Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Aug 31 2012
By: markp2202 First Son 1 posts

PS3 motion controllers not lighting up

[ Edited ]
3 replies 1549 views Edited Aug 31, 2012

Hi all,

Got a bit of a specific problem that I've not been able to find any help for online. Basically I have two PS3 move motion controllers that work absoutely fine (they navigate XMB, register button presses) except the spheres do not light up. The Eye accesory seems to be in working condition (I get video when tested in the accesories section of the XMB settings tab) . But I put in a game, click through the menus, and when it comes to calibrate time my controller's don't light up, even though I can still press all the buttons.

The only help I can find online is "send them back, they're faulty controllers". But I've used this kit for months and months without issue, it's only after they've all been unpacked after a brief storage that there's been any problem and I've reset, fully charged and unplugged-replugged everything in my living room, but to no avail.

Any reasons the spheres should just cut out - or do I need to get two new motion controllerd? It just seems a bit of a weird coincidence for me and I could use some help!

Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 4 (1,549 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1058 posts

Re: PS3 motion controllers not lighting up

Sep 3, 2012
Strange. I've never heard of this issue before.
To clarify: You've played games with those same Move controllers before, and now they don't light up? How long ago did the spheres stop lighting up? And curious: Which games have you tried playing it on?
I don't see any reason why the lights would cut out: They are LED after all and should last a long time. Where exactly did you store your controllers and for how long before you brought them back out?
Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 4 (1,533 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
1 posts

May 1, 2013

I have the exact same problem, other than the fact that I have never used these two move controllers before. I purchased two new move controllers from different stores, and two new navigation controllers from different stores. All seem to be pairing and navigating just fine. The camera also seems to be perfectly funtional ( I've had the camera for several months, and used it without issue).  Only when I am supposed to calibrate the controllers with the camera in a "Move" game, the sphere's don't light up and hence are not seen by the Eye.

I doubt that both controllers are bad, since I purchased them from different stores, and all other functions work. My PS3 software is up to date. I just updated yesterday.  Please let me know if there is any known solution. I gladly welcome any helpful suggestions as well. Thanks!!

Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 4 (624 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
4157 posts

May 9, 2013

moonjoon wrote:

I have the exact same problem, other than the fact that I have never used these two move controllers before. I purchased two new move controllers from different stores, and two new navigation controllers from different stores. All seem to be pairing and navigating just fine. The camera also seems to be perfectly funtional ( I've had the camera for several months, and used it without issue).  Only when I am supposed to calibrate the controllers with the camera in a "Move" game, the sphere's don't light up and hence are not seen by the Eye.

I doubt that both controllers are bad, since I purchased them from different stores, and all other functions work. My PS3 software is up to date. I just updated yesterday.  Please let me know if there is any known solution. I gladly welcome any helpful suggestions as well. Thanks!!

Try resetting them. There is a small button on the back of the Move controller. Use a small pin (like a paper clip) to push it in.

Then connect it to your PS3 with the USB. Hopefully this gets them lighting up again. :smileyhappy:

"You must make a friend of horror. Horror and moral terror are your friends. If they are not then they are enemies to be feared."

Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 4 (604 Views)
0 Likes