MVP Support
40037 posts

Re: acount got hacked

Mar 26, 2013

Doppelgangergang wrote:

moblesuit75 wrote:

All the more reason to cycle your account User Names (if possible) and Passwords (Always).

I do this once a month.  It is a bit of a pain, but it ensures me the least possibility of actually being hacked.  As well, choosing a favorite game name as your password, is probably not advisable for a Gaming Network.  Just saying.

If you have Gmail, using Two-Factor Authentication for your account greatly decreases chances of hacking. I have mine with 2-Factor and my phone generates a new 6-digit code every minute. This ensures even if jerks guess my password, they won't get in without my phone.

I use this, it's a great feature.

BRIT-KO

CMNTY_SIG_MVP_500x100_002B.jpg

Customer Service - 1-800-345-SONY (7669)
Available Mon to Fri From 8am - 8pm PST
Message 21 of 23 (160 Views)
Keyblade Wielder
7546 posts

Mar 26, 2013

Lots of useful info in this "I got hacked" thread this time around. I have to look up this two-factor proctection thing. Since I don't know what it is I am sure I don't use it!

Message 22 of 23 (124 Views)
MVP Support
18927 posts

Mar 26, 2013

GOW71 wrote:

Lots of useful info in this "I got hacked" thread this time around. I have to look up this two-factor proctection thing. Since I don't know what it is I am sure I don't use it!

You should look into it.
https://support.google.com/accounts/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=180744

Basically 2 step verification/factors means that in order for you to log into your account you will be require to provide your: factor 1- password & factor 2- random code that will be sent [txt msg] or phoned in [computer call] to the phone number you provide. In other words, in order for you to log into you account you will depend on something you know and something you always have, your phone.

Activating the 2 step verificaton feature will also allow you to create application-specific passwords

https://support.google.com/accounts/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=185833

which you can use with devices you use to connect to google. In the case your device gets lost or stolen, you can log into google and stop an specific device from having access to your google services. For example, I use this on my phone for google voice & gmail. I use it on my iPad for Mail & on Thunderbird.

There are other companies/websites who are using 2-factors authentication too. Two that come to mind are dropbox and facebook.

7FXb|Thunderstorm Summer[Twitter] @SevenFactors Welcoming Committee 2.0 MVP
Message 23 of 23 (118 Views)