Fender Bender
3590 posts

Re: PSN cards a giant ripoff in Canada now...

Jul 4, 2010

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo MF i was going to get a $50 today, to bad american PSN cards won't work here. At least there's no tax in washington.

Please use plain text.
Message 21 of 34 (106 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1419 posts

Jul 4, 2010

Nemesishunter420 wrote:

This new tax effects alot of things that didn't have a tax applied before. It wouldn't surprise me that this has happened to gift cards/psn cards ect.

Just another way for the government to rape us of more of our hard earned money. Like they don't already get 3 months out a year of my pay in taxes. BS

You should not be paying tax, any tax, on a gift card - period. In essence, you are giving Sony or anyone other company cash to hold on to such a time as you purchase it. PST, GST, HST (in BC and Quebec) should not be applied to it. I have never paid tax on any gift card in Canada. Granted, I have not purchased a PSN card since the HST came in to effect in BC, so I'm looking forward to trying. If there is a tax, I'll be sure to contact the Tax Department and seek clarification on this. Not to mention send a note to CKNW 980.

Oh, if the HST is supposed to be applied to gift cards then why not to gas cards. I just purchased 40.00 in gift certificates from Chevron for a friend. And the bill was 40.00 even. No tax. That is the way it should be.

Please use plain text.
Message 22 of 34 (106 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
636 posts

Jul 4, 2010
i payed taxes in best buy
and payed no taxes in wal mart -__-

i said i wasnt suppose to pay taxe but i was told : it is in the system, i scanned it and i cant do anything about.

Please use plain text.
Message 23 of 34 (106 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
24 posts

Jul 4, 2010

Yeah I know how you feel, I got some PSN cards the other day and found out about the taxes on it. I was so mad, paying tax twice is crazy and unfair. Also until I am able to get a credit card I will have to deal with all this.

The damn tax dollars better go to something useful.But my friend in the US said you wont think about the extra tax, when you cut off your arm, and the doctors put in back on for free.

Please use plain text.
Message 24 of 34 (106 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1419 posts

Jul 4, 2010

PSjoh wrote:
i payed taxes in best buy
and payed no taxes in wal mart -__-

i said i wasnt suppose to pay taxe but i was told : it is in the system, i scanned it and i cant do anything about.

I think it's a problem at Best Buy with their system. I have purchased a Subway Gift Card and Safeway Gift Card from a local Safeway - no tax. A PSN card from Best Buy, they wanted the tax. I refused to pay the tax and walked out of the store. There is no way I am going to pay tax on tax.

EDIT: Sunday, July 4th.

OK, here is the official link regarding the GST and HST on Gift Certificates from the Canadian Revenue Agency.

http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/tx/bsnss/tpcs/gst-tps/gnrl/txbl/cpns/gft-eng.html

It clearly states that you do NOT pay GST and HST on the sale of a gift card. To the OP, I would copy this web page and take it to the store where you purchased your good cards and demand the money from the tax you paid back. They are in violation of Canadian tax law. If they refuse, you can file a complain against the company on the Canada Revenue Site not to mention the Better Business Burearu.

Please use plain text.
Message 25 of 34 (106 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
1 posts

Jul 4, 2010

I was talking to a guy at Game Stop Canada (also electronics boutique)  and they are not charging taxes on the playstation network cards.  They will continue to charge dollar for dollar.

Please use plain text.
Message 26 of 34 (106 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
863 posts

Jul 4, 2010
i was gonna get one this week~
Please use plain text.
Message 27 of 34 (106 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
4 posts

Jul 4, 2010

say hi to UK rgamers whenever you think you got ripped off

Please use plain text.
Message 28 of 34 (106 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
1 posts

Jul 5, 2010

they're charging tax on gift cards? 

that's illegal you know, or as far as i'm concerned: here in the US, they can't do that

Please use plain text.
Message 29 of 34 (106 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
236 posts

Jul 6, 2010

Hi fellow Canadian.

Just thought I'd let you know the store I buy by cards from DOESN'T TAX ME UPON PURCHASE!!! Or infact do tax me, but put the base price cheeper so the tax totals exactly the amount on the card. Therefore I'm only really taxed during purchases on the store.

Just thought I'd put my expirence with the cards before anyone tries to believe this guy.

Also, lastly I just wanted to say that your really wasting your time reading this since it's my sig
Please use plain text.
Message 30 of 34 (106 Views)
0 Likes