Highlighted
Apr 01 2011
By: CompanionCube First Son 13 posts
Accepted Solution

playstation-email.com --- Spam/phishing scam or legit?

8 replies 8697 views Edited Apr 1, 2011

Two or three times now I've received messages from @playstation-email.com addresses that look very similar to the messages I receive regularly with updates to games and media available on PlayStation Network. Gmail disables images and I don't trust the domain so I'm only judging based on the markup without the images shown. In any case, the embedded links also appear to link through the playstation-email.com domain, which seems very fishy (phishy?). I tried to search for the domain the last time I got a message and again this time, but both times I didn't see any obviously relevant results. For now, I've been flagging the messages as spam in Gmail without bothering to read them or show images, etc.

Has anybody else been receiving these messages? Perhaps Sony can persue this if it's not them sending these messages, or at least warn other users... As I said, they look pretty legitimate. If it wasn't for the domain (and Gmail not trusting the images by default) I probably wouldn't have thought anything of it. If it actually is legitimate then I would say that it's in very poor taste for Sony to use such an unauthentic domain for correspondence.

/rant

Message 1 of 9 (8,697 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
18928 posts

Re: playstation-email.com --- Spam/phishing scam or legit?

Apr 1, 2011

|News & updates = PlayStation_Network@playstation-email.com

-From this email sony will send you: PSN weekly updates, special PSN offers

e.g. of email headers: Your-PSN-ID, Here's your PlayStation Store update, PlayStation 3 News, What's New in Movies and TV on PlayStation Store, etc...

PSN Transactions = DoNotReply@ac.playstation.net

-From this email sony will send you: Any activity related to adding, buying, etc on the PSN Store.

e.g. of email headers: Funds have been added to your wallet, PlayStation(R)Network Purchase Confirmation

---NOTE

By default, gmail blocks all HTTP images. This is so in the case you are opening a legit spam-email, the sender doesn't know that their email(s) are being read. The idea is to make the spammer believe that their emails are not being read, therefore being nothing but a waste of time.

e.g. Think of one of those webpage visitor counters.

He sent 100 emails out.

75 people viewed the email with the images enabled. Base on the image hits he can know that exactly 75 of his email got viewed/read.

The other 25, he has no idea, because the server never got a request.

In today day and age, this feature is more of a "peace of mind" for the end user, nothing else. Spammers will keep spamming no matter what.

To me the biggest Spam-emails are those .pps emails I get from almost every family member of mine. Rrrr lol

7FXb|Thunderstorm Summer[Twitter] @SevenFactors Welcoming Committee 2.0 MVP
Message 2 of 9 (8,697 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
13 posts

Apr 1, 2011

So you're saying that these domains are legitimate? Can you link to an offical source from Sony listing the address as their own? It just seems like a sloppy domain name to use (to me, it looks like a domain that a phisher/spammer would choose).

I understand the reasons behind not loading external resources in untrusted E-mail and I believe it can and does help. Spammers have to deal with physical and artificial limits on how many messages they can send and it makes sense to target the fish that bite instead of the fish that won't. That process can be almost entirely automatic, which is why the links in spam messages (and in most "legit" commercial E-mail too) all have tracking numbers attached to them. Surely Sony knows when you load an HTML message from them in its entirety as well, plus the links you click within, which they probably use for various analysis and marketing purposes.

The whois lookup returns:

Registrant:
Direct Partners, Inc.
4755 Alla Road
Marina Del Rey, 90292-6311 90292
US

Domain name: PLAYSTATION-EMAIL.COM

Administrative Contact:
    Benton, Brad 
    4755 Alla Road
    Marina Del Rey, 90292-6311 90292
    US
    310-482-0040
Technical Contact:
    Admin, Domain 
    2531 W. 237th Street
    Suite 102
    Torrance, CA 90505
    US
    310-856-0550    Fax: 310-856-0557

Registration Service Provider:
    InterWorld Communications Inc,
    310-856-0550
    310-856-0557 (fax)
    http://www.interworld.net
    This company may be contacted for domain login/passwords,
    DNS/Nameserver changes, and general domain support questions.

Registrar of Record: TUCOWS, INC.
Record last updated on 11-Feb-2011.
Record expires on 11-Feb-2021.
Record created on 11-Feb-2011.

Registrar Domain Name Help Center:
    http://tucowsdomains.com

Domain servers in listed order:
    NS2.INTERWORLD.NET  
    NS3.INTERWORLD.NET  
    NS.INTERWORLD.NET  

Domain status: clientTransferProhibited
                clientUpdateProhibited

It's entirely possible (and likely) that Sony contracts the advertising mail out to third parties, but it would be nice if they used domains that look legitimate ... Anybody can register a variant domain name containing "playstation" and pretend to be legit... Is there somwhere Sony lists its (and affiliated) addresses and domains?

Message 3 of 9 (8,697 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
18928 posts

Apr 2, 2011

The information provided on my previous post is of my solely experience as a demanding but entertained customer of Sony Computer Entertainment.

The email addresses listed above; I started to get after becoming a member of PlayStation Network and agreeing to recieve emails from them and their partners. Also, some betas require of this.  How is Rewards, T-shirt?

|This options are accessible from the XMB and Online.

Check them out. You can turn these options off and see their effect.

-----If you visit http://playstation-email.com/

If you were to visint that website, the below (and much more) information about the domain is provided

Innovyx Permission and Privacy Policy

This server is used by Innovyx, Inc. for permission marketing on the Internet.

The transmission of unsolicited commercial email through this system is expressly forbidden.

If you have received unwanted, unsolicited email sent through this system please forward a copy with your comments to abuse@innovyx.com. You may also contact us at:

Privacy Officer,

Innovyx, Inc.

710 Second Avenue, #790

Seattle, WA 98104

tel: (206) 674 8720

Innovyx. Inc Website: http://www.innovyx.com

Their Clients page http://www.innovyx.com/clients.php

---They don't agree

The Contact information provided on the whois information you posted, the contact information found on the information found at http://playstation-email.com/ don't agree.

Maybe this is just one of those messes that become of the ways advertising copanies work?

---One of their emails

Their emails can also be viewed as webpages

|Here is a link to one of them.

--I got the link directly from one of their emails "View this message as a Web page"

http://playstation-email.com/v?xnclWlWEHHPWWncvPPlJ

7FXb|Thunderstorm Summer[Twitter] @SevenFactors Welcoming Committee 2.0 MVP
Message 4 of 9 (8,697 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
22 posts

Apr 6, 2011

Innovyx is basically a messaging service for which SCEA is a client. You may or may not receive messages from Sony via an Innovyx based on your communications preferences. PlayStation_Network@playstation-email.com is a valid PSN sender's address. An easy way to spot a fake is to hover your mouse cursor over some of the links in the email, and if you can find the string "&psu_number=(ten digit number)&email=(your email here)" at the end of the link, then it's genuine, because the email is sent to your box based on registration information entered when you registered your PS3 and email on the PSN. If you recently received an email from the "@playstation-email.com" address advertising the SOCOM4 beta, hover your cursor over the link on the "VISIT SOCOM.COM" dogtag, and you'll see what I mean.

Message 5 of 9 (8,697 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
1 posts

May 28, 2011

I wouldn't trust it at all. Halfway down the email was the following link:

If interested, please submit your email address by June 28, 2011, at 11:59:59 PM CST at:us.playstation.com/news/consumeralerts/identity-theft-protection.

Only clicking it didn't take you to us.playstation.com/news/consumeralerts/identity-theft-protection

It took you to

http://playstation-email.com/r?xnJPnHqEcWWTPvEHWTvPqnPcqnW&promocode=AT004&campaign_name=PSNQriocity...)

If it's not fishy enough that it's taking me to playstation-email.com instead of us.playstation.com (where it says it's taking me), it should be fishy that the phrase "PSNQriocityEM" never appears anywhere on the internet except in these links from playstation-email.com (Google search it)

It's also fishy that the link contins my email address. What is it signing me up for?

I removed my email address and psu number from the URL and then went to see where the link was taking me. After 0.4 seconds on a different domain (logging information, likely) it redirects you to us.playstation.com/news/consumeralerts/identity-theft-protection

Very strange. I would definitely trust us.playstation.com/news/consumeralerts/identity-theft-protection. I would not trust playtstation-email.com

Message 6 of 9 (8,697 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
212 posts

Dec 16, 2011

This thread could use a bump.

Got an email from 1840178-0817406122z@playstation-email.com

It stated I haven't used my wallet in 6 months when, let's just say, I have used my wallet in 6 months.

Message 7 of 9 (8,697 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
24784 posts

Dec 16, 2011

ryiuk666 wrote:

This thread could use a bump.

Got an email from 1840178-0817406122z@playstation-email.com

It stated I haven't used my wallet in 6 months when, let's just say, I have used my wallet in 6 months.

Actually there are threads about the latest scam already

http://community.us.playstation.com/message/36492093#36492093

but in this case I guess the more the merrier. Don't want someone to miss it and become a victim.

Message 8 of 9 (8,697 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5406 posts

Dec 16, 2011

I must say, the phishing email looked pretty legit at first glance. Someone definitely put some effort into creating it.

Message 9 of 9 (8,697 Views)
0 Likes