Highlighted
Jan 28 2011
By: iamaluunatic First Son 4 posts

incorrect upload speed?

6 replies 319 views Edited Jan 28, 2011

when i go to network settings and test my connection speed, the upload speed that i get is very low to what shows on my laptop when i run speedtest. i know the test is suppose to be just an approximation, but the speed it's giving me is not even a fourth of what i pay my isp for.

i am getting 20mbps DL and 3.5mbps upload on my laptops.

on my ps3, i get 17mbps DL and ONLY 700kbps upload!!

when i play black ops, it usually picks me to be host and it shows everyone in the game full green bars with a few 3 bars but it's still very very very laggy for all of us. and i feel it's because my ps3 or the psn is not reading my speed correctly.

i am connecting my ps3 with a cat6 cable to my gigabit router.

i tried switching different ethernet cables.

i reseted my router and tried it again.

here's the funny part: when i go check my internet speed through the playsation browser, it shows the right speed!

can someone explain to me what's the problem and if there's any solution to this?

Message 1 of 7 (319 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
81 posts

Re: incorrect upload speed?

Jan 28, 2011

have you set up a dmz on your router yet? lag is usually not due to a speed issue but a firewall issue so enable the dmz mode on your dlink. you will need the ip address on your ps3 so go to settings, network settings, settings and connection status list and get your ps3's ip address, you may want to call dlink to have someone walk you through it or go online to check for you router's user guide and follow the steps.  If you have a separate modem from your router you can also wire your playstation straight into it and it shouldn't lag.

Message 2 of 7 (318 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
81 posts

Jan 28, 2011

before you set up the dmz on a dlink you have to reserve an ip address; you'll have to log in to your dlink first and then go to the setup tab and then click on network settings and then scroll down to the section titled add dhcp reservation.  Then type in for the computer name: "ps3" and then type in the ip and mac addresses from your  ps3.  To get those you'll go to the network settings as I described above.  then click save.  This is how to do it on a Dlink gigabit router model # dir 655.  If you have a different router than this you'll have to find the steps on the web or call your router manufacturer to find out how to do this. 

Message 3 of 7 (318 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
4 posts

Jan 29, 2011

thanks for the response.

i have a linksys wrt610 wireless router.

i had my router's DMZ enable. i tried disabling SPI firewall as well just to see if that would help but it made no difference.

i did try the DCHP reservation. my wireless router made it very simple to do so but unfortunately it didn't help. i am still receiving the same speed read. what i dont get is that when i go to test my speed through the browser, everything is correct

thanks for trying to help though. i appreciate it.

Message 4 of 7 (318 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
81 posts

Jan 29, 2011

what's the name of the modem your're using?  Have you tried wiring directly into it yet?  It's a good way to test if it is a router issue or not.  If it doesn't lag when you are wired straight into the modem then it is a linksys issue, if it still happens then it is nothing to do with the linksys.  Does that make sense?

Message 5 of 7 (318 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
2301 posts

Jan 29, 2011

Upload to PSN servers

You may never hit your max upload if the route your taking does not allow it

So trace route to see where it goes to get there.

Think that right

Wants Timesplitters 4 Smiley Sad *11-25-2010 Time Splitter rank Smiley Very Happy *
Get your Portable ID!
Message 6 of 7 (318 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
4 posts

Feb 19, 2011

nerdlegend, do you mind elaborating?

i am using a motrolla 6120 surfboard modem. it's a docsis 3.0.

i tried directly connecting the modem to the ps3 but it doesn't connect that way for some reason...

Message 7 of 7 (318 Views)
0 Likes