Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Sep 25 2007
By: Premier79~ First Son 6 posts

Internet connection help 60gb PS3 wired connection

4 replies 5 views Edited Sep 25, 2007
Hey guys need help setting up the internet connection to my 60gb PS3.  I tried connecting it with a wired connection.  Ran the ethernet cable line from the modem straight to PS3.  These are my settings.  When it test the connection i receive a "Attempt to obtain IP Address has timed out" Error message.  Any suggestions?  Thanks

Connection method > Wired Connection
Address settings > Easy
IP Address Setting > Automatic
Set DHCP > Do Not Set
DNS Setting > Automatic
MTU > Automatic
Proxy Server > Do Not Use
UpnP > Disable

Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 5 (5 Views)
0 Likes
Survivor
2617 posts

Re: Internet connection help 60gb PS3 wired connection

Sep 25, 2007
if your gonna run it straight from your modem instead of via a router
you may have to call your ISP to get an IP address and then manually
enter it into your PS3.
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
PSN ID:Wrangler06 (DFA WarHawk Team Leader) **The DFA WarHawk clan wants you!!**
*Click the link and check us out, or send me a PM if you're interested.*
You Should be Folding@Home Team # 55265
"A man is a god in ruins."-RWE
Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 5 (5 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
822 posts

Sep 25, 2007
first of all you need to run the ethernet cable through your router and not the modem

second of all check and see what security the router is using ie none WSK or WEP the PS3 only works with WEP

and you need to find out what the ip adress of the router is default gateway, primary DNS and secondary DNS

Photobucket
Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 5 (5 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
6 posts

Dec 18, 2007
Is it possible to connect directly from the cable modem to the ps3, instead of using a r outer?
Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 5 (5 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
72 posts

Dec 18, 2007
Depending on your ISP you may or may not have to call them to get a new IP address. First, turn off the PS3 and the modem. Then turn the modem on, and then turn on the PS3 and try connecting. If it still says you cant get an IP address, then you might need to call them.

2nd, you do not have to run it through a router if you dont want to. It's usually easier to do it this way though since then you can leave your PC connected and use the PS3 at the same time. If you dont mind having to keep unplugging the modem (and possibly turning it on and off every time you switch between the PS3 and PC) then you don't need a router.

If you do get a router, the PS3 will work with WEP, WPA and WPA2 security. Although it has some issues with certain routers it seems. However, WEP, WPA and WPA2 only apply if you are going to connect wirelessly. If you are going to run an ethernet cable from the router to the PS3, you can ignore anything dealing with WEP/WPA/WPA2.

So it's up to you. You can connect directly to the modem if you want to. Using a router usually is more convienent but it's not required. And you may have to contact your ISP about the IP settings if powering off and on the modem doesn't resolve it.

Message Edited by merkk on 12-18-2007 02:23 PM
Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 5 (5 Views)
0 Likes