Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Jul 30 2009
By: Undercovermc First Son 18 posts

Give us the option to deactivate our account from all PS3's

43 replies 12 views Edited Jul 30, 2009

With many PS3's getting the YLOD, many users (including myself) are finding that they're close to using up all 5 available acitivations. Apparently Sony will only deactivate your account from a PS3, if you sent it to them to be repaired. That means, if your warranty is with a particular store, you may not be able to get your account deactivated. I think we should be given the option to deactivate our account from all PS3's either via any PS3 we are logged into or from a website we can log into. It's possible to do this with your iTunes account, so why do we have to call Sony and explain to have it done with the PSN? Surely they could make a secure way of checking that the person trying to deactivate all of the accounts is the original creator of the account (DOB etc.)

Message Edited by Undercovermc on 07-30-2009 09:57 AM
Message 1 of 44 (12 Views)
Gaming Beast
2259 posts

Re: Give us the option to deactivate our account from all PS3's

Jul 30, 2009

Just don't game share. People have no reason to deactivate a PS3 from any PS3. If you actually have 5 PS3's in your house then go to each single system and deactivate them from the settings.

If you do game share, then ask the person you game shared with to deactivate it, but that is the risk of giving out your information of trading games for free.

Message 2 of 44 (12 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
18 posts

Jul 30, 2009
I didn't mention gamesharing anywhere in my post. If your PS3 gets the YLOD, how are you supposed to deactivate the account? You have to call Sony, which is fine if that's who you're calling to replace your PS3. However, if you have warranty with a store, then you don't have to call Sony and should be able to deactivate your own account yourself without going through the trouble of contacting them.
Message Edited by Undercovermc on 07-30-2009 10:04 AM
Message 3 of 44 (12 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
9353 posts

Jul 30, 2009

Undercovermc wrote:
I didn't mention gamesharing anywhere in my post. If your PS3 get the YLOD, how are you supposed to deactivate the account? You have to call Sony, which is fine if that's who you're calling to replace your PS3.

exactly, you call sony and tell them too..

otherwise you dont game share

BAM problem solved win/win for everyone.

Yo dawg I heard you liked quantum mechanics so I didn't do anything, and I did something at the same time.
Message 4 of 44 (12 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
18 posts

Jul 30, 2009
You guys are so anti-gamesharing, that you think everyone should have to spend money to call Sony and explain something that you could easily do on your own if they let you? What a regressive attitude.
Message 5 of 44 (12 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
2259 posts

Jul 30, 2009

Undercovermc wrote:
I didn't mention gamesharing anywhere in my post. If your PS3 gets the YLOD, how are you supposed to deactivate the account? You have to call Sony, which is fine if that's who you're calling to replace your PS3. However, if you have warranty with a store, then you don't have to call Sony and should be able to deactivate your own account yourself without going through the trouble of contacting them.
Message Edited by Undercovermc on 07-30-2009 10:04 AM

Doesn't really matter if you bought a store warrenty, you still have the option to contact Sony. If you get YLOD, Sony is your option if you're afraid off wasting one of five activations.

I can understand if the laser died on your PS3, then yeah, the easiest way would be returning it to the store.

Message 6 of 44 (12 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
18 posts

Jul 30, 2009

SaintMoziz wrote:

Doesn't really matter if you bought a store warrenty, you still have the option to contact Sony. If you get YLOD, Sony is your option if you're afraid off wasting one of five activations.

I can understand if the laser died on your PS3, then yeah, the easiest way would be returning it to the store.

If your one year warranty with Sony has ended, then why would you want to call Sony to pay $150 for a refurbed console, when you can get one for free by taking it the the store you got an extended warranty from? If the laser died on your PS3 (happened to my first PS3), then there is no issue because you can still access the account information and deactivate that one PS3 yourself. In the case of getting the YLOD, it would be very convinient if you could deactivate the account from the previous PS3 yourself. To each his own, I guess.

Message Edited by Undercovermc on 07-30-2009 10:14 AM
Message 7 of 44 (12 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
2259 posts

Jul 30, 2009

Undercovermc wrote:

SaintMoziz wrote:

If your one year warranty with Sony has ended, then why would you want to call Sony to pay $150 for a new console, when you can get one for free by taking it the the store you got an extended warranty from? If the laser died on your PS3 (happened to my first PS3), then there is no issue because you can still access the account information and deactivate that one PS3 yourself.

You rather pay for an extended warranty for a system that has your information than paying Sony to get it fixed or replaced? Depending where you buy the extended warranty (IMO is a way a store rip people off), you're paying about the same amount of money for Sony to fix or replace your system.

Message 8 of 44 (12 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
18 posts

Jul 30, 2009

SaintMoziz wrote:

Undercovermc wrote:

SaintMoziz wrote:

If your one year warranty with Sony has ended, then why would you want to call Sony to pay $150 for a new console, when you can get one for free by taking it the the store you got an extended warranty from? If the laser died on your PS3 (happened to my first PS3), then there is no issue because you can still access the account information and deactivate that one PS3 yourself.

You rather pay for an extended warranty for a system that has your information than paying Sony to get it fixed or replaced? Depending where you buy the extended warranty (IMO is a way a store rip people off), you're paying about the same amount of money for Sony to fix or replace your system.

I live in the UK and three year extended warranty comes to about £60 each year. Alternatively, I could pay Sony £150 each time my PS3 fails. I'll take the former, thanks.

EDIT: I'm on my second PS3, my brother will soon be on his third.

Message Edited by Undercovermc on 07-30-2009 10:24 AM
Message 9 of 44 (12 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3131 posts

Jul 30, 2009
Allright, sure deactivateing the game part of your ps3...but you guys forgot about the other activation, The video activation. I cant activate my new PS3 with video, because only ONE ps3 can be activated with video...Im working on getting my new PS3 activated...haveing some trouble though...
Photobucket
Message 10 of 44 (12 Views)