Treasure Hunter
5406 posts

Re: Sony could be held liable?

Aug 10, 2010

I understand what the OP is saying, but your account password is required for any account changes.

Use the Forgot Password link under Account Management and get your password sent to you.  If you are worried about someone stealing your PS3 and racking up charges simply turn off automatic funding and turn on the option to require a password at checkout.  Also, as others have said, if someone gets access to your PS3 they won't be able to get your actual card number (since it shows as a series of X's).

Message 11 of 18 (129 Views)
0 Likes
Monster Hunter
40 posts

Aug 10, 2010
LISTEN TO ME, LIKE I HAVE SAID BEFORE: If your account is stolen, THEY ALREADY HAVE THE PASSWORD, so requiring a password on checkout doesn't help. It is also STORED ON THE PS3, and they can spend unlimited amounts of money in the PlayStation Store.

And I can't get my password back, because it's the same as my email!

AND THEY WONT **bleep**ING LET ME GET MY INFORMATION OFF THE DAMN PLAYSTATION, WHICH IS BS!
Message 12 of 18 (129 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
2531 posts

Aug 10, 2010

you can change some of the options (changing the password, requiring a password to check out) online. Are you saying you don't have access to your email online?

Message 13 of 18 (129 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
9201 posts

Aug 11, 2010

SRBuckey5266 wrote:
LISTEN TO ME, LIKE I HAVE SAID BEFORE: If your account is stolen, THEY ALREADY HAVE THE PASSWORD, so requiring a password on checkout doesn't help. It is also STORED ON THE PS3, and they can spend unlimited amounts of money in the PlayStation Store.

And I can't get my password back, because it's the same as my email!

AND THEY WONT **bleep**ING LET ME GET MY INFORMATION OFF THE DAMN PLAYSTATION, WHICH IS BS!

Your password is the same as your email?  Sorry to be so blunt, but how stupid is that?

First of all, the smart thing to do is to use an email address that you use for NO other purpose as your login email (there are plenty of ways to go about getting a free email address.  Gmail and Hotmail immediately come to mind.)  Next, your password should be something that only means something to you, or preferably, means nothing at all.  Your password should be at least eight characters long and include a mixture of capital and lowercase letters and numbers.  Most secure sites and services (including Sony) even allow you to use certain special characters such as asterisks* and under_scores.

Finally, once you have your email address and password secured, share that information with absolutely NOONE.  Write it down if you have to, but keep it in a safe place such as a notebook in a desk drawer or in a pocket of your wallet.

IF you suspect for any reason that someone may have stolen your account, or you don't feel safe for any other reason, don't hesitate to change your password or even the email address you use to log in.  In fact, its also a good idea to change your password every couple of weeks or so.

Rule number one for establishing a password: Never, ever use your email address AS your password.  That is simply begging for trouble.

Message 14 of 18 (129 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
2070 posts

Aug 11, 2010

If you use a password that's easy for anyone to get then that's your fault. I have the same passwords that I use on different sites (not all of them are the same) and there chosen by something that no one would suspect or guess (some are even misspelled on purpose).

Message 15 of 18 (129 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1153 posts

Aug 11, 2010

don't blame Sony for your stupidity. I mean come on? The same as your email lol. 

Message 16 of 18 (129 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1038 posts

Aug 11, 2010

I can't believe no one understood this yet.  This is just saying they won't sell your information to marketing companies so you get spam.  If you get hacked, that's all on you.

Message 17 of 18 (129 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1153 posts

Aug 11, 2010

I understand completely. What you are saying is Sony's policy says they will not share any info with any one other than blah blah blah. So if you get "hacked" then is it Sony's fault since they said they wouldn't share any info with any one other than blah blah blah. I get it. My question is how did you get hacked in the first place? You never told us that. Is it Sony's fault that you failed to protect your password better? If i make my password 123 and i get hacked and sue Sony, do you really think that the jury is going to agree with you? If i lose my credit card in the street is it my fault that somebody gets my information or is it my bank's? If i post my credit card number somewhere on the internet, who's fault is it? Mine for being stupid or my bank for not "protecting" me against that. If what you're saying is really true about Sony not letting you delete the info then that really sucks. But hey it's like I say the best offense is a good defense. Now you know not to make your PSN password the same as the email connected to it. 

Message 18 of 18 (129 Views)
0 Likes