Highlighted
Mar 04 2012
By: Crosby87-97 First Son 21 posts

Wireless Issues with PS3

5 replies 186 views Edited Mar 4, 2012

I've been having problems when using wireless connection with my PS3 when using my laptop' internet at the same time, mainly while playing videos. For example, while playing any Call of Duty game, my connection is 3-4 bars. However, when my laptop's internet is being used, it drops to 1 bar and becomes intolerably slow and laggy. Is there any way to solve this problem besides not using my laptop at the same time, because other people also use it often while I'm playing.

Message 1 of 6 (186 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
7785 posts

Re: Wireless Issues with PS3

Mar 4, 2012

What wireless router are you using? Find the brand and model number.

Often, you can find a software update for your router that will improve connection quality and fix bugs. You can also try adjusting the wireless channel between 1, 6 or 11, or you can try restarting your router.

Message 2 of 6 (186 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
21 posts

Mar 4, 2012

I'm using a Telus Actiontec V1000H router which is the fastest they have to offer. The model number is LNQDL02BQ1000H. I will try your suggestions, though.

Message 3 of 6 (186 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
7785 posts

Mar 4, 2012

Don't bother looking for firmware updates for the Actiontec. If there are any, then Telus will deliver them automatically to your Actiontec gateway.

Do try the channel setting though. Restarting the router can help too, because UPnP is broken and stops working after a period of time. It becomes difficult for other players to connect to you when UPnP stops working.

Message 4 of 6 (186 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
89 posts

Mar 4, 2012

You probably need an upgrade in a router. I use a Netgear N600, no complaints. Between a computer, two laptops, psp, ps3, nook, and a blu-ray, it couldnt be any better

Message 5 of 6 (186 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
7785 posts

Mar 4, 2012

The trouble with the Actiontec gateway is that it's hard to bridge and turn into a regular modem without flashing custom firmware (problematic if you ever need Telus to diagnose your connection). Telus also doesn't offer a standalone modem, or they're very difficult to obtain the last I checked. I ended up going with custom firmware and using my personal router behind the Telus gateway.

Adding a personal router without bridging the Actiontec gateway will likely result in connection difficulties in online games.

Message 6 of 6 (186 Views)
0 Likes