Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Apr 13 2013
By: AscottW First Son 15 posts

Why is the PSN required when I am not accessing Playstation content?

2 replies 126 views Edited Apr 13, 2013

I believe the PS3 would function worlds better if you were only required to log in to the PSN in order to play Playstation brand games and check your account.

I find it rather troublesome to have to log in to the PSN in order to access services like Hulu, Netflix, and YouTube. I can go to my desktop (that's almost 4 years old now) and play Hulu, Netflix, and Youtube videos flawlessly in full 1080p. However, when I power up my Playstation and are forced to sign in and go through servers at Sony, I notice an incredible drop in speed with constant buffering.

I know it is not my internet connection or my router's settings. Therefor, it is definately a problem on Sony's end.

I have Comcast Xfinity 105 and have noticed incredible speeds (of course, nowhere near 105) on my desktop through Speedtest.net at almost every hour of the day (and I am, by no means, a Comcast fanboy; quite the opposite.) I also moved my PS3 into a DMZ in order to get around the port blockages on the Xfinity router/modem. So, I am able to connect to the Playstation Network. Only, speed is a major issue. I am also using wireless on the PS3 with the PS3 having a direct LOS with aroudn 5' seperating the console and the router/modem.

All the technical details aside, my question is this: Why does Sony force me to log in to an obviously sub-par network in order to enjoy non-Sony brand streaming services when my device already has the equipment needed in order to maintain an internet connection? It's almost as if I would be better able to enjoy the product for this specific use without having to use your servers.

PS: I'm fully aware Caveat Emptor fully applies here. However, this still doesn't negate my question or the presumed absurdity of the PSN requirment for non-Sony brand streaming services.

Message 1 of 3 (126 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
11262 posts

Re: Why is the PSN required when I am not accessing Playstation content?

Apr 13, 2013

Well I suppose it could just be for verification purposes (what that means I don't know). Regardless, just be happy you don't have to pay $60 a year just to have access to those same services, as you do on the 360.

R.I.P. Off-Topic.                  "Eerrrm."   -BRIT-KO, on the topic of 'johngie'.
04/09/2014 - Never Forget

Message 2 of 3 (121 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
15 posts

Re: Why is the PSN required when I am not accessing Playstation content?

Apr 13, 2013

johngie wrote:

Well I suppose it could just be for verification purposes (what that means I don't know). Regardless, just be happy you don't have to pay $60 a year just to have access to those same services, as you do on the 360.

Does the 360 have issues with router connectivity or slow download speeds for its streaming services?

Message 3 of 3 (118 Views)
0 Likes