Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Apr 05 2012
By: AcousticAK First Son 16 posts

i keep getting d/c from online? WHats the best router for me?

11 replies 38 views Edited Apr 5, 2012

Im playing dark souls and im about to go to xbox live cause i keep getting d/c. I have never been from xbox. Just wondering if its my router. I have a lyxsis.

Im stumped cause my iphone and wii both run great on router except the ps3. I can never stay online for more than a lil bit.

My router is a wireless g - 2.4 54 mbps.

wonder if i should get a new one cause it is about 3 years old.

If i have to i have time to to return my ps3 qand get a xbox. Just thought id come here first for help.

also my router is hooked up to my pc and wii.

i also have roadrunner turbo

Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 12 (38 Views)
0 Likes
VP of Gaming
29038 posts

Re: i keep getting d/c from online? WHats the best router for me?

Apr 6, 2012

AcousticAK wrote:

Im playing dark souls and im about to go to xbox live cause i keep getting d/c. I have never been from xbox. Just wondering if its my router. I have a lyxsis.

Im stumped cause my iphone and wii both run great on router except the ps3. I can never stay online for more than a lil bit.

My router is a wireless g - 2.4 54 mbps.

wonder if i should get a new one cause it is about 3 years old.

If i have to i have time to to return my ps3 qand get a xbox. Just thought id come here first for help.

also my router is hooked up to my pc and wii.

i also have roadrunner turbo

Is your routers firmware up to date, also what results do you get from an internet connection test, are they all normal?

Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 12 (38 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
16 posts

Apr 6, 2012

i found oout where to get my fw at for my router. I have no idea how to install it. How can i enter my connection stuff by hand? Where do i get the info from to out in?

i was thinking of getting a N adapter and geting a dual band fast router. Can i do this? OR do i have to contact sony?

Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 12 (38 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
7785 posts

Apr 6, 2012

You can buy a new wireless router if you like. The PS3 doesn't use wireless N, so it will only connect using wireless G, unless you buy a wireless bridge to convert the wired port on the PS3 into a separate wireless N radio.

However, you can probably fine tune your current router and try to get that working. Restart the router first and see if that lets you connect. To update firmware and change settings, you need to find out how to log into the settings webpage for your router. The instructions will be in the manual that comes with it. If you've lost the manual, then you can probably find one for download from the manufacturer's website. Have the model number handy when searching.

Change the wireless channel to 1, 6 or 11 once you get into the router settings. Choose the one that lets you connect most consistently.

The router settings webpage will also have an option for uploading a firmware update file to the router.

Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 12 (38 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
16 posts

Apr 6, 2012

You can buy a new wireless router if you like. The PS3 doesn't use wireless N, so it will only connect using wireless G, unless you buy a wireless bridge to convert the wired port on the PS3 into a separate wireless N radio.

isa that the thing that is a usb stick and plugs into ur ps3? Then i cna just buy a dual band fast router and it will work?

Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 12 (38 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
7785 posts

Apr 6, 2012

No, USB wireless sticks won't work, because the PS3 doesn't work like a personal computer and doesn't have the right software to use them.

Please use plain text.
Message 6 of 12 (38 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
16 posts

Apr 6, 2012

so what do i need? can u link me some stuff?

Please use plain text.
Message 7 of 12 (38 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
7785 posts

Apr 6, 2012
Please use plain text.
Message 8 of 12 (38 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
16 posts

Apr 7, 2012

ok so i get that and a dual band router? I want the fastest. I think 450 is fastest. How does that acsess point hook to the ps3?

Please use plain text.
Message 9 of 12 (38 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
7785 posts

Apr 7, 2012

The access point connects to your PS3's wired gigabit ethernet port.

You could get a wireless N 600 Mbps router, but it probably won't improve your internet connection or let you game better.

Please use plain text.
Message 10 of 12 (38 Views)
0 Likes