Highlighted
Sep 01 2009
By: VV_Argost I Only Post Everything 995 posts

Free Avatars...

11 replies 1688 views Edited Sep 1, 2009

seriously who wants to pay just for a new avatar?

We've had these old sets of avatars for so long and to be forced to pay for something different would seem kinda wrong

i mean how many people have that Assassins Creed Avatar Or Those Ape Escape ones?

Message 1 of 12 (1,688 Views)
Hekseville Citizen
301 posts

Re: Free Avatars...

Sep 1, 2009
I don't get why an avatar is so important.  What do you do?  Turn your system on and stare at your friend's avatars all day long?  I personally, will never pay for something as trivial as an avatar or a theme for that matter.  This reminds me of something else that's useless, HOME.
WIN WITH HONOR, LOSE WITH DIGNITY. DON'T CHEAT OR GLITCH.
Message 2 of 12 (1,688 Views)
Sackboy
637 posts

Sep 1, 2009

Avatars make you unique its cool with Xbox because you can take a pic of you AVATAR yo ucreate and make it ur own gamertag!

Sony does need to add more pics!!

Message 3 of 12 (1,688 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
22 posts

Sep 1, 2009

At least Home is free, as lame as it is.

As with any community its at least nice to have an avatar. I think custom avatars with a flag system for innaporpriate images wouldnt be too difficult to pull off. 

I definatly wouldnt pay for any avatars though, seeing the complete garbage ones they have so far. My faves are the two that look like Glade plug-ins.

derp
Message 4 of 12 (1,688 Views)
Hekseville Citizen
316 posts

Sep 1, 2009
Don't quote me on this, but I'm pretty sure they added quite a few new avatars with the 3.0 update. They said they were going to add more free ones as well as the paid ones.
Message Edited by A**bleep**aka96 on 09-01-2009 09:53 AM
Message 5 of 12 (1,688 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
749 posts

Sep 1, 2009
Well the 3.0 update is out now and I didn't see any new ones in the list. I also couldn't find any in the PS store, not that I would pay for something like that anyway. But I went through the avatar list and it's same crappy ones it's always been. I continue to marvel at how horrid 90% of those avatars are, I just don't get it. There are plenty of talanted artist on these forums alone who's avatars eclipse sony's in quality, as has been demonstrated by the huge thread full of sweet avatars.
Message 6 of 12 (1,688 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
643 posts

Sep 1, 2009
yeah it sucks that there arent any new avatars.  whoever designed the original avatars must have thought little kids would be purchasing or playing the system.  i hope they added the ability to have games let you unlock avatars for that game like they do with home content. 
Message 7 of 12 (1,688 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1478 posts

Sep 1, 2009
You'd be suprised how many would buy an avatar. Plenty of people.
Message 8 of 12 (1,688 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
6080 posts

Sep 1, 2009

xX0mnislasherXx wrote:

Sadly lots of people. I don't care how many people will buy an avatar though. We were promised new free and premium avatars, so I hope to see some new free avatars soon.
Message 9 of 12 (1,688 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
8173 posts

Sep 1, 2009

NeonReaver wrote:

xX0mnislasherXx wrote:

Sadly lots of people. I don't care how many people will buy an avatar though. We were promised new free and premium avatars, so I hope to see some new free avatars soon.
What's sad about buying an avatar? The way I see it WE - the PS3 community - have been clamoring for avatars for a very long time. The 3.0 FW added the capability for developers to add avatars and charge for them - or offer them for free. Sony cannot start creating avatars for IPs they don't own without paying royalties to the developers/publisher that actually own the IP.
The nominal charge for avatars (going from what is charged for the same thing on XBL) is the cost of doing business. Those avatars have to be created by artists, and they need to get paid.
What I find sad are people that constantly clamor for more and more but instantly cry foul when they have to pay for something. You guys are saying "Sony promised some free avatars"... have you seen anything to indicate that they suddendly have decided to charge for EVERY avatar? No. Just like with themes, some will be free and some will have a charge. 
It's not really complicated people - if you see value in the avatar buy it - if not don't. Don't judge others to be "sad people" because they see value in something.  

Message 10 of 12 (1,688 Views)
0 Likes