Mar 24 2013
By: helppleasecant First Son 5 posts

connecting 2 ps3's on one network

6 replies 510 views Edited Mar 24, 2013

Hey I've been having alot of connection issues since my roomate got a ps3 is there anything special I need to do to have both systems playing online at the same time?

Message 1 of 7 (510 Views)
0 Likes
Shinra Executive
34104 posts

Re: connecting 2 ps3's on one network

Mar 24, 2013

helppleasecant wrote:

Hey I've been having alot of connection issues since my roomate got a ps3 is there anything special I need to do to have both systems playing online at the same time?

Yes there is, as far as I know one of the PS3's needs to have a different or static ip address so that both can be online simultaneously.

BRIT-KO

Message 2 of 7 (505 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
5 posts

Mar 24, 2013

Any idea how to do this? I sure don't.

Message 3 of 7 (502 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1576 posts

Mar 24, 2013

You need a router or a hub.

Message 4 of 7 (495 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
18760 posts

[ Edited ]
Mar 25, 2013

helppleasecant wrote:

Note that if you are living in a dorm then your network is not really under your control so you might have to speak to your sysadmin.

With that said

We don't know your setup, nor your network hardware, nor the details of your connection issues; but assuming that your router's does DHCP & UPnP well, all you have to do is enable UPnP at the router level, as well as, in both of the PS3's network settings. DHCP will take care of the IP assignment/leasing & UPnP will handle the port assignments.

The information on how to access your router's web interface and enable UPnP is on the router's manual. Need help with the PS3 network settings? Follow this link https://support.us.playstation.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/977 and make use of the interactive wizard.

7FXb|Thunderstorm Summer[Twitter] @SevenFactors Welcoming Committee 2.0 MVP
Message 5 of 7 (262 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
5 posts

Mar 25, 2013

wow thanks for the info everyone. Im actually just connected to a modem but I do have a router so I'm going to try and set that up. Hopefully it'll fix the problem.

Message 6 of 7 (251 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
19788 posts

Mar 26, 2013

It depends on how you want to play.  A router that supports Universal Plug and Play is all you need to use two PS3s on the same network at the same time, but if you want both PS3s to play the same game online together at the same time, then it gets more complicated.  Some games expect each player in a match to have a different Internet IP address. With most ISPs, the only way to do that is to have two broadband modems, and connect each PS3 to a different one. PS3s cost $500+ when they launched, so the console wasn't designed under the assumption that a household would have more than one of them.  Now that PS3s cost half as much, it has become more common, but it is still relatively rare.

GKP
Message 7 of 7 (242 Views)