Splicer
58 posts

Re: Controller Usage for PS Now compatible Smart TVs & Blu-ray Disc Players

Jan 18, 2016
Yes, it has to do with the Smart Hub update from Samsung. I have 3 Samsung JU model tvs. After the first one updated, the issue started. The other 2 TVs worked fine until they received the update, then they also had the same controller issue.

PLEASE CALL SAMSUNG AND MAKE THEM AWARE

Ive reported it to Samsung customer service, but they basically told me that since no one else has reported it, it doesn't exist. Make them aware!
Message 41 of 103 (3,828 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
5 posts

Jan 18, 2016

Thank you, yg80.  I have contacted samsung and I'm waiting on a reply.  Others pleast contact them as well.

Message 42 of 103 (3,813 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
5 posts

Jan 18, 2016

I just went through the Samsung help chat and after finally getting the service agent to realize what the problem was, he basically said you cannot go "backwards" with software updates, they have no idea when the next update is, or if that update will fix the problem.  He said he would relay the problem to someone and "thanks, have a nice day."

So as YG80 stated, they have no clue.  Very frustrating to be paying for a subscription I cannot use.

Message 43 of 103 (3,800 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
5 posts

Jan 20, 2016

Another update from my battle with my friends at Samsung.  Copy/Paste from a portion of an email response I got from them:

Samsung designs the products under the supervision of the professional engineers. However, there are no reported issues with the firmware upgrade. Please follow the troubleshooting steps below to isolate the issue:

Email goes on to tell me to reboot the TV, etc.  So as I mentioned previously, Samsung has no idea this is an issue.

Message 44 of 103 (3,768 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
58 posts

Jan 20, 2016
You would do better to call them directly and actually speak to someone to report the issue. The people I spoke to were very competent, but ultimately could only pass it on to the devs. Once the devs replied to me by email, they also said since there are no reports, it basically doesn't exist. Pretty **bleep** frustrating, but calling them will help to make them more aware.
Message 45 of 103 (3,757 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
5 posts

Jan 21, 2016

Strangest thing- I went last night to do the reboots and resets on my TV as Samsung suggested.  I tried the controllers before that and they worked.  I checked the software update and it;s still the same version of 1440, so nothing new there.  So I'm not sure what heppened, but they work.

Thanks to those on htere for helping me sort through this.

Message 46 of 103 (3,745 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
58 posts

Jan 21, 2016
Yes, rebooting the tv will temporarily fix the controller issue, however after a period of time, the bug comes back and the controllers will only glow white until another reboot is done.
Message 47 of 103 (3,735 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
3 posts

Feb 12, 2016

If anyone is still looking for a way to remedy the situation with DS4 controllers and smart tvs. What i found that worked for me was after pairing shut everything off, take the batterries out of the tv remote, turn the tv on manually & after the tv is refreshed and ready (batteries still out of tv remote) and there is no other signal to the tv turn the controller on. It should connect automatically and glow with a satisfying blue sense of accomplishment! Hope this helps, i know i spent many aggravating hours on the topic. Oh and feel free to pop those batteries back in the remote, it seems to remedy the problem temporarily. You are now able to turn the controller on and off as you please, but when the tv is turned off sometimes the steps above have to be repeated. Enjoy!

Message 48 of 103 (3,597 Views)
Splicer
58 posts

Feb 12, 2016
@likeDoughnut Thanks alot for the advise, but I just feel like if it still does it from time to time, then it isnt fixed and still something Sony needs to patch.

We shouldn't have to jump through hoops just to get the controller to work.
Message 49 of 103 (3,592 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
3 posts

Feb 13, 2016

Yeah not a problem, temporary fix until they release an update that gets rid of the problem. Seems to be when the tv is shut off so are the signals, so when u go to turn it on again the tv remote links first. Maybe try having the DS4 controller active when the tv is powered on, if i find a better solution ill be sure to update.

Message 50 of 103 (3,737 Views)