Jan 23 2010
By: ElmerF1 First Son 15 posts

How to change the NAT Type on Internet Connection?

6 replies 29594 views Edited Jan 23, 2010
Does anybody know how to change the NAT Type from the Internet Connection in Network Settings on the PS3? My friend's PS3 has a NAT Type 3 (Strict) and is having problems playing Modern Warfare 2 with friends. Mine's on Type 2 and I doesn't have any problems. How can he change it from Type 3 to Type 2?
Message 1 of 7 (29,594 Views)
Wastelander
838 posts

Re: How to change the NAT Type on Internet Connection?

Jan 23, 2010

Depends largely on the router's handling of UPnP.  If you have control over the router, enable it. Disable Port Forwarding at the router as UPnP will open the correct gaming ports.

Good Luck

Message 2 of 7 (29,594 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5251 posts

Jan 23, 2010
Message 3 of 7 (29,594 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
2070 posts

Jan 23, 2010

Ray186 wrote:
Here you go:

http://adamcook.wordpress.com/2008/04/04/how-to-get-flawless-online-gaming-with-your-ps3/

Sometimes this doesn't work for some of us. I had to use some slightly different methods in the end starting with setting the IP's modem to a bridged connection and then set the IP pool in the router settings to something different from the default IP pool and I set the PS3 IP far enough outside this pool that there's no way a IP conflict with the PS3 can happen.
Message 4 of 7 (29,594 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
9353 posts

Jan 23, 2010

jmm49 wrote:

Ray186 wrote:
Here you go:

http://adamcook.wordpress.com/2008/04/04/how-to-get-flawless-online-gaming-with-your-ps3/

Sometimes this doesn't work for some of us. I had to use some slightly different methods in the end starting with setting the IP's modem to a bridged connection and then set the IP pool in the router settings to something different from the default IP pool and I set the PS3 IP far enough outside this pool that there's no way a IP conflict with the PS3 can happen.

what do you mean exactly?

maybe im just reading what you typed, incorrectly

Yo dawg I heard you liked quantum mechanics so I didn't do anything, and I did something at the same time.
Message 5 of 7 (29,594 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
2070 posts

Jan 23, 2010

Neridqe wrote:

jmm49 wrote:

Ray186 wrote:
Here you go:

The modem provided by my IP was set by default as a router and this setting had to be changed to a bridged connection before the router could even get a NAT 2 connection. The reason was that the network was trying to go through two routers which added another layer of security that really isn't needed for home owners.
Message 6 of 7 (29,594 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
838 posts

Jan 25, 2010

jmm49 wrote:

Neridqe wrote:

jmm49 wrote:

Ray186 wrote:
Here you go:

The modem provided by my IP was set by default as a router and this setting had to be changed to a bridged connection before the router could even get a NAT 2 connection. The reason was that the network was trying to go through two routers which added another layer of security that really isn't needed for home owners.

IP= Internet Protocol

ISP- Internet Service Provider

Hence the misunderstanding.

Bridged Ethernet set at the modem allow the store bought router/switch/wifi all in one deal; to manage Home based network.  As you know. 

Message 7 of 7 (29,594 Views)
0 Likes