Nov 23 2009
By: riko540 Hekseville Citizen 357 posts

Sony's "study" of paid subscription discussion

30 replies 14 views Edited Nov 23, 2009

First off if you haven't heard anything about it check this out:

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6240938.html?om_act=convert&om_clk=topstory&tag=topstory;title

So has Sony decided to add a premium level to the PSN (which you would have to pay for), what features, options, and anything else you can think of to be added to this level that you would be willing to pay a monthly fee (or yearly) for?  How much would you be willing to pay?  Now keep in mind they aren't forcing you to pay for this level.  All of the current features are still going to be free including the ability to play online.

I'll start by saying if they are going to offer such a level I probably wouldn't buy it lol.  Although if they threw in the premium themes and made some of the PSN games free meaning if you purchased the subscription they would be free to download I might consider it.

Discuss.

Message Edited by riko540 on 11-22-2009 07:59 PM
Please use plain text.
Message 23 of 31 (14 Views)
Keyblade Wielder
9918 posts

Re: Sony's "study" of paid subscription discussion

Nov 20, 2009
I'd get it even if was above the price of the other console.
Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 31 (14 Views)
Lombax Warrior
207 posts

Nov 20, 2009
A longer Ban list Live Moderators like the 360 has! IN GAME MUSIC IF I HAVE TO PAY I DON'T CARE!..Better then those annoying kids/Teens in games that are not for there age!..ARE YOU LISTENING ERIC LEMPEL!
Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 31 (14 Views)
Sackboy
507 posts

Nov 20, 2009

NOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!

ah what do i care? as long as it is a reasonable price i will gladly pay for it. 

hopefully it will be less than the M$ subscription

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Free Image Hosting by FreeImageHosting.net
Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 31 (14 Views)
PlayStation MVP
1232 posts

Nov 21, 2009

Honestly, I would probably get it no matter what 'extras' they offered.  If you think about it, $50 per year isn't that much for most people that have a PS3 and high speed Internet.  Many people that have the former also have expensive HDTVs as well. 

The thing I'm wondering is this:  Given Sony is publically traded, they should have an army of accountants (being one myself) and financial gurus that can come up with a complete statistical analysis of the pros and cons of charging for a membership.  I would love to see the data they have collected and their logic.  I would bet the difference would hinge on the amount of "good will" (per say) they generate from not charging a annual membership fee. 

Think of it like this, if you owned 50% of SNE stock would you want to offer a premium membership?  I would think the answer is "Yes."  

I find stuff like this and it's analysis interesting. :smileyvery-happy:

BF3 Stats
Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 31 (14 Views)
Lombax Warrior
206 posts

Nov 21, 2009
I would pay gladly sign up and pay.  If i am complaining about paying around 50-75 a year for a psn subcription, then it would have been a stupid thing for me to even get a 699 launch ps3 in the first place.  Just cut a coffee and/or a burger per month and you will have the money for it. 
"im so good, i get trophies in demos"
Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 31 (14 Views)
Hekseville Citizen
377 posts

Nov 21, 2009
i'd probably look into it if it's competitive with the other consoles price or about 10 bucks more.  but it would have to offer alot more for me to make such a jump.  money is tight these days and i don't make enough to throw extra cash around for this kinda stuff. 
Please use plain text.
Message 6 of 31 (14 Views)
Lombax Warrior
166 posts

Nov 21, 2009

"Especially in the online area, we are studying the possibility of introducing a subscription model, offering premium content and services, in addition to the current free services."

From my reading, I guessing that the current free services -up to date such as free online - will be included to the premium content and services, but will remain as free services for free user as well. There nothing to complain about as long it free online for PSN users.

The statement could change later on or I could have misinterpreted the statement.

Please use plain text.
Message 7 of 31 (14 Views)
Monster Hunter
41 posts

Nov 21, 2009
I read the article and maybe I am reading more into it then I should. I believe they will keep a free service. That being said if this comes to be I have a feeling that the free service will see a drastic rise in conection problems. All I know is I already have a 12 month sub and that will be the ONLY sub I have. Thank's to the OP for the head's up. When they start this I will be getting all my DLC from the competitor until I am proven to be the conspiracy nut that I am.
Please use plain text.
Message 8 of 31 (14 Views)
Uncharted Territory
1768 posts

Nov 21, 2009
i would pay i dont care but as long as it does everything the other console does and some other features.
Please use plain text.
Message 9 of 31 (14 Views)