Highlighted
Jul 02 2010
By: Thorne Lombax Warrior 180 posts

PSN cards a giant ripoff in Canada now...

33 replies 2310 views Edited Jul 2, 2010

...unless, of course, you like getting taxed for the same dollar twice.

Got paid today and went to Future Shop to pick up a $50 and $20 card for the Store...

When I went to the cash, today - after the dreaded HST went into effect yesterday - , I had to pay taxes on the cards. The $50 one alone came to $56.50 at the register.

"I better not be taxed for my purchase through the PSN, then", I thought to myself.

I was.

Bought the Playstation Plus membership and got hit for another $6.50 at the checkout.

Paid $6.50 in taxes twice...  for the same $50.

Not gonna make that mistake again.

I loved having these cards up here so I wouldn't have to put my credit card on file but damned if I'll ever get taxed twice for the same purchase again.

Canadians....  DO NOT BUY THESE CARDS ANYMORE.

Unless, of course...  well, see my first sentence above.

Message 1 of 34 (2,310 Views)
Lombax Warrior
243 posts

Re: PSN cards a giant ripoff in Canada now...

Jul 2, 2010

**bleep**! Luckily I got my cards for PS+ a week ago. This is BS. Damn Harper and his HST, it ain't helping anything. That shouldn't be legal...paying 2x the tax? I assume that all other cards will have tax too...(iTunes, Gift Cards, etc.) THAT IS SO DUMB.

Message 2 of 34 (2,310 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
112 posts

Jul 2, 2010

Thanks for the headsup! I will be sure not to buy a psn card, someone should bring this to sony's attention

Message 3 of 34 (2,310 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
323 posts

Jul 2, 2010

wow man wish i could tell u i feel ur pain  glad my taxes arnt that high and dont get charged taxes for psn cards

Message 4 of 34 (2,310 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1972 posts

Jul 2, 2010

What is up with that? I live in the US and don't get charged tax for either one of those! Thats total BS that you guys get taxed, the prices should be the same.

Message 5 of 34 (2,310 Views)
First Son
10 posts

Jul 2, 2010

Dude what future shop did was illegal, you are not supposed to be charged tax on any gift cards in any shape or form. You are taxed on psn because that is the real transaction, buying the psn card is just changing paper/plastic currency into digital currency. And what province do you live in? Because ive bought cards in Alberta and Saskatchewan without having to pay taxes on them.

Message 6 of 34 (2,310 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1601 posts

Jul 2, 2010

werbo wrote:

Dude what future shop did was illegal, you are not supposed to be charged tax on any gift cards in any shape or form. You are taxed on psn because that is the real transaction, buying the psn card is just changing paper/plastic currency into digital currency. And what province do you live in? Because ive bought cards in Alberta and Saskatchewan without having to pay taxes on them.

This..

Try checking out other shops

When I buy a gift cards and they ask for tax; I say "you cannot ask for tax for gift cards, that's illegal"

The only tax your going to pay should be in the PSN store (but for some reason PSN didn't tax me o_O CA)

JOB: Electronic Arts QA Tester

Message 7 of 34 (2,310 Views)
0 Likes
Survivor
2787 posts

Jul 3, 2010

Well in some states here in the US its the same...yeah its messed up, they need to see where the problem is coming from, is it Sony's side or the governments?

Edit: Here in RI and Massachusetts, there's no tax at the store or at the PlayStation Store

Message 8 of 34 (2,310 Views)
0 Likes
Keyblade Wielder
9679 posts

Jul 3, 2010

Wow, that;s not very fair.

Poor canadians.

Message 9 of 34 (2,310 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
704 posts

Jul 3, 2010

This new tax effects alot of things that didn't have a tax applied before. It wouldn't surprise me that this has happened to gift cards/psn cards ect.

Just another way for the government to rape us of more of our hard earned money. Like they don't already get 3 months out a year of my pay in taxes. BS

INFORM YOURSELF
Watch:
Secret Space
Zeitgeist Final Edition
The Obama Deception
Network
Run From the Cure
Invisible Empire
Police State 5
Message 10 of 34 (2,310 Views)
0 Likes