Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Aug 14 2010
By: ptblontharocks First Son 1 posts

wi fi issues

4 replies 80 views Edited Aug 14, 2010

I have the 250 GB PS3 and it connects to my wifi pretty good but when I try to stream netflix and hulu it gets patchy and pauses alot and I cant tell if its just my internet connection or if I need some kind of wifi adapter or something that will help my PS3 reach better to my wifi on my computer. I have a Wii upstairs that I use for the same thing and it works just fine and rarely ever has those kind of issues so does anyone know if I should buy some kind of wifi adapter or if its just my internet connection itself or the server for those sites?

Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 5 (80 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
297 posts

Re: wi fi issues

Aug 14, 2010

When streaming video on the PS3 you are more likely to be streaming it in HD. The bitrate is a lot higher, and since you are in wifi, it may take longer to buffer and may have to buffer intervention at times because of the bandwith. Wi Fi is not the best option for HD streaming. You might want to look into have it wired, it is Gigbit Ethernet and you won't be having that problem.

Founder, CEO, Networking Engineer All Media Needs Click Here!
Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 5 (80 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1153 posts

Aug 14, 2010

What is your signal strength when it starts getting patchy? To diagnose it better, you might want to do what locoandy said and try using an ethernet cable to connect to your router and see if it still lags. If it still does then it is probably your internet speed being too low or your router is out of date. Could you please do a speedtest on your computer and on your PS3 when connected via wifi. Also if possible do a speedtest when connected via ethernet on the PS3.

Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 5 (80 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
3 posts

Aug 15, 2010

Yeah I had to cancel Netflix a while back because the PS3 wifi adaptor just could not perform no matter what I did. The shortcoming of the wifi adaptor is well known, and I've yet to find a fix for it.

My setup:

~20 Mbps internet connection

Netgear Wireless N router

WPA encryption

All other wireless devices in my home get 20 Mbps on various speed test sites (PC w/Windows 7, PC w/Windows XP,  Netbook w/Windows XP).

This is the third wireless router I've had in the two years I've owned this PS3.

I've never gotten higher than 2 Mbps - and it's rare to get that speed even.

Conclusion: The PS3 wifi adaptor is flawed.

Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 5 (80 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1153 posts

Aug 15, 2010

jobber72 wrote:

Yeah I had to cancel Netflix a while back because the PS3 wifi adaptor just could not perform no matter what I did. The shortcoming of the wifi adaptor is well known, and I've yet to find a fix for it.

My setup:

~20 Mbps internet connection

Netgear Wireless N router

WPA encryption

All other wireless devices in my home get 20 Mbps on various speed test sites (PC w/Windows 7, PC w/Windows XP,  Netbook w/Windows XP).

This is the third wireless router I've had in the two years I've owned this PS3.

I've never gotten higher than 2 Mbps - and it's rare to get that speed even.

Conclusion: The PS3 wifi adaptor is flawed.

yea wifi on it isn't that great. I get lower speeds using, the built in speed estimate than when i connect it via ethernet cable. 

Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 5 (80 Views)
0 Likes