Highlighted
Lombax Warrior
116 posts

Re: Youtube not working with PS3 browser anymore

Sep 1, 2013

i don't understand the process of how using a proxy server is going to fix the ps3 browser having outdated flash & java. to me the multiple posts about it are spam, it doesn't make any sense at all to use a proxy server for basic youtube viewing. i could see region locked videos working that way but i don't see how that will fix the ps3's browser being outdated, if someone could further explain this & how it would work i'd be more open to the idea.

that's our problem here though the ps3's browser is highly outdated compared to say firefox. the reason behind this is fairly simple though, free games. if anyone took notice a few years ago they started offering ps3 versions of popular free flash games in the store for $0.99, this immediately red flagged in my mind. this was the reason behind not offering a normal web browser. they saw the potential loss of people playing free games like quake live bloons etc. & put an end to the availability of these games through the ps3's browser. with these free games that are highly popular among PC users people wouldn't have to pay a dime to play them.

the potential loss of kickbacks from normal blu-ray games as well as the digital PSN copies would be staggering. sony wouldn't get a single cent off these games if they were left freely available. with normal games sony gets kickbacks from multiple parts of the process, there is the development kits to make a ps3 game, then the certification process, then the medium in which it's sold & sony at last check had a monopoly on blu-ray technology so that's a double whammy in the blu-ray discs AND the burning of the discs, then you have the digital versions which cost to have them put on the PS store, then we have the updates which also require certification by sony for a huge fee before they can be released & any gamer or programmer worth his salt knows you'll have to update the game eventually because of some bugs. 

all this together is the reason that we don't have a normal web browser that has normal PC features. it has nothing to do with licensing or the inability for the ps3 to handle such operations or some "security" issues it's merely capitalism hard at work & i don't blame them for following it. it's a dirty move nickel & diming their way to ALOT higher profits but while it made them money it has caused us problems. hopefully with PS4 we'll have a better browser & less problems with things like this.

Message 51 of 62 (1,593 Views)
Lombax Warrior
226 posts

[ Edited ]
Sep 2, 2013

@Msx293, have you checked out my post (now with accompanying video) on the bookmarklet, as it not only allows you to watch videos again, you can watch them in double the original quality (480p vs 240p and with stereo sound).

As you say, using a proxy server to achieve this is not a good solution (it's also plastered with ads, plays videos in original low quality (240p, perhaps because video feed is via proxy server) and you probably can't even sign into YouTube). Actually, the only reason it works at all is because, like the PS3 Bookmarklet, it replaces YouTube's Flash video player and this makes me think the service was possibly modified to allow PS3 playback and the guy that's been posting is directly associated with the service.

As covered in my thread (see signature, below) dedicated to the PS3's new browser (introduced with Firmware 4.10, back in February 2012), the PS3 browser is actually based on the latest Web standards and uses WebKit as it's layout engine, as used by Chrome and Safari. The primary thing it lacks is support for HTML 5 video and audio (supports HTML 5 canvas), which would have avoided this issue and I reckon would actually require less PS3 resources (RAM and CPU/SPU time) than Flash 9. 

Sony thankfully replaced the browser as it got to the point where it didn't even work on Google's home page! I actually grew to quite like the original browser, which from a development standpoint was very similar to older versions of IE (it wasn't IE though, it was NetFront from Japan's Access Co.) and the bookmarklet used to have to re-work large parts of YouTube (using JavaScript) to make it run smoothly in the browser. 

So I don't think you can blame Sony for this current issue as I seriously doubt the PS3 could even run Flash 10.x,, with less than 200 MB RAM available for browser and Flash, not forgetting its complex hardware architecture. Also, upgrading Flash is a non-starter anyway as Adobe dropped support for consoles etc. And although I'd love it if Sony added HTML 5 video support, as it would future proof browser to an extent, with the PS4 on the way (bound to support it), why would they?  

Message 52 of 62 (1,556 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
18928 posts

Sep 3, 2013

Tribble6 wrote:

@Msx293, have you checked out my post (now with accompanying video) on the bookmarklet, as it not only allows you to watch videos again, you can watch them in double the original quality (480p vs 240p and with stereo sound).

As you say, using a proxy server to achieve this is not a good solution (it's also plastered with ads, plays videos in original low quality (240p, perhaps because video feed is via proxy server) and you probably can't even sign into YouTube). Actually, the only reason it works at all is because, like the PS3 Bookmarklet, it replaces YouTube's Flash video player and this makes me think the service was possibly modified to allow PS3 playback and the guy that's been posting is directly associated with the service.

As covered in my thread (see signature, below) dedicated to the PS3's new browser (introduced with Firmware 4.10, back in February 2012), the PS3 browser is actually based on the latest Web standards and uses WebKit as it's layout engine, as used by Chrome and Safari. The primary thing it lacks is support for HTML 5 video and audio (supports HTML 5 canvas), which would have avoided this issue and I reckon would actually require less PS3 resources (RAM and CPU/SPU time) than Flash 9. 

Sony thankfully replaced the browser as it got to the point where it didn't even work on Google's home page! I actually grew to quite like the original browser, which from a development standpoint was very similar to older versions of IE (it wasn't IE though, it was NetFront from Japan's Access Co.) and the bookmarklet used to have to re-work large parts of YouTube (using JavaScript) to make it run smoothly in the browser. 

So I don't think you can blame Sony for this current issue as I seriously doubt the PS3 could even run Flash 10.x,, with less than 200 MB RAM available for browser and Flash, not forgetting its complex hardware architecture. Also, upgrading Flash is a non-starter anyway as Adobe dropped support for consoles etc. And although I'd love it if Sony added HTML 5 video support, as it would future proof browser to an extent, with the PS4 on the way (bound to support it), why would they?  

Good find, good work around. I have not tried it myself  but  completely replacing the flash player is the way to go. With that said, talk about injection

7FXb|Thunderstorm Summer[Twitter] @SevenFactors Welcoming Committee 2.0 MVP
Message 53 of 62 (1,538 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
116 posts

Sep 4, 2013

the browser itself hasn't been updated alot but they did improve alot of things since the first iteration of it which took black magic & luck to use on any website made after 1995. the problem with updating the browser to say firefox & utilising it on a ps3 isn't so much with the technical aspect as it is more of a problem of sony allowing more use of what processing the ps3 can do. from what i've seen on sites that have dug into the deepest depths of the ps3 there's tons of locked processing power & whatnot that could be accessed & used IF sony would give up the ability to do so. since that'll never happen we have the situation you describe of there not being enough to run everything without having a secondary OS or a modified version of the ps3's OS. so from what i've seen it is sony's problem they could have fixed or forseen, maybe we'll get lucky with ps4 but i'm not holding my breath.

i read that post & looked at the site but i'm not a fan of it. it's too much of a hassle when i have an iphone that will allow me to do the same thing i normally would be doing on youtube which is just listening to music. i don't watch alot of videos, i'll watch a few here & there if it's some news article or something to that effect but i don't religiously watch videos like some people do. it's nice you or whoever made it but again i'd rather just say screw it & use my iphone then my ADD can run wild while i look up whatever else. i like using my browser better because i can use my 7.1 headset & get better audio quality but i don't see the point other than a bit better audio quality & it frees up my browser/ps3 to play whatever or look up whatever. 

again we can only hope sony really has listened to us over the past few years on issues like this & others & will make the ps4 actually better than the ps3 in other areas than just game quality & graphical clarity.

Message 54 of 62 (1,516 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
226 posts

[ Edited ]
Sep 4, 2013

msx293 wrote:

the browser itself hasn't been updated alot but they did improve alot of things since the first iteration of it which took black magic & luck to use on any website made after 1995. the problem with updating the browser to say firefox & utilising it on a ps3 isn't so much with the technical aspect as it is more of a problem of sony allowing more use of what processing the ps3 can do. from what i've seen on sites that have dug into the deepest depths of the ps3 there's tons of locked processing power & whatnot that could be accessed & used IF sony would give up the ability to do so. since that'll never happen we have the situation you describe of there not being enough to run everything without having a secondary OS or a modified version of the ps3's OS. so from what i've seen it is sony's problem they could have fixed or forseen, maybe we'll get lucky with ps4 but i'm not holding my breath.

It hasn't been updated much since February 2012 (there was one significant update), but prior to that, it was a completely different browser, essentialy changing from an IE clone to a browser in the WebKit family of browsers, along with Chrome and Safari. Because of this huge change, it actually displays most xeb sites perfectly, including this forum, when previously you couldn't even post. That's not to say it works on all sites, e.g, Facebook's a no go. Not being able to extend browser functionally, as you can with Firefox, makes browsing totally secure.

i read that post & looked at the site but i'm not a fan of it. it's too much of a hassle when i have an iphone that will allow me to do the same thing i normally would be doing on youtube which is just listening to music. i don't watch alot of videos, i'll watch a few here & there if it's some news article or something to that effect but i don't religiously watch videos like some people do. it's nice you or whoever made it but again i'd rather just say screw it & use my iphone then my ADD can run wild while i look up whatever else. i like using my browser better because i can use my 7.1 headset & get better audio quality but i don't see the point other than a bit better audio quality & it frees up my browser/ps3 to play whatever or look up whatever. 

If you mostly listen to music and have an iPhone then the bookmarklet may not be for you, especially as official music videos are currently blocked (I'm in negotiations with Google to restore playback (o.k. I made YTJennie an irresistible offer) Smiley Wink), however, for everyone else, who like to watch videos on the "big screen", the bookmarklet is hardly a hassle (as demonstrated in accompanying video, it takes around a minute to set up and then takes seconds to use on a page).

again we can only hope sony really has listened to us over the past few years on issues like this & others & will make the ps4 actually better than the ps3 in other areas than just game quality & graphical clarity.

Yeah, hopefully the PS4 gives the Wii U browser a run for it's money, which by all accounts is the undisputed king of console browsers. I still reckon PS3 has the most convenient browsing controller, the PS3 remote (it's a shame they didn't perfect this simple input method).   

Message 55 of 62 (1,512 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
47 posts

Sep 4, 2013
I figured out how to get YouTube to work on ps3! Because I am currently in PSH I will post my solution that I found to fix my YouTube problem later on when I log off.
Message 56 of 62 (1,494 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
226 posts

Sep 6, 2013

If you aren't smitten with the DVD (480p) video quality and stereo sound you get by using the PS3 Bookmarklet on YouTube (normally 240p with mono sound), you'll be pleased to hear YouTube have restored video playback in the browser. 

Message 57 of 62 (1,468 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
49 posts

Sep 17, 2013

i had the same problem  to day change your dns settings on your psn to  8.8.8.8  mine is working again now

8.8.8.4 

Message 58 of 62 (1,397 Views)
First Son
1 posts

Re: YouTube on my PS3 isn't playing videos! Why?

Aug 2, 2014

check 

Message 59 of 62 (942 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
4 posts

Oct 25, 2014

youtube dont work on my to. nor dose FB witch sucks. it keeps saying "The page cannot be displayed. (80710a06)" and its also doing it to yahoo and twitter. I think its because of both sony and the page owner maybe. idk i need help to

Message 60 of 62 (805 Views)
0 Likes