Dec 07 2008
By: Paradox33 Lombax Warrior 112 posts

How PS3 can reshape the online generation.

5 replies 35 views Edited Dec 7, 2008
Sony is not dumb, I just think they are very lethargic. They are in a good position with free online gaming. They just don't know how to market. Xbox live is so successful because of marketing, intuitive design, ease of use and features. What is Sony waiting for? Why can't they release something that's better than xbox live? I love PS3. I just hate that I can't join friends games, have private chats carried through out everything I do, how MS has exclusive marketplace items etc. I hate the Ps3 design on the XMB. Its not very attractive. Although it is simple, not very attractive. They need to remake the XMB. Add necessary and new features for online gaming and the community, redesign the PS store, expand the video store, add more Ps games or games in general.. Wouldn't it be awesome if/when home launches, when you turn on the PS3, instead of going to the XMB, we go straight into home? SO basically, its like a HOME. I hate how you have to login and connect, load etc. Takes so long which might turn away players. Once we are in home with our character, from there we can press start which goes into some kind of device and THAT acts like the XMB. So you basically have the XMB when you press start and can do the same thing, launch movies, games, settings, messages etc.. I am a Home beta tester, I become very hesitant everytime I have to start it up and login. I think Sony should also bundle headsets with PS3's. I hate playing online and being the only one with a headset. It will increase the social community, especially in Home. I have a 360 and everytime I play online, 95% of the time people have their headsets. MS just has unique features, like when you go on their site, you can see friends online, see your gamer card, add people etc. Little things like this are small but essential.

Something unique Sony could do: I don't know im JUST saying, this is just one idea. Imagine in Home, When you buy a TV. You invite people over to your house. Say you have clips or photos or music on you hard drive. Wouldn't it be awesome if you can sync your TV with your hard drive and play what's on your hard drive, onto the TV? Then the people you invited over can see it from your TV in HOME. They could sit down and watch with you. Imagine Friday movie nights, the only difference, is people are actually not together, only together virtually. And watch something.. Wouldn't that be AWESOME?! Now please don't bombard me with hate comments. I am just speaking my mind. I want Sony to add a new dimension to online gaming, just like they did with their consoles. All they need is the online community covered to have all grounds. Now I am probably forgetting some other things but you guys can also add to this. If you guys have criticism let me know. Let me know if I am wrong or right. Add to this as well. Let Sony read this. Let me see what you guys have in mind Thanks for your time.
Whats Good If there's Excellent?
Message 1 of 6 (35 Views)
Uncharted Territory
2206 posts

Re: How PS3 can reshape the online generation.

Dec 7, 2008
All in due time my friend. Sony have a lot on their plate, but they're definately doing great things (movie store for example). They have alot of other big labels supporting them, and with the free PSN sign-up only greater things await us. Also Sony can change things whenever they feel, via the system updates. I agree 100% with your movie idea too. It'd be great to do that in home.
wottagunn
Message 2 of 6 (35 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
220 posts

Dec 7, 2008

My suggestion as far as the t.v. thing goes: Allow the T.V. to read your media server.

Because i have my computer, PS3, and internet set up on a switch, and i set my computer up to allow my PS3 to detect it as a media server.

I would love if the T.V. in home could detect the media server and play movies, pictures, music, etc. from it. 

Message 3 of 6 (35 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
2345 posts

Dec 7, 2008

you did a great job, kudo'ed

Message 4 of 6 (35 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
314 posts

Dec 7, 2008

i think the problem with your TV idea is that it would set up a free video service in essence, so if it worked out like you said, you could go find whoever and watch their movies for free.  And let's not beat around the bush, if you have movie rips on your comp, they're probably not legit.  And if they are (is there such a thing as a legit backup?), it would probably violate some term in the FBI Warning at the beginning of every movie.  Music might be different, in that it would kind of be like internet radio, which might be ok.  Pictures would be cool tho, i don't see how that wold violate anything.  Now if you had home videos that are your own that you wanted to share, there would still have to be some kind of policing of them like youtube, which would require more people and more money on sony's part, when you could just go use youtube.  Sony is a business, and the bottom line for any business is $$$.  I remember some talk, whether it be from xbox/netflix or psn's video store, where you could watch a movie with  friend over the net, but it would require both of you to buy that movie from the store or both be signed up with netflix. 

As far as Home being at startup, maybe if it was an option, but i can see just as many people being pissed off at having to go through Home just to start a game or whatever.  Also, personally i'm glad no one has a headset, because nothing useful comes out of 95% of peoples mouths, it's just **bleep** talking and hate, or just noise and static.

On the whole tho, even if movie watching was somehow implemented, or any of this stuff, it's all contributing to people not having actual human contact.  It's why i won't even touch the sims or second life or any of this stuff, it's just enabling people to sit alone in front of their TVs and be antisocial and feel ok about it.  You can't beat an actual movie night with actual real life people next to you, and i don't think you should try.  Just my opinion, think what you will.  

Message 5 of 6 (35 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
24 posts

Dec 8, 2008

I think Sony is working hard to catch up and gain the lead in the "console war" and I hope they listen to the community, give people what they want and theyll give you money lol. Small features like bundled headsets, changing psn name without making new acct, better voice chat features, way more stuff in the ps store (like all thsoe good old ps1 games) would make alot of ppl happy. Plus ps store could bring in alot of money if used properly. Heck itd be nutz if the put ps2 games on ps store, especially for ppl without backward compatible ps3s, but that wont happen for at least 8 years ( they barely have ps1 games lol). but anyway, better features for online will push them forward maybe into the lead of the online generation/new generation.

One thing I ALREDY LOVE!!! is that they keep pumping software updates to make ps3 better, its so awesome. Keep the updates coming, ps3 will only get better n better!!!!!!

Message Edited by Pro_Caliber on 12-07-2008 09:27 PM
Message Edited by Pro_Caliber on 12-07-2008 09:27 PM
Games I own: Orange Box, Time Crisis 4, CoD4, CoD WaW, RSV 2, MGS4, Little Big Planet.
Mainly playing online right now: CoD4, Cod WaW, and Little Big Planet.
Looking for friends to add who are not jerks/immature, into the same games I am both online and/or offline, online at least once every week or 2. Pm me if I can add you!
Message 6 of 6 (35 Views)
0 Likes