Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Aug 31 2009
By: baumanator First Son 3 posts

Obtaining ip address/DNS frustrations

6 replies 17 views Edited Aug 31, 2009

Hi. So I have had a playstation since 2007. So far so good with no problems. until recently. Late last week it stopped being able to log onto the internet. If I go to the browser, I get error code 80130182 and it says I can not obtain an ip address. Now I live in apartments at a university, but for the last 2 years there have been zero problems connecting online to the university network.

I have been researching stuff on google, and tried a few things. For error 80130182, the recommendation is resetting the router. Well, all I have ever done is connect the ethernet cord into the wall, so I have no ability to reset the router. 

I also tried a static IP, and a few different combinations of DNS numbers that I have heard work in the past (208.67.222.222, etc.), and when that happens, the IP is obtained fine, but I still have a DNS connection issue (error 80710102). So no luck.

I have tried both wired and wireless, and the same problem persists. The weird thing is there are a few of my friends around me who plug into the wall and their PS3s connect to the university network fine.

This all raises a few questions:

First of all, how do I solve this issue?

Second, why is it working for my friends?

Third, could I just do a full system restore? Would that help this at all?

Any help that people can give would be appreciated, cause this is getting really annoying. Everything says that it is a network issue, and not a playstation issue, but then that makes me wonder why my friends playstations are still all logging onto the network fine. 

Thanks. 

Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 7 (17 Views)
0 Likes
Survivor
2886 posts

Re: Obtaining ip address/DNS frustrations

Aug 31, 2009
Contact your campus IT and see if you need to register the MAC. They're not letting your system obtain an IP lease for some reason.
Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 7 (17 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
3 posts

Sep 1, 2009

Unfortunately, I have already looked into that, and at this moment they said that they don't need the MAC addresses. It is open for the time being, so it should easily connect.

Just weird that my friends are on too...

Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 7 (17 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
11 posts

Sep 1, 2009
Try taking a look at your friends settings, write down the dns and enter it manually.
Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 7 (17 Views)
0 Likes
Survivor
2886 posts

Sep 1, 2009
If you can get your hands on a spare router. Try powering it on with no connections and then plug the PS3 in. If the PS3 obtains an IP, it's an issue with the school. If it doesn't, then it's your PS3. That's the easiest test to do to isolate the issue.
Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 7 (17 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1048 posts

Sep 1, 2009

baumanator wrote:

Hi. So I have had a playstation since 2007. So far so good with no problems. until recently. Late last week it stopped being able to log onto the internet. If I go to the browser, I get error code 80130182 and it says I can not obtain an ip address. Now I live in apartments at a university, but for the last 2 years there have been zero problems connecting online to the university network.

I have been researching stuff on google, and tried a few things. For error 80130182, the recommendation is resetting the router. Well, all I have ever done is connect the ethernet cord into the wall, so I have no ability to reset the router. 

I also tried a static IP, and a few different combinations of DNS numbers that I have heard work in the past (208.67.222.222, etc.), and when that happens, the IP is obtained fine, but I still have a DNS connection issue (error 80710102). So no luck.

I have tried both wired and wireless, and the same problem persists. The weird thing is there are a few of my friends around me who plug into the wall and their PS3s connect to the university network fine.

Any help that people can give would be appreciated, cause this is getting really annoying. Everything says that it is a network issue, and not a playstation issue, but then that makes me wonder why my friends playstations are still all logging onto the network fine. 

Thanks. 

http://www.wikihow.com/Find-the-MAC-Address-of-Your-Computer
Please use plain text.
Message 6 of 7 (17 Views)
Survivor
2886 posts

Sep 1, 2009

Choochie69 wrote:

baumanator wrote:

Thanks. 

http://www.wikihow.com/Find-the-MAC-Address-of-Your-Computer

How does this even begin to help him?

Please use plain text.
Message 7 of 7 (17 Views)
0 Likes