Sep 02 2013
By: wuemura Wastelander 927 posts

Is Pulse Elite Headset a case for recall?

[ Edited ]
14 replies 4136 views Edited Sep 2, 2013

Looking at the Internet and at this forum there is a lot of people with the exact same issue that now, I also have. There are cracks near the headband at both sides of my headset and I never, EVER drop it.

pulse_crack.JPG

As the picture show, there is a structural failure of the plastic caused by stress. Just like if you bend a metal back and forth over and over, soon enough the most stressed part will snap just like it is happening on this headset's. The stress is made when you put it on and take it off, that specific region doesn't have the structural support to hold the pressure and the natural movement that any one do while using it.

To me this is a clear case of a recall because this is not caused by the user.

What do you guys think?

Message 1 of 15 (4,136 Views)
Keyblade Wielder
7486 posts

Re: Is Pulse Elite Headset a case for recall?

Sep 2, 2013

I think that people with extra big heads (such as myself) need to be careful with any head set products. I have this exact headset and have had no issues with it since I've had it which encapsualtes about a year time span. I don't see droppping this as a cause for this type of crack but as a stress that is applied while donning the headset like you have described. 

I make sure to never "over stress" my headset by just opening it wide and going "face first" into wearing it. Always go "heads up" when wering a headset to avoid over stessing your gear. By heada up I mean placing it above your head and only opening it just enough to get over your dome and rest on your ears accordingly. I pay good money for my toys, I make sure I treat them witht the utmost respect. Do I think this is recall worthy? No. But I do think folks can be a little less than honest about their treatment of their items when something like this happens.

Message 2 of 15 (4,120 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
927 posts

Sep 3, 2013

I once was a Sony Engineer more than 10 years ago back at Sony Kohda Tech, and this has nothing to do with the user been careful or not, to my understanding the plastic has no structure to hold the stress. And what I know from Sony, they do stress tests and I personally was involved in many of those tests, if proper procedures was followed this can't happen on a Sony product.

I don't have a lab to test the materials but my suggestion to Sony is to check the lack of Ultra Violet Light protection and maybe also Uric Acid C5H4N4O3 since we touch that area with our fingers all the time. But this is a case for Plastics Engineering.

@GOW71, if my theory is correct, this will happen to your headset also and doesn't matter how good you treat it. Remember the Yellow SNES same will happens since it doesn't deppend on the user.

Message 3 of 15 (4,113 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
3 posts

Sep 4, 2013

Well I totally agree with you. I purchased my son's headset last December when we were vacationing in New York. He loved it and used it for only 5 months. Then the same happened to him. Sony won't provide me with technical assistance because I bought it overseas and I can't get it anywhere else.

I am so disappointed because it was so expensive!! And now the headset is new and broken... worse than yours because it totally split in both sides.

My son is very careful with his things but still broke down.

Let me know if you succeed in getting yours fixed.

I live in Brazil BTW

Message 4 of 15 (4,104 Views)
Wastelander
927 posts

Sep 4, 2013

I also live in Brazil and believe me, I understand you 100%. The only way around it's to find the parts and some one to do the job.

Message 5 of 15 (4,102 Views)
Wastelander
927 posts

[ Edited ]
Oct 1, 2013

So, after I left my headset hanging for 29 days straight like the picture bellow, without use:

CECHYA-0086

The crack got bigger and worse:

CECHYA-0086-02

29 days ago the crack was very small, look how it got worse over the time.

Now what Sony??

Message 6 of 15 (4,024 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
3 posts

Dec 16, 2013

I also purchased the Sony Pulse Elite Headset and have them cracked too. I taped them together but because of the cracks it began cutting the wires where I now have no control of my bass which is stuck on high. I did see a site where someone made metal brackets to prevent these issues from happening or atleast buying more time till it does. If you use this headset enough it WILL eventually begin to crack on both sides. For how much you pay "150.00" I beleave the headset needs a recall or if Sony chooses not to atleast come out with parts to prevent this. Sony should also make more customizations for headsets, remotes, and consoles which people like to do to be individual or have unique style. Other then the cracking I do think the Pulse Elites are a comfortable, stylish, awsome sounding headset with bass that nocks just about any other headset out of its way. I've tryed Turtle Beach's PX7s, PX5s, and PX21s and I still prefer my cracked headset over others. I have faith Sony will either recall the headset or come out with a model alike but made to prevent this.

Message 7 of 15 (3,584 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
3 posts

Dec 31, 2013

Is there a recall because mine definetly had the same issue. I tried taping them and finally they just broke so bad that they just hang. I loved these headsets at first but after 3 months I noticed the cracking. I called sony and they said to ship them back but I wanted to check if anyone received a different replacement or the exact same ones. My brother in law just bought some and they looked like no changes were made so he took them back.

Message 8 of 15 (3,339 Views)
First Son
2 posts

Mar 10, 2014

Another brazilian with the same issue here...

It's been about one and a half year since i bought it, and just noticed the cracks. The brackets are not broken yet, but it's a matter of time. The headset have endured only mild to almost no use in all this time, and there they are, those **bleep** cracks.

Tried without success know if a repair was even possible, but SonyBR refuses to give support on imported itens.

Does this means it's broken for good?
Sony you've been better than that.

Seems like we're all left stranded.

I'm really disappointed.

Message 9 of 15 (2,321 Views)
First Son
1 posts

Apr 23, 2014

I have had my brother drop the head phones once and it managed to snap as shown in the image. I only bought these headphones in December last year and know am having to tolearte with sellotape bracing which doesn't feel to comfortable around the ears.

I bought the set from Pakistan for £100 and now don't think I have any sort of warranty on them. Does anyone know if there is such a repair for the casing and where it can be repaired from?2014-03-30 14.02.05.jpg

Message 10 of 15 (1,972 Views)
0 Likes