Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Oct 07 2009
By: pizzle4shizzle First Son 3 posts

PS3 LinkSys befw11s4 wireless problems

5 replies 302 views Edited Oct 7, 2009

To start, I've read a bunch of posts on this and other websites regarding this issue and none of them have solved my issue...

I just got a PS3 120gb.  My home internet connection is cable/wifi through an older linksys befw11s4 router.  When I first tried to connect the ps3 to the network, I got message: "access point not detected".  This was both on 'easy' scanning for SSID and custom entering all network settings.  Researched online and saw that maybe upgrading router firmware would help.  So i upgraded firmware, switched WLAN security to WPA-TKIP, turned network equip. off, turned back on and nothing changed.  In fact, had problems connecting both home laptops to the network for a while.  Tried power cycling network equip again and laptops connected to internet fine.  Tried connecting ps3 to the wireless again and same message: "access point not detected", again both on easy and custom setups.  Gave up and went to bed.  The next day, turned ps3 on and tried again, on easy, scanned for SSID and it found mine (signal strength 87%) and a couple of my neighbors'.  Tried connecting (fed it correct WPA-TKIP passkey) and got a message: 'WPA passkey communication timed out, verify passkey is correct'.  I verified several times that the passkey was correct, no change.  Laptops connect fine with same passkey.  Gave up and went to bed.  Today I thought I'd give this another shot... tried getting to where I was yesterday, with ps3 finding my SSID, but today I'm back to same old message: 'access point not detected'!  Anybody dealt with this exact ps3/linksys router issue before????  Before you reply, I'll just say this: I am not interested in removing the security constraints from my home network, so if thats your suggestion, don't bother.  Otherwise, thanks in advance for any and all advice.

Brian

Message 1 of 6 (302 Views)
0 Likes
Keyblade Wielder
10862 posts

Re: PS3 LinkSys befw11s4 wireless problems

Oct 7, 2009

If your other devices are picking up your Router with no problems??

Then I would suggest that your PS3 might be the problem?

How far is the router from the PS3? Can you run a Ethernet cable?

Photobucket

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Message 2 of 6 (302 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
3 posts

Oct 7, 2009

The ps3 is too far away from the modem/router to run ethernet.  However, I was able to connect the ps3 to the internet by connecting an ethernet to one of the laptops and sharing the laptop's wifi connection, so I know the thing can connect to the internet.  The shared connection was slow, though, and the ps3 was constantly 'verifying connection with host' during online gameplay, so I'd like to figure out a better connection.  Also, as I said, the ps3 has (one time only) detected SSID's of available networks, so it seems like there isnt a problem with the ps3.  It seems like the problem is somewhere in the router settings.  I read that sometimes the ps3 doesn't like the way some routers broadcast SSID, so I disabled the broadcast feature on the router and tried entering the SSID manually in the ps3, still got 'access point not detected'.  I'm considering buying a length of ethernet and running through the wall and under the house to the entertainment area, but I'd like to exhaust all wifi options first....

Message 3 of 6 (302 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
163 posts

Oct 7, 2009

Not all wireless router are compatible with every wireless NIC.  It could be that the unit you have has issues with the NIC found in the PS3 which will explain why it sometimes sees it and it doesn't.  In my line of work I see this a lot and have had to make a lot of adjustments to the network and wireless units we have at my company.  You could get a new unit say one of the newer Linksys, Netgear, or D-link units.  Again the newer units will most likely work with the PS3 but it might have problems with older wireless laptops.  Again this all depends on the NIC used in the system.  For example the D-Link D-615 has issues with the older Intel 915 motherboards with the built in wireless.  It only effects that one single NIC used by Intel at that time.  Anyway, your better off with a newer wireless router. 

Message 4 of 6 (302 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
3 posts

Oct 7, 2009

Okay.  I'm going to try a few more things to see if I can resolve this without having to get a new router.  Thanks for the input, guys.

Message 5 of 6 (302 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
1 posts

Aug 12, 2010

Hey, I just got a new ps3 this week and have been trying to access my wireless connection ever since. I have the same linksys router as you, am able to connect if I turn of security settings, and the wpa password works fine for my laptop. When I put password in ps3 all I can get is timeout can't recognize pass key message.   Have you found a solution to this yet?? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Message 6 of 6 (302 Views)
0 Likes