is not able to be transferred to the cloud. When you get your new PS3, simply log in with your account information and you'll have acces to Plus and your saves. However, I have heard that it may take up to 24 hours from first activation for your save data to populate into the cloud on that PS3. But all in all, it should work just fine. 

- morgan haro, SCEA PlayStation Community Management Team
@morganharo

Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 7 (2,371 Views)
PlayStation MVP
13988 posts

[ Edited ]
Jan 11, 2013

Some PS3 save data is marked as copy-prohibited (locked) by the developer.  Locked save data can't be copied to an external storage device. Mass Effect is one such game, and there are maybe a couple dozen others (Demon's Souls, Dark Souls, Alice : Madness Returns, for example). Actually, it is possible for developers to mark copy-prohibited save data so that it can't be copied to Playstation Plus online storage either, but I'm not aware of any current PS3 games in North America that do that. In general, you can copy all save data to Playstation Plus online storage.  You can use your PSN account on as many PS3s as you want, and they can all access your online storage. If you go that route, be aware that sometimes you have to upload one save data from the new PS3; before the existing save data becomes visible in online storage in that PS3.  Also, if you upload copy-prohibited save data to online storage, you can only download it to another PS3 once every 24 hours.

As you are planning to buy your new PS3 while your old one still works, provided that you have both at the same time, you can use the Data Transfer Utility in the System Settings menu to clone your old PS3 to your new one over an Ethernet cable.  During the cloning process all of your save data, including the copy-prohibited save data, will be copied, or at least moved, to the new PS3 (along with your downloaded games, videos, user profiles, media, and everything else).  You do not need Playstation Plus to transfer all of the save data if you are using the Data Transfer Utility.  Note that the PS3 Backup Utility will not work for this.  The Backup Utility backs up all save data, including copy-prohibited save data; but it will only restore the copy-prohibited save data to the same PS3 that it came from in the first place.  If you restore the backup to a different PS3, the copy-prohibited save data (and anything from the Playstation Store) won't be restored.

I recommend subscribing to Playstation Plus in general, but you may not need it in this particular case.

GKP
Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 7 (2,365 Views)
First Son
5 posts

Jan 12, 2013
I was planning on trading my current 160 gb slim PS3 to get credit at Gamestop. I then wanted to purchase a new PS3. I will consider the Ethernet route you mentioned. Maybe I'll be allowed to do it. Thank you for telling me.

If I were to do the Ethernet transfer, would I be able to transfer save file data that is copy-protected (like Mass Effect?)

Thank you both for answering my question. I really appreciate it.
Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 7 (2,357 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
4534 posts

Jan 12, 2013

DukeofJahan wrote:
I was planning on trading my current 160 gb slim PS3 to get credit at Gamestop. I then wanted to purchase a new PS3. I will consider the Ethernet route you mentioned. Maybe I'll be allowed to do it. Thank you for telling me.

If I were to do the Ethernet transfer, would I be able to transfer save file data that is copy-protected (like Mass Effect?)

Thank you both for answering my question. I really appreciate it.

You need to have both PS3s to do the data transfer.  You can't trade in and then do it, you'd have to buy the new system, transfer, and then sell your old one.  All files copy over, even protected ones.  They won't stay on the old PS3.  After transferring data, you should format the old PS3 and make sure your account is removed/deactivated before getting rid of it.

Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 7 (2,331 Views)
PlayStation MVP
13988 posts

Jan 12, 2013

As JERM7 said, you would have to do it the other way around.  Buy the new PS3 first.  Take it home, transfer the data, and then trade the old one in for credit.  You would not be able to use the credit towards the new PS3 in that case.  You would have to use the credit for games or accessories.  The Data Transfer Utility will move copy-prohibited games saves like Mass Effect to the new PS3.  They are deleted from the old PS3 afterwards.  Save data that is not copy-prohibited will be on both PS3s after the transfer.

GKP
Please use plain text.
Message 6 of 7 (2,326 Views)
PlayStation MVP
47908 posts

[ Edited ]
Jan 15, 2013
Please use plain text.
Message 7 of 7 (2,304 Views)
0 Likes