Nov 11 2009
By: kyonic First Son 8 posts

2 PS3 on home network

20 replies 28 views Edited Nov 11, 2009

Hello I have a new PS3 Slim and an older PS3 and I am trying to play with my roommate on our home wireless network.  I have a Linksys WRT54G and we are both connected to the router no problem.  I know this is a problem and I have read some other forums about it but have not found step be step directions on home to fix it.  I was wondering if anyone knows how to set it up so it can be done?  I have also noticed that if i am using a ps3 as a media server it messes with or disconnects PC's on our network.

-Do I need to forward ports in my router setup? if so what are the port numbers?

-Do both of the PS3's need the same IP address?

-Can i get a secound router to fix the issue?

I would greatly appreciate help, and I understand that this questions is asked alot, the problem is no one explains what to do.

Thanks

Kyle

Message 1 of 21 (28 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
8705 posts

Re: 2 PS3 on home network

Nov 11, 2009

You can only forward a TCP/IP port to one system, so if your router requires port forwarding one system will only work at a time.

TCP/IP requires a unique IP adress for all devices on the network, you can not "share" an IP.

depending on your ISP a second router might be possible. But if the ISP is willing to give out two ip addresses you would not need the router (except as a firewall)

Message 2 of 21 (28 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
2087 posts

Nov 11, 2009

kyonic wrote:

Hello I have a new PS3 Slim and an older PS3 and I am trying to play with my roommate on our home wireless network.  I have a Linksys WRT54G and we are both connected to the router no problem.  I know this is a problem and I have read some other forums about it but have not found step be step directions on home to fix it.  I was wondering if anyone knows how to set it up so it can be done?  I have also noticed that if i am using a ps3 as a media server it messes with or disconnects PC's on our network.

-Do I need to forward ports in my router setup? if so what are the port numbers?

-Do both of the PS3's need the same IP address?

-Can i get a secound router to fix the issue?

I would greatly appreciate help, and I understand that this questions is asked alot, the problem is no one explains what to do.

Thanks

Kyle

1) I'm unsure, but I don't think you can forwards ports to more than one internal IP address, I might be wrong though.  Why are you forwarding ports anyway?

2) No no no no no.  No two devices on an internal network should ever have the same internal IP address.

3) In general, no, it sounds like your router just doesn't play nice.  Getting a second router won't solve anything.

A good set up: UPnP enabled for your router.  Connect your two PS3s, go on your merry way.

My recommendation, get a new router or media server program, but we kinda need more information.

Also: what is the issue?  You can't really use the PS3 as a media server.  You can use it as a DLNA client, but not a server.  Can you give us more info?

Message Edited by EncodedNybble on 11-10-2009 04:16 PM
Message Edited by EncodedNybble on 11-10-2009 04:16 PM
Message Edited by EncodedNybble on 11-10-2009 04:22 PM
Message 3 of 21 (28 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
8 posts

Nov 11, 2009

1 i have not forwarded any ports i was wondering if i should so now i know.

2 and both ps3's have different ip's

3 i think i will maybe need a diff router.  what is a good one?

k the upnp is enabled i just checked

what other info do you need?

Message 4 of 21 (28 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
2087 posts

Nov 11, 2009

kyonic wrote:

1 i have not forwarded any ports i was wondering if i should so now i know.

2 and both ps3's have different ip's

3 i think i will maybe need a diff router.  what is a good one?

k the upnp is enabled i just checked

what other info do you need?

Need the basic issue of what exact issue are you seeing.  You hook up both PS3s and what happens? What is occurring to make you think something is broken?

Message 5 of 21 (28 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3621 posts

Nov 11, 2009
Can't you port forward to one and then set the other one to DMZ?
Brandon Jackson: Web Graphic Designer
Message 6 of 21 (28 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
8 posts

Nov 11, 2009
ok whenever i send an invite or i get an invite to join a game between our two ps3's and error comes up saying "ERROR-The game session you were invited to is no longer valid." 
Message 7 of 21 (28 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
200 posts

Nov 11, 2009

I'm not sure. but i was under the impression that two ps3's going through the same connection cannot connect to each other.

could be wrong though

Message 8 of 21 (28 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
200 posts

Nov 11, 2009

forogot to add. i think it is because, the ip address's you setup for your PS3's PC etc are for your internal network. ie. they are private address's for your private network. once the connection hits the reuter and goes out into the web. the isp assigns a public ip to your connection. ie one IP address. it is fine to use your pc and ps3 at the same time to do different things. but to the PSN it will appear that you have 2 connections from the sam IP. which cannot be done.

A new reuter would not fix this you would actually need a 2nd internet connection to make this work.

Thats how i understand it anyway.

Message 9 of 21 (28 Views)
0 Likes
Monster Hunter
42 posts

Nov 11, 2009
no u dnt need 2 routers just a good 1, i have att gateway 2wire router and 2 ps3's hooked up wireless works fine no problems.
Message 10 of 21 (28 Views)
0 Likes