Mar 27 2007
By: Gifted777 Splicer 66 posts

5 Months in and PS3 online play is...

17 replies 30 views Edited Mar 27, 2007
Disappointing.  Sure we have all this nice new tech in our PS3.  Great.  Now, where are the online games with voice chat?  I realize Microsoft mandates it for their games but is that such a bad thing to have standardized online features?  Games like College Hoops 2K7, Armored Core, Marvel Ultimate Alliance all missing key online feature that are present on the other console's version.  Some game flat out dont have online modes at all.  Games like Virtua Tennis.  The PS3 version got a couple of mini-games while the other console got online with voice chat, leaderboards and the works.  This crap is getting old fast.  This piecemeal online has to go.  I am a fan of Sony but the REALLY need to make sure devs dont shortchange them in the online department.

I dont think home will change this trend either.  I could be wrong but the PS3 can do much better than this.
Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 18 (30 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
7 posts

Re: 5 Months in and PS3 online play is...

Mar 27, 2007
100% agree!! I have both systems and tennis for example..i would have bought the ps3 version but instead opted for the 360 for the voice online. Its all about your friends online. if we cannot chat its not good. F1 is already boring for me...probably trade it in for that reason. Sony has to start making it mandatory..that includes THERE games ALSO!!

Message Edited by Triggerfish on 03-26-2007 09:05 PM
Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 18 (30 Views)
0 Likes
Survivor
2763 posts

Mar 27, 2007

Message Edited by Chasm817 on 03-27-2007 12:05 AM
Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 18 (30 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
66 posts

Mar 27, 2007

Chasm817 wrote:
Games not having online is not Sony's fault at all. What is their fault however is that they weren't sure how online would work until close to launch.  I remember reading that certain games (tony hawk for one) didn't incorporate online because they (devs) had no idea what sony wanted to do with it.

I realize its not Sonys fault completely, but they share a portion of the blame for not fleshing out their online better.  After launch, i blame the devs.  What possible reason could the have for including voice chat in one game and not the other platforms version?  Or better yet to leave it out entirely?  Its not like it is hard to implement.
Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 18 (30 Views)
0 Likes
Survivor
2763 posts

Mar 27, 2007

Gifted777 wrote

I realize its not Sonys fault completely, but they share a portion of the blame for not fleshing out their online better.  After launch, i blame the devs.  What possible reason could the have for including voice chat in one game and not the other platforms version?  Or better yet to leave it out entirely?  Its not like it is hard to implement.

Yea I'm sure it's not that difficult.  Resistance has voice chat.  I guess maybe it's hard to code?! I really have no idea.  All I know is that it sucks.  I've always wondered what was so good about XBL.  I always heard people asking how will Sony counter XBL etc.  I guess what makes XBL so good is voice chat huh?  But what people don't understand is that xbox doesn't decide to put voice chat in games.  The devs do.  Unless there is something else out there that makes XBL shine.
Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 18 (30 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
66 posts

Mar 27, 2007

Chasm817 wrote:

Gifted777 wrote

Yea I'm sure it's not that difficult.  Resistance has voice chat.  I guess maybe it's hard to code?! I really have no idea.  All I know is that it sucks.  I've always wondered what was so good about XBL.  I always heard people asking how will Sony counter XBL etc.  I guess what makes XBL so good is voice chat huh?  But what people don't understand is that xbox doesn't decide to put voice chat in games.  The devs do.  Unless there is something else out there that makes XBL shine.

Actually, if the devs want online play in their game they have to include support for all of XBL services.  Its not optional.  Stops the devs from half assing like we are seeing on PS3.  I wouldnt even mind paying for a service like XBL.  If the best free online has to offer is what we see on the PS3 and silly Wii friends codes, i will pay for the service.
Please use plain text.
Message 6 of 18 (30 Views)
0 Likes
Survivor
2763 posts

Mar 27, 2007
Once again. What's so good about XBL? (Not trying to be a smart ass)
Please use plain text.
Message 7 of 18 (30 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
4458 posts

Mar 27, 2007
Don't compare systems they will lock this thread if you keep it up.
RED-DOG

Photobucket
Please use plain text.
Message 8 of 18 (30 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
4458 posts

Mar 27, 2007
5 months in & i'm pretty disappointed too. It needs a BIG FIX NOW! If we are having trouble with mic's and in game communications, What is going to happen when HOME comes out??? I can't believe how behind the times this future system is right now. I'm hanging in and going to wait it out a bit longer before the gloves start to come off. The releases are done for now and maybe they can address the issues instead of giving us ways to donate our system for science. Folding seems to be getting the most out of the system. I'm jealous!
RED-DOG

Photobucket
Please use plain text.
Message 9 of 18 (30 Views)
0 Likes
Survivor
2763 posts

Mar 27, 2007

red dog1 wrote:
5 months in & i'm pretty disappointed too. It needs a BIG FIX NOW! If we are having trouble with mic's and in game communications, What is going to happen when HOME comes out??? I can't believe how behind the times this future system is right now. I'm hanging in and going to wait it out a bit longer before the gloves start to come off. The releases are done for now and maybe they can address the issues instead of giving us ways to donate our system for science. Folding seems to be getting the most out of the system. I'm jealous!

The games will come.  5 months is not a long time for a system to be out at all.  Apparently devs are having a difficult time with the system as well, but that'll change in a few more months.  I'm sure Sony knows now that online is a must this generation.  They can't just rely on exclusives either.  They gotta give us services like HOME, and change up their online plans.  It'll happen soon.
Please use plain text.
Message 10 of 18 (30 Views)
0 Likes