Jul 11 2013
By: Salg007 First Son 1 posts

obtaining an IP address to be able to play online games for PS#

4 replies 219 views Edited Jul 11, 2013

I have been playing on line for more then 15 months with a new Uverse AT&T wireless connection, and very easy you go to network settings, utilize easy, and scan and you put in the SSID number and the wep key and your up and running, today it does not work, went back and forth with technical support both Playstation and Internet provider, no one can help, instead of ssid number and wep key, when you scan for what is available, now shows WPA2-PSK and now requestiong WAP key, contacted AT&T internet provider, claims to utilize the wep key number which is 10 digits vs. 8, system responds by claiming error code 80130182, then it said, or the screen read, could not obtain IP adress server timed out, maybe i could enter the IP address manually, but where do you get one?

thank you in advance for your time and patience, i believe computer hakers send out viruses to our units, due to the fact of receiving many vulger messages from other players, and when you try to file a grievence report, your system freezes, and this is just a new one where they wipe out your IP address so you can not get back on line, while Playstation and the internet poviders point fingers instead of helping resolve the issue besides unplugging everything and restarting modems and units, power wiping, please help to get a IP address so my unit will stop timing out because the unit is not picking up the IP address automatically.

Sincerely

SalG007

been online for more then 5 years with 3 different units, maybe this will force me to buy the new playstation 4 because we can not trouble shoot this internet connection problem of IP address timing out , so can not get even a internet test or connection setting, very frustrating

Message 1 of 5 (219 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1799 posts

Re: obtaining an IP address to be able to play online games for PS#

Jul 11, 2013

Enter the SSID and the password.

Currently playing Resident Evil 5 Gold Edition

60GB Fat OFW 4.50
250GB SuperSlim OFW 4.50
Message 2 of 5 (205 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
994 posts

Jul 11, 2013
Is DHCP & uPNP enabled?
Message 3 of 5 (203 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
28139 posts

Jul 12, 2013

Generally if you are on a wireless connection, the IP address comes from the wireless router.  The address is not a real Internet address that anyone else can see.  It is a private network address that is only visible on the home network.  The real Internet address comes from your ISP.  Typically you only get one, and it is assigned to your broadband modem, and is used by the NAT gateway in your router.  The PS3 never sees the real Internet address, so there is no way that "hackers" can wipe out your IP address so you can't get online.  That isn't how IP networks work.  If you have the correct wireless access credentials, and you can't get an IP address, then the wireless signal to your PS3 is probably too weak, either because it is too far from the router, or there is too much wall or ceiling between the PS3 and the router.

GKP
Message 4 of 5 (187 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
4 posts

Jul 12, 2013
The PS3 never sees the real Internet address, so there is no way that "hackers" can wipe out your IP address so you can't get online

that's not true
Message 5 of 5 (178 Views)
0 Likes